CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 46158
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm
 


The Aussie's budget woes are done. 8)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=976_1358982368


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 46158
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm
 


I doubt the Aussies will care about getting blacklisted by the Eurogreenies given they'll be selling all that oil to Japan and China.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4911
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm
 


The Aussies are smart enough to worry about using it for themselves first.


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 am
 


I try and keep abreast of current events, first I have heard of it here in Oz.....wow....guess the beers on me.


EDIT: P.S - Aussie Beer!
:P

EDIT: PP.S - Eurogreenies go to buggary!


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 am
 


Well this is just going to make Road Warrior null & void.


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 am
 


Obviously interested I just googled this and looked at maybe 15 independent web sites running the story. Oddly every single one of them ran exactly the same article word for word. I find this unusual and somewhat suspect. Could this be a marketing ploy by the drilling company?


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2104
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 am
 


We'd better get the infrastructure in place to get our oil sands oil moving. The window of opportunity will not last forever.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4213
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am
 


This better mean the Commodore and Falcon don't go out of production.

Go Straya!


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 6014
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 am
 


Johnny, I'm not so concerned about selling ours. Remember that there is only a limited supply. if we try to sell as much as possible now, we wont have as much to sell 50 years from now.

Let Aussies share the wealth. We'll be selling less oil, but for a far longer time.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8901
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 am
 


Shilo2010 wrote:
Obviously interested I just googled this and looked at maybe 15 independent web sites running the story. Oddly every single one of them ran exactly the same article word for word. I find this unusual and somewhat suspect. Could this be a marketing ploy by the drilling company?


Just a personal opinion, but I find most stories of reports suggesting a major fossil fuel find don't get much media coverage. Last week I read one about a report suggesting the largest new find in America is in California, and deposits are spread out from central to the Northern area of the state. Did you hear about that one? Doubt it.

The exception might be the find they think they've found off the coast of Israel. That got some coverage, but the media can stir up trouble with that one. They couldn't resist.

Sometimes these reports turn out to be questionable. For example there have been reports of a major deposit off the BC coast, but more recently the possibility is being questioned.

You know the find is actually there when you start to hear about major drops in unemployment in a particular area, because now they're actually drilling.

If all these new finds turn out to be true though, all that talk about peak oil turns out to be a joke.


Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8901
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 am
 


So it was big oil that started the "Peak Oil" scare then, was it?

That's odd, because that's not the impression I got.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2104
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:01 pm
 


Canadian_Mind wrote:
Johnny, I'm not so concerned about selling ours. Remember that there is only a limited supply. if we try to sell as much as possible now, we wont have as much to sell 50 years from now.

Let Aussies share the wealth. We'll be selling less oil, but for a far longer time.


There's validity to what you say, CM, but my impression is that there's so much oil in the sands that even at a high rate of production it will last a long time.

I could have an over-inflated impression of that.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 6014
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:32 pm
 


Jonny_C wrote:
Canadian_Mind wrote:
Johnny, I'm not so concerned about selling ours. Remember that there is only a limited supply. if we try to sell as much as possible now, we wont have as much to sell 50 years from now.

Let Aussies share the wealth. We'll be selling less oil, but for a far longer time.


There's validity to what you say, CM, but my impression is that there's so much oil in the sands that even at a high rate of production it will last a long time.

I could have an over-inflated impression of that.


Still better to use only a little at a time. Because regardless of the peak oil theory, someday we as a planet will be running low. The amount of money we could reap from that would be huge.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8901
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:13 pm
 


QBC wrote:
N_Fiddledog wrote:
So it was big oil that started the "Peak Oil" scare then, was it?

That's odd, because that's not the impression I got.


It absolutely was the oil companies who started that. You think the tree huggers know what oil has been discovered or whats left in existing deposits? Or do you actually believe that the big oil companies have your best interest at heart and are honest about what would drive their 200 to 300% profits down? The oil companies "leaked" that info and the dumbest of the dumb ran with it.


You know...you might have a point. Not the one you think you have, but there are questions as to what side of the argument Big Oil is on.

First though the argument against what you're saying. If Big Oil controls the media message as you suggest, you would think they'd portray themselves better. If Big Oil started the Peak Oil scare why was it people like me and Bart from the Global Warming skeptic side arguing against it? Where were we getting our info? If big oil also runs global warming skeptic info (as often claimed), was big oil financing the message both for and against Peak Oil?

On the other hand big oil does have a verifiable history of being schizophrenic with their messaging. The recent anti-frakking, Matt Damon film was largely financed by Mid-East oil interests. AL Gore swears it was OK to sell his Current TV to oil interests in Qatar, because they share his mind-set. This is one of the few times I'm not certain Al is lying. Big energy has donated to Suzuki. Exxon has flipped back and forth from financially backing both sides of the argument. BP and Shell backed carbon offset plans.

My best assumption from all that is it's complicated, but Big Oil as masters of the message in its entirety doesn't sound credible. Unless you're saying Big Green is all a masterful manipulation of Big Oil. I'd like to hear how that one works.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2732
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 pm
 


Jonny_C wrote:
We'd better get the infrastructure in place to get our oil sands oil moving. The window of opportunity will not last forever.

We probably have 10 years before Australia can build the infrastructure required which makes Keystone vital at the same time this discovery isn't going to slow down operations at FT Mac anytime soon but this could hurt the Middle East. It's time to pack your bags because Australia is the place you wanna be, Crocodiles, Dingo's, Shrimp on the Barbie and Paul Hogan a Movie Star.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.