canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm

just watched a program about two groups of physicists arguing about whether string theory or super gravity was the true way...ten dimensions vs. eleven then someone figured they were both incorrect and they started postulating about M theory.....scientific truth......pfffffft yeah right. It's as prone to fads as anything. I have a headache now as their words frightened and confused me

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:03 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
just watched a program about two groups of physicists arguing about whether string theory or super gravity was the true way...ten dimensions vs. eleven then someone figured they were both incorrect and they started postulating about M theory.....scientific truth......pfffffft yeah right. It's as prone to fads as anything. I have a headache now as their words frightened and confused me

To top it off, you can't definitively say a glass knocked over will fall to the floor, only that it is statistcally likely to do so.

String theory was deveoped as, more or less, a mathematical shortcut. If you introduced a few new dimensions, it made the math easier to combine relatvity and quantum phsyics. UNfortunbately, it has never really had a single experimental observation to support it, so it reamins, as far as I'm concerend, a rgeat little mathematical turnabout, not necessarily descriptive of the universe.