bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:19 am

A great idea I've seen articles on before.

Take a look at the pics. For student housing these are perfect.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/sustainable-earth/pictures-amsterdam-shipping-container-homes/#/rio-20-un-climate-conference-shipping-container-homes-student_54417_600x450.jpg

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

Interesting, I still think the average Canadian needs way too much space
to make these attractive.

And I'm guessing it's not as cheap as people think it is.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mobileweb/ ... 27433.html

They're doing this in Vancouver, word was each unit cost approx 85,000-100,000 to covert. Nevermind the land you're dropping it on.

For about the same price I got 2,000 square feet in a rural area, nice yard, and a river 2 minutes up the road full of walleye.

Beats the shit out of some old shipping crate. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:12 am

Yep. Seems like bullshit to me. The cost/unit was more than a lower end condo for a lot more square footage.

But that's how we roll in Vancouver. Same with old SRO's they're upgrading at a cost of over 100k per unit. So they get spiffy upgraded single rooms when they could be building new condos on the land for that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 am

andyt wrote:
Yep. Seems like bullshit to me. The cost/unit was more than a lower end condo for a lot more square footage.

But that's how we roll in Vancouver. Same with old SRO's they're upgrading at a cost of over 100k per unit. So they get spiffy upgraded single rooms when they could be building new condos on the land for that.

Paying for the 'fashion' aspect of it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 am

saturn_656 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mobileweb/2012/12/02/shipping-container-vancouver-affordable-housing-bc_n_2227433.html

They're doing this in Vancouver, word was each unit cost approx 85,000-100,000 to covert. Nevermind the land you're dropping it on.

For about the same price I got 2,000 square feet in a rural area, nice yard, and a river 2 minutes up the road full of walleye.

yeah. having the space is nice. However the trend is people moving into hives because of the 'culture' they find in the city. I'm finding it interesting transitioning back into a small village. For the most part it's nice.....getting used to waving at everyone I meet while walking or driving is part of it. Kinmen was the last place we were in that had a small town feel and there the village we lived in had 10 000 people.....and it was only 10 km from the main town of 35 000

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 am

Containerized Living Units (CLU) have been around since the first Gulf War and are not a new invention.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 am

I'm sure being Vancouver the permits cost more than the containers......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 am

That they'd get charged the same amount for property taxes and utilities as a regular condo would makes the whole thing laughable. The land it sits on is worth what it it, whether it's a cardboard box, a shipping container, or a 2000 sg-ft house sitting on it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 am

saturn_656 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mobileweb/2012/12/02/shipping-container-vancouver-affordable-housing-bc_n_2227433.html

NO, You have a river full of pickerel! God Damn Yanks! :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 am

saturn_656 wrote:

That's assuming you can handle living in a rural area - I know I couldn't.

I'm bored living in Edmonton and want to move somewhere bigger, not smaller.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 am

I could handle it. When I was on the pipeline out in Saskatchewan the town I was staying in had houses bigger than mine selling for around $175K. The absolutely wonderful quiet and seeing practically all the stars in the galaxy at night would have been icing on the cake. If it weren't for a senior parent that needs to be near medical assistance that we can only get in the city I'd take off for the sticks in a heartbeat and only come into Calgary once a month just to buy stuff.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am

fifeboy wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:

NO, You have a river full of pickerel! God Damn Yanks! :?

All Walleyes are Pickerel... not all Pickerels are Walleyes.

True story.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am

bootlegga wrote:

Different strokes I guess. I couldn't handle living in a city, breathing the toxic fumes, staring at concrete for a "view", being harassed with street beggers, and generally being surrounded by people with hygiene issues. :wink:

Give me my rural property everytime.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 am

2Cdo wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

Different strokes I guess. I couldn't handle living in a city, breathing the toxic fumes, staring at concrete for a "view", being harassed with street beggers, and generally being surrounded by people with hygiene issues. :wink:

Give me my rural property everytime.

Fukin 'eh. [B-o]