canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Former head of spy agency calls Canadians ‘stupid’ for posting information online

$1:
Guess what, Canada: We are "stupid" people who post way too much personal information online.

This according to the former head of Canada’s response to the National Security Agency, who seems to believe the problem with online privacy is that Canadians expect it in the first place.

It's one of the biggest questions of our generation. How much information do we share online, and how much protection do we expect from prying eyes?

Can we post photos, phobias and phone numbers on social media without having them come back to bite us in the backside? Or are we begging for online snoops, including those employed by the Canadian government, to snatch up our intel and wantonly put it to use?

According to John Adams, the former head of Communications Security Establishment Canada, we're all dummies when we log on.

One half is stupid, and the other half is stupid,” Adams said, according to the Globe and Mail. “I can confirm that. We put more online, [on] Facebook, than any other country in the world.

— John Adams, former head of the CSEC

The comments came during a Senate meeting on Wednesday discussing a bill to create an oversight committee for all of Canada's security and intelligence agencies.

Canadian intelligence agencies have been under fire for their online tactics recently. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service was accused of snooping on pipeline opponents, and Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) is working on a system that monitors people who use airport Wi-Fi hotspots.

The oversight bill, supported by Adams, would provide more insight and perhaps better understanding about what government agencies are doing. Though he seems to believe the problem is that Canadians post things online in the first place, and not that government agencies gobble that information up like a pack of hungry, hungry hippos.

Adams later called us "not very smart," so at least there's breadth to his analysis.

Interim privacy commissioner Chantal Bernier had a differing view on the subject, calling Canadians "trusting" and appreciative of the democracy dedicated to protecting their privacy.

Adams' point, that Canadians are stupid because we post things online and specifically on Facebook, is somewhat specious.

Yes, Canada was found to be the most active Facebook users in August of 2013, with 19 million users logging on at least once per month and 14 million checking their feeds daily.

But that's probably less about us wantonly flinging our personal information into the hands of anyone who asks, and more about Canada being the most connected country in the world.

The Globe and Mail reported in 2012 that Canadians spend an average of 45.3 hours a month browsing the Internet – that's more than any other country.

The United States was second with 38.6 hours per person, meaning Canadians spent an entire eight-hour work day longer every month just surfing the Internet.

Canadians swim in online waters more than any other country. Saying we are "stupid" for sharing more information online is like saying Australians are stupid because they are more often attacked by sharks in the Indian Ocean.

Do Canadians share too much information online? Sure, everyone does. And nowadays the trust, faith and anonymity that once existed online are fading, if not gone already.

But does that make us stupid? Only if we post that personal information expecting it to be stolen by our government or used in nefarious ways. At best, Canadians are naive about posting their information online.

Stupid is a government proxy assuming that abusing the trust of Canadian citizens is fair game because they were careless enough to go online in the first place.
That's also more than a little insulting.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybr ... 22378.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:07 pm

I get what he's saying. Simply, don't complain about online privacy when you're freely posting your business for the world to see.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Stupid for putting up with a government that refuses to divulge anything it is up to, while being intensely interested in everything we are up to. How much of my tax paying dollars are going to resources to spy on me?

I used to say "Heave Steve" but now I'm going with "CSES Unsubscribe"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:21 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Stupid for putting up with a government that refuses to divulge anything it is up to, while being intensely interested in everything we are up to. How much of my tax paying dollars are going to resources to spy on me?

But is it really spying when you freely post whatever information on the net?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:43 am

If someone will need my info, I can invite agent to my home, make him tea and put in front of my PC. I can answer for any link I've clicked.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:15 am

The guy is a first class wank. Canadian's aren't stupid like he claims, we're just niave when it comes to trusting assholes like him when they say they aren't doing anything with or even collecting our personal information. :roll:

Well that, and the fact that unlike Americans most of us don't have anything to hide. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:57 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
The guy is a first class wank. Canadian's aren't stupid like he claims, we're just niave when it comes to trusting assholes like him when they say they aren't doing anything with or even collecting our personal information. :roll:

Well that, and the fact that unlike Americans most of us don't have anything to hide. :P

He is a wanker but he was also right. Most Canadians are absolutely stupid when it comes to securing personal information. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:21 am

John Adams and CSEC work for us and they should be looking out for the interests of all of the people of Canada. If Canadians in their naiveté tend to reveal too much about themselves, that is not an invitation for people like John Adams to turn this place into a police state.

Facebook and Twitter certainly are bad news, though.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:49 am

Most of us are probably pretty lax about making sure we shred any documents with personal info that go in the trash, doesn't mean the government or anyone else should get a free hand to go through my garbage.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:58 am

After almost 20 years in the computer/Internet business I would disagree with him.
When it comes to that, 10% of Canadians are quite knowledgeable, 10% have a clue and only 30% are stupid. The other 50% are bone stupid, dumber than a sack of hammers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:04 am

herbie herbie:
After almost 20 years in the computer/Internet business I would disagree with him.
When it comes to that, 10% of Canadians are quite knowledgeable, 10% have a clue and only 30% are stupid. The other 50% are bone stupid, dumber than a sack of hammers.

I think your first two percentages are too high. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:17 am

herbie herbie:

Hunh?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:37 pm

I do like how an article from an unbiased site like Yahoo would diss the fact that Canadians post too much personal info on the internets............