canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

So after years as a retail manager I'm looking at a career change. I quit my job awhile back after saving some money and am currently working evenings for the city at the convention center.

Working evenings has freed up my time for daytime classes so I have decided to go back to school.

Now here is the question. I've been considering nursing for a long time and since both my parents are LPNs (Licensed practical nurse) I've been looking at both the RN and LPN programs.

The big question is that almost all of the salary and career data I'm finding is for the US and not Canada. Anyone out there work in the Nursing profession in Canada? I'd love to know if it's really worth the 2 extra years of school for the salary difference or if I'm better off just taking my LPN now and possibly having the government pay for the RN upgrade at a later time.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Jeff

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Jeff, I know this may be off train of thought, but with you already being an employee of the City, is there room for advancement or perhaps moving to a different department that you may like more?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:03 pm

The health region is under the provincial government not the civic. I love my job with the city all things considered it was the retail job that truly drove me up the wall.

The problem is jobs with the city are so good no one ever quits. It's pretty rare for job openings to come along that don't require some form of trades type training which is not quite my forte. I'm a thinker and analyzer not much for working with my hands.

Still thanks for the input. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am

CanadianJeff wrote:
Anyone out there work in the Nursing profession in Canada? I'd love to know if it's really worth the 2 extra years of school for the salary difference or if I'm better off just taking my LPN now and possibly having the government pay for the RN upgrade at a later time.

Jeff

I'm not, but my girlfriend is an LPN. She went from O.R. scrub nurse to running an extended care facility, and makes as much if not more than I do being an IT contractor.

The work is hellish, the hours are long and she gets little respect from her managers. But she still loves the work. She actually manages several RNs.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 am

My live in LPN works at a private extended care facility and with shift deferential included on a night shift, she's making about $8 an hour less, than what the same person makes with AHS.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 am

Male+RN=$$$

Females rarely stay fulltime in the field and are the one who usually take the maternity leaves. Certainly not in every case but the males tend to move up the seniority list quicker and will tend to have more department choices because of it. Very mobile education if you want to move someplace else in North America too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 am

why not just get a 4 yr BN degree

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 am

CanadianJeff wrote:
So after years as a retail manager I'm looking at a career change. I quit my job awhile back after saving some money and am currently working evenings for the city at the convention center.

Working evenings has freed up my time for daytime classes so I have decided to go back to school.

Now here is the question. I've been considering nursing for a long time and since both my parents are LPNs (Licensed practical nurse) I've been looking at both the RN and LPN programs.

The big question is that almost all of the salary and career data I'm finding is for the US and not Canada. Anyone out there work in the Nursing profession in Canada? I'd love to know if it's really worth the 2 extra years of school for the salary difference or if I'm better off just taking my LPN now and possibly having the government pay for the RN upgrade at a later time.

Jeff

I'm a health care professional, but I work in the field in a support role and also have a few in-laws who DO work in the field as nurses.

I guess the first question is where do you want to work when you're finished?

If you're planning on a hospital, I'd say RN. However, if you're thinking a doctor's office, extended care centre or medicentre, then LPN might be the way to go.

The reason I say that is an RN (from what my in-laws tell me - one is an LPN and the other RN) typically finds it easier to transfer units (ER, ICU, Ob/Gyn, etc) because of their more extensive training. LPNs have less initial training and as such need more training to transfer units and gain more responsibilities. As such, RNs usually manage LPNs, not the other way around.

I think income-wise it all depends on where you work and how willing you are to do overtime.

Doctor's offices avoid OT like the plague (usually because they are fee-for service) but pay a little better bottom line than public health services (initially anyways), while hospitals are often short-staffed (for a wide variety of reasons) and offer more OT, so if you want to make lots via OT, it's more likely that you can.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 am

ShepherdsDog wrote:
why not just get a 4 yr BN degree

2 years=LPN

4 years=RN

Anyway I was hoping to work in a hospital environment so I guess what I'll do is wait and go for the RN degree. I guess I'll be 33 by the time I start but at least I won't be 40. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 am

If you can do the 4 years right away, go for it. A lot harder to continue studying once you start to work and that 2 extras years might turn into 4 or more.