bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 am

Quote:
Virtual gems for ponies, doughnuts and smurfberries can be more expensive than real-life if they're left in the hands of an eight-year-old.

The world might have learned this lesson in 2011 when eight-year-old Madison, from Rockville, Maryland, decided Smurfberries would make a nice addition to her mushroom house in the iPad game Smurfs' Village, racking up a $1,400 bill, according to the Washington Post. Unfortunately, we did not learn.

Perhaps the message sank in once a five-year-old British boy ran up a $2,500 bill in early March while buying weapons and add-ons for his Zombies vs. Ninjas game, according to the Globe and Mail? Not so.

Because just yesterday, ITV reported that a six-year-old girl in Cheshire, England, spent nearly $1,400 on gems for her iTunes game My Little Pony. Then her mother turned into the grumpy pony.

And today, SWNS.com and the Daily Mail report that eight-year-old Theo Rowland-Fry of Bristol, England spent about $1,500 on virtual doughnuts for his Simpsons' game, Tapped Out. His parents didn't notice the charges until the money was missing from their bank account. Apple refunded the charge, as well as the My Little Pony bill.

Still, Apple has parental controls that can restrict kids' access to buying apps on the iTunes store and buying upgrades within an app. Only so many bill shocks can go viral before the problem elicits more eye-rolls than jaw-drops.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-bu ... 18697.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Seriously? You give the little ankle biter access to your credit card, then act surprised when they don't know the concequences of using it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Parents are stupid. :(

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't own a smartphone, or any Apple product, so, can anybody tell me why the Appstore can process purchases automatically like this? Steam, for example, doesn't save all the information to make a purchase immediately like these smartphone appstores.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 pm

We manage it through gift cards.. The kids get a gift card, there's a sum in there, and that's all they can spend.

But the vendors should be doing more. When I was a kid, if I went to teh store and bought $1500 worth of cadbury's and paid for it, a call to parents, police or some authority would ensue. If you have somebody buying $1000 worth of Little Pony you gotta know something is up. These kid's games should put a lid on it--no more than $20 or something.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

commanderkai wrote:
I don't own a smartphone, or any Apple product, so, can anybody tell me why the Appstore can process purchases automatically like this? Steam, for example, doesn't save all the information to make a purchase immediately like these smartphone appstores.

Well I don't know what version of steam your using but mine does save the info. It's stored locally though so if I make a purchase on anything other then the last device used I have to put in all the info again.

Still in terms of this story it's nice to know that consumerism has reached such a point of stupidity we are willing to spend real world money on virtual nothingness.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

CanadianJeff wrote:
commanderkai wrote:

Well I don't know what version of steam your using but mine does save the info. It's stored locally though so if I make a purchase on anything other then the last device used I have to put in all the info again.

Still in terms of this story it's nice to know that consumerism has reached such a point of stupidity we are willing to spend real world money on virtual nothingness.

That's how they make their money. I think all the Facebook games (Zinga) work the same way. They make it difficult to advance fast enough in a game unless you get your credit card out.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:27 pm

CanadianJeff wrote:

You're right. I generally log into Steam back and forth between my desktop and laptop, and back and forth between the US and Canada, so I have to retype the information constantly. My bad :oops:

Still, at the same time, these situations seem to be rather common, and Steam linked F2P games like Star Trek Online doesn't always offer virtual currency for real money on the Steam store.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:32 pm

commanderkai wrote:

I don't know how iTunes works, but I know many Facebook games store your Paypal info so you can order 'upgrades' fairly seamlessly...I would guess iTunes does something similar.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 pm

bootlegga wrote:
I don't know how iTunes works, but I know many Facebook games store your Paypal info so you can order 'upgrades' fairly seamlessly...I would guess iTunes does something similar.

I didn't know that about Facebook games, but I never spent a single cent in those games. I can see why parents get surprised by such charges, since, I believe, the iTunes store applies to everything, from games, to songs, to movies, right? So, if you make a purchase of an album, your kid can use your iPad to then purchase hundreds of dollars worth of "currency" in F2P games?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm

CanadianJeff wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

You can usually password protect things. That would be the safe responsible thing to do, if you're like me though, you have so many passwords you get confused and have to reset it everytime. That leads to me telling my personal devices to remember all the pws, which could easily lead to this kind of thing happening to me as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm

That game is awesome. Also Homer makes a joke about it as the game opens. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Quote:

My thought on eBooks.

Bought a novel at Costco for $5.95 and after I read it, I traded a friend for one I hadn't read. Read that and checked out some eBooks on the iPad. That Jack Reacher novel was $15.99....
Pay three times as much for the convenience of not needing a bookshelf?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

herbie wrote:
Pay three times as much for the convenience of not needing a bookshelf?

Also the convienience of not having to run to 3 different stores to find book 4 of that 20 year-old series you're re-reading. I love book shopping from my bed :)