canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 pm

Edmonton Twitchy-Eyed, Machete-Wielding Savages Fight Back With #MacheteSomethingYEG

Quote:
Edmonton "twitchy-eyed-savages" took what was a massive sarcasm fail in the part of a National Post opinion writer with grace and uncanny humour.

Although Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel was left seething and the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce's CEO incensed, after National Post opinion writer Chris Selley said that had the southern Alberta floods happened in Edmonton, residents in the city "would be a smoking hole in the ground at this point, infested with twitchy-eyed, machete-wielding savages," Edmonton took the hilarious high road.

Under the hash tag #MacheteSomethingYEG, Edmontonians defended the proud Alberta capital by pointing out that machetes are an effective lawn-cutting implement, essential during mosquito season and even prompted some to suggest that, just as Calgary has adopted the white stetson as the its symbol, its time for Edmonton to embrace the machete as its object of civic pride.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/28 ... 19722.html

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 pm

It's all good. I made the comment earlier in the week that if the Calgary flood had happened in the northeast part of our fair city instead of mostly in the inner core, the animals that live up there would be eating each other within a couple of days. Got a few laughs from some but a couple also gave me the stinkeye too. Either way my ego was satisfied at the attention I got. :mrgreen:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 pm

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... rained-out

Quote:
The Calgary Herald‘s editorialists could not be more proud of how those affected by terrible flooding over the weekend in Calgary and other communities conducted themselves. “It all adds up to one giant, collective effort, a well-oiled machine that slipped seamlessly into action with no hitches,” they write. “There was no major crime, there was no rioting. That sort of thing has happened elsewhere because disasters can bring out the worst in people. But that’s not southern Alberta’s way and never has been.” Edmonton, for example, would be a smoking hole in the ground at this point, infested with twitchy-eyed, machete-wielding savages.

Seeing the context, I thought it was an amusing joke. Edmonton's mayor actually took that seriously?