Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:49 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:
What I consider good music stretches across all types of music. One day I'll listen to classical, next day some classic rock, next some electronica, then country, the nhip hop, then a mix of multiple. That's what I'm getting at, I rarely see mocking of musical taste in that community, because they All appreciate the valid jobs of music. They may not enjoy a specific one, but they recognize the talent and dedication to make it, and recognize the appeal. They aren't music snobs. Like the rest of you old farts apparently are

When I was your age, I wanted to broaden my horizons too. I tried to enjoy a wider variety of music. But, frankly, classical music is boring, rap music is juvenile, reggae and blues mostly all sound the same and techo dance music just sucks ass. I have fairly eclectic tastes, but at the same time, I'm perfectly comfortable in rejecting things that just plain bore me. If you have to try to like it, you shouldn't.

So you like one type of music, which is fine. I disagree with almost all of what you said (except blues, never really got behind that) but that's what I'm trying to figure out. So in the same instance that you don't have diverse taste, does high end audio equipment mean anything to you?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tongue-in-cheek, Bodah...except for the bit about that "Bromance" tune. :wink:

You loved it, just accept it. I know the problem, a bit too soft for your liking.

:twisted: :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:14 am

Audiophilia = A word peeps use to make themselves feel special while listening to music.

Happy Munday. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 am

Tricks Tricks:
So you like one type of music, which is fine. I disagree with almost all of what you said (except blues, never really got behind that) but that's what I'm trying to figure out. So in the same instance that you don't have diverse taste, does high end audio equipment mean anything to you?

I'd say I do have pretty diverse tastes. Hell, you can't be a Rush fan without having diverse taste. I have a Yamaha amplifier and PSB speakers, not ultra-high end, but relatively good equipment. Good equipment is, of course, essential to a good listening experience. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that a $5,000 amplifier is $4,000 better than a $1,000 one. I also believe that the best way to enjoy music is by going to live performances. I'd rather spend that $4,000 difference on concert tickets than on "better" stereo equipment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 am

Tricks Tricks:
I tend to think of myself as an audiophile. I've got high end headphones, speakers, sound card on the way, high bitrate music etc etc.

I've noticed among the audiophile community that they often have a very diverse musical taste. They'll listen to virtually anything, as will I. So I'm curious to see if it lines up here. Thoughts?

I don't think of myself as an audiophile, but I do like a wide variety of music - I can find a song or two in just about every genre that I like (even C&W). The CD currently in my car has top 40, rap, metal, techno, classical, foreign, oldies (Elvis from the 50s), punk and rock. The hard drive on my laptop has all of that as well as C&W, jazz, blues, ballads, Canadiana, etc.

But I don't care enough about music to invest in high-end equipment. Personally, it's something to help with a long drive or background while I writing.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 am

Tricks Tricks:
No idea. Doesn't ring any bells.

OK, thanks. It's one of those things like trying to remember the name of an actor. You think and think, and eventually it may come to you. I'll get it yet.

I don't think you have to have high-end equipment to be an audiophile. Mid-range decent equipment will do. There's only so much your hearing can discriminate.

A good equalizer, a good set of earphones, a quiet relaxing room, and you're good to go, I think.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
I could use some help finding a song. I'll be damned if I can remember much except that I liked it, but somewhere along the way I lost it. It's kind of techno-rock, European I think, at least 10 yrs old maybe a little more, the video if I recall correctly had people wearing deer antlers in it. Not much to go on but ring any bells?

Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin Down

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
A good equalizer, a good set of earphones, a quiet relaxing room, and you're good to go, I think.

Not sure why you need quiet if you've got earphones. Audiophiles hate equalizers; they want the sound coming out exactly like it was tweaked in the recording studio. And you forgot the bong on your list of essential listening equipment.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:

Not sure why you need quiet if you've got earphones. Audiophiles hate equalizers; they want the sound coming out exactly like it was tweaked in the recording studio. And you forgot the bong on your list of essential listening equipment.

Quiet just in the sense of total relaxation. No kids running around etc. :D

The Doors, Iron Butterfly (In-a-gadda-da-vida), bong is almost mandatory. And brownies. You can eat 'em without the crunch interfering. :P

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 am

raydan raydan:
Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin Down

Thanks, Ray, that's not the one. Still rackin' my brain.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:

A high end amplifier has a power button and a volume control, that's it... no equalizer.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:47 pm

I like an equalizer for pushing the bass. I do most of my listening with speakers, and that's just my preference.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
I like an equalizer for pushing the bass. I do most of my listening with speakers, and that's just my preference.

I spent too much time with my ex-BIL back in the day... $75,000 speakers + amplifier + pre-amp, there were 2 amps and 2 pre-amps, either to power each speaker or low/high end sounds, not sure... a CD player where you had to manually open a door on the top, remove a weight, place your CD and then put the weight back on and then close the door...

...you NEVER pushed the bass. 8O

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Like I said, my preference. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm not knocking it Jonny, to each his own... even if you're wrong. :lol: