Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Checkstop locations keep getting tweeted, much to chagrin of Edmonton police

Quote:
EDMONTON - A little birdie told me to avoid a certain freeway on Dec. 21.

Unlike Calgary, Edmonton doesn’t have a Twitter feed dedicated to alerting users to checkstop locations, but the unofficial practice continues to be a concern for city police and the general public.

Edmonton Police Service spokesman Scott Pattison said Thursday the practice is “obviously … frowned upon by police, because we’re trying to keep everybody safe out there. The whole goal of the (checkstop) program is to make sure everyone gets home safely. By posting locations of checkstops, you’re circumventing that whole process.”

Giving drunk drivers a heads-up adds insult to injury, given that their numbers in Edmonton continue to be problematic.

“The number of impaired driving complaints and catches tonight is absolutely disgusting,” Const. Brendan Power tweeted on Dec. 24.

Drivers witnessing erratic behaviour on the roads are encouraged to report to police by calling 911 as part of the Curb the Danger program. Last year, the program received 7,852 calls from the public, resulting in 794 arrests; so far in 2013, the program has resulted in 716 arrests.

Users tweeting out locations are indignant regarding their right to do so:

“I pledge to ALWAYS tweet checkstop locations in #YEG,” tweeted user @BelowWing.

Numbers of impaired drivers over the Christmas week have not yet been released by Edmonton police.

But for all of 2012, there were 78 people killed and 1,268 injured in Alberta by impaired drivers. In Edmonton, police made 2,145 arrests for impaired driving in 2012, including 73 arrests as a result of December checkstop operations.

Historically, December is the month which accounts for the most suspensions and vehicle seizures.

Last year in December, there were 806 driver’s licence suspensions and 671 vehicle seizures in Alberta. This was up from 659 licence suspensions in December 2011.

Approximately 7,700 people are convicted of impaired driving in Alberta each year. One in five drivers involved in a fatal collision in Alberta had been drinking, according to statistics from the RCMP. This is much higher than the national average of one in 20 drivers having consumed a drink prior to being involved in a fatal collision.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Che ... story.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 pm

I wonder too if they are going to take responsibility for alcohol related deaths?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Law enforcement is far more offended at the idea of citizens covertly observing them and reporting on them then they are at the idea of a few drunks avoiding a dragnet.

In California it's much the opposite. The Highway Patrol and local law enforcement go on TV and announce their checkpoints and 'maximum enforcement' periods in order to deter people from driving drunk. Sounds to me like drunk drivers are probably a source of revenue up your way, thus the upset with the tweets.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Law enforcement is far more offended at the idea of citizens covertly observing them and reporting on them then they are at the idea of a few drunks avoiding a dragnet.

In California it's much the opposite. The Highway Patrol and local law enforcement go on TV and announce their checkpoints and 'maximum enforcement' periods in order to deter people from driving drunk. Sounds to me like drunk drivers are probably a source of revenue up your way, thus the upset with the tweets.

They did that in Japan too. I thought it made them pointless, as people just detoured around them (except us silly foreigners who couldn't read enough Japanese to know about them).

As for revenue, it's radar traps up here that are the big sources of income - I once saw a study that Edmonton wrote more tickets than most cities in North America per capita (and were only surpassed by much larger cities like LA and NYC in total numbers).

I used to think it was stupid, but after driving on these roads for close to 20 years, I think they should be writing even more than they do, not less.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:25 pm

bootlegga wrote:
I used to think it was stupid, but after driving on these roads for close to 20 years, I think they should be writing even more than they do, not less.

I agree, sort of. I think they need to be doing more about things besides speeding and drunk driving. Those things are important of course, but things like not signaling, slowing for no reason, driving on the left unnecessarily all seem to cause more problems, in my experience. (almost 10 years of professional truck driving and motorcycling, would be my experience.)

It's not just that those kind of things in and of themselves cause issues, I've also found that people who stuff like that, especially the not signalling, do it because they're not paying sufficient attention to what's going on around them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Unsound wrote:
It's not just that those kind of things in and of themselves cause issues, I've also found that people who stuff like that, especially the not signalling, do it because they're not paying sufficient attention to what's going on around them.

Amen.

Myself, I'd like to see cellphone use while driving raised to the same set of legal consequences as DUI given that the victims of these assclowns are just as dead as the victims of the drunks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:22 am

I never 'flash' my headlights to warn of speed traps.

My reasoning is two fold; the Police work on quotas and the sooner they get there, then I will be able to speed to my joy. The 2nd is 'reckless' speeders need to be bitch slapped. I speed but not in 50 zones. I will go 65 in a 60 and 85-90 in an 80 (depending on the situation) but I do go 120 in a 100.

As for the snitching on the 'ride spots', that's not good...............

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:48 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Unsound wrote:

Amen.

Myself, I'd like to see cellphone use while driving raised to the same set of legal consequences as DUI given that the victims of these assclowns are just as dead as the victims of the drunks.

I'm inclined to agree. To roughly paraphrase a MythBusters episode, "At least the drunk is usually making an effort to look at the road."

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:23 am

What get s me is the drivers oblivious to speed zones. Driving long distances on Hwy97 and Hwy16 the buggers hold you up going 90 in a 100 zone, slowing to 80 on every curve and hill and then when you finally pass come ripping up your arse to tailgate because you slowed to 70 or 50 becaue that's what's posted going though some little town.
Except of course in Vanderhoof where it's illegal to own a vehicle that can exceed 20kmh.

I always flash lights to other drivers. They never put radars for safety, they only put them where they generae the most revenue - like the only place you can pass in 50 kms, where you have to break the limit because there's nine chip trucks bumper to bumper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:47 am

Centre wrote:

My reasoning is two fold; the Police work on quotas and the sooner they get there, then I will be able to speed to my joy.

Incorrect. The various police services have removed ticket quotas. Officers are free to write as many tickets as they like now. :wink:

All joking aside, I think tweeters of checkstop locations should be charged with aiding and abetting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:11 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
Centre wrote:

My reasoning is two fold; the Police work on quotas and the sooner they get there, then I will be able to speed to my joy.

Incorrect. The various police services have removed ticket quotas. Officers are free to write as many tickets as they like now. :wink:

All joking aside, I think tweeters of checkstop locations should be charged with aiding and abetting.

Yes I too heard they removed the 'quota' system.. ROTFL

I remember as a young'un, always driving very slow, but not realizing it, when under the influence of pot.

I have a sort of funny story about that actually from when I was visiting VI many years ago.

I was driving a car load of us from possibly from Parksville to Nanaimo during a sunny afternoon when I was directed to pull off the road and, what I thought anyways, was to go around the building.

I actually thought that maybe there was an accident ahead or some sort of road blockage.

Being from a small town I had never heard of a 'spot check' and I had never been through one so I had no idea what was going on, and being extremely high, drove right through the spot check and carried on.

Some of the people in the car got excited and said I should have stopped but I didn't get what they meant. I looked in the mirror and can still picture the Cops looking around at each other tying to figure out what just happened.

What was really bizarre is they didn't give chase and I'll never know why.

But I will say I find it just as amazing that 40 years later I recall this event like it was yesterday..........

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:26 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
I wonder too if they are going to take responsibility for alcohol related deaths?

They will have to when they're sued in civil court .

Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:24 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:

Tweeting locations is neither aiding nor abetting in any crime, so that'd never fly in court. Closer to accessory after the fact, but that's still way too big a leap to even try to prosecute.

BRAH wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Tweeting cops' locations is also not the cause of any civil damages, so that'd never fly in court either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:30 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Unsound wrote:

Amen.

Yes.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:13 pm

DrRosen wrote:
PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:

Tweeting locations is neither aiding nor abetting in any crime, so that'd never fly in court. Closer to accessory after the fact, but that's still way too big a leap to even try to prosecute.

BRAH wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Tweeting cops' locations is also not the cause of any civil damages, so that'd never fly in court either.

If a drunk driver avoids a checkstop person A posted on Twitter and that drunk driver ended up killing person B, person A could possibly face a civil lawsuit by person B's family. Could Twitter be held liable, who knows. As of today the police can not charge for posting checkstop locations, maybe it will take the death of an innocent victim to change things. Anyone who posts a checkstop location is guilty as the drunk driver police are trying to stop.