CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:37 am

Ok I watched fox news at 10 last night just to find out what all the bruhaha was abt and I have to say I was disappointed. I sat there with baited breath waiting for them to say something completely republican so I could pounce and say “aha!....fox news does brainwash people into a right wing bias”…alas, I got nothing. It was just news. I watched abc news at 11 and yeah it was just news too. I did notice however that the reporters on abc were much more attractive and seemed like they were having more fun . I mean they smiled a lot, like real smiles y’all not the fake I’m on tv kinda smile, it was kind of amazing.… The reporters on fox news however did a lot of smirking ?!...almost like they knew something...or wished they knew something (Do I have something here or am I just fishing?). Anyway, after my two-hour research my mind was made up. Actually, I never changed it as I got nothing and hence I am back where I started. I’m sticking with the happy attractive people, not because I got anything bad on fox really. Just...something makes me wanna not like them. However, I will be doing some more research on the issue. I wanna not like them as much as other liberals do, I really do (and no, I’m not being sarcastic). So if anyone has any ideas what I did wrong or what I need to be doing to get these people to show their horns, please let me know. Your help is much apprectiated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:05 am

The bias doesn't tend to slip into the "news at 11" unless it's about something political ;) Unfortunately, there is much more these days to the "news" than just "news". Generally the mass insanity happens on news "specials" like hardball, crossfire, and whenever they have guests and shout at each other. The news, thankfully, is still reserved for what happened today (be it that it's only "what happened as pertains to the US"), but a lot of people still need their infotainment.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 am

I've watched it at various times and found it to be just like regular news depending on when you're watching it.As for bias,it depends on the news topic being discussed,and the personalities covering them,(Hannity,O'Really,Geraldo,etc.).I've seen Fox segments that were just like the other news networks,and other times when they seem to be catering to right-wing Christian knuckle-draggers.
Actually that reminds me of something that happened many months ago one day when I was at the gym.I was on the treadmill warming up and I was watching CNN headline news on one of three of the the TV's placed in front of the row of treadmills.Fox was on the other two tv's.This rather portly couple with Jesus stuff written on their t-shirts comes over to the tv's and checks out what's on.Even though the Tv's are spaced about 6 inches apart,the guy switched the channel to Fox without bothering to ask if anybody was watching what was already on-I guess he figured that Fox needed to be on all three.Most folks have the common courtesy to ask someone if they're watching what's already on before switching channels,but I actually got a chuckle out of the whole thing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:25 am

Spike is right. You have to watch the opinion shows and "debate" shows to see the bias in action.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:35 pm

Thanks guys. I'm gonna see if I can catch some of the debate shows. This was really bugging me btw. Would've looked pretty stupid if someone asked why I dislike fox and I said "Dunno, aren't I supposed to?" :wink:
I'll be posting more on my research later...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:37 pm

No it's good :D No one should formulate an opinion based on other opinions alone ^^ Please post what you find, I can only catch it when I'm at home (which is less and less often) and I don't have TV now :/

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Will do :). Hehe, I feel like a kid on a mission...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 pm

I've never seen the TV channel, but some of those opinion pieces are available on the Fox News site.

Greta Van Susteren is on Fox, so it can't be all bad! :)

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:30 pm

if you had watched Fox news during the US election or the war in Iraq, you would be amazed by the difference.

I recomend you buy/rent/download a documentary called "OutFoxed"
it is very good... and scary

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:36 pm

I took a look at the website. I noticed it says Fair & Balanced on top and I almost wanna say "hah" with an eyeroll...but I can't (yet) :oops:

8O I'm gonna stop wanting to hate fox so much and step away from the computer now...

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:38 pm

http://www.outfoxed.org

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:52 pm

Canadaka: Thanks, I checked out the trailer. My curiosity is semi-piqued. I'll check out the documentary later. Should be entertaining to say the least.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:52 pm

The way Fox News does a bias isn't right in your face. Like, they will do things with body language which are usually against democrats, and pro republican, like making republicans out to be the victims of democrat slander. Also, take for example the investigation on Tom Delay I believe is the name. On CBS they had a story about it, telling how he used money illegally from companies, such as for funding research and help to win the election -- which is illegal in Texas. You can only use corporate money to pay for employees or things like paper and whatever, not research and advertising, at least to my knowledge. On Fox, they make it out like Tom Delay is an innocent victim of democrat/liberal slander, and ignore him doing anything illegal, and will usually defend against that by saying "the democrats have done this stuff before, yet no one says anything about them," or at least they will have people on who say those types of things, and the newscasters will usually be more critical of the people who are for an investigation of Delay than those who are against it. Other things you have to take notice of are the seeming support of republican ideas as opposed to democrat/liberal ideas. When you have 2-3 guest republicans, VS 1 or so democrats(which they sometimes have)and you go off on not the democrat ideas, but democrats in general, and claim that America is for your idea, you are basically making it look like one idea is popular, and the other is not, which, even if still giving both sides, is not an objective look at things. I still remember the elections when Fox News seemed to want to prove the swiftboat veterans true(which there was no proof behind except what they said)and then wanted to prove Bush's military records scandel as being false. You could just tell so much that they were having a bias in terms of that(not to mention how many times Fox News played the Swift Boat videos, and the fact that the group was funded by republicans). I think the other funny thing is when all the republicans were wearing purple bandaids making fun of john kerry's vietnam record when Bush didn't even serve! Talk about ridiculous. They are making fun of a war Veteran when their candidate obviously skipped out on service and people have even said he got special treatment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:54 pm

My advice dknychic, is to find a range of news sources and draw your own conclusions about which one best represents your own views. Then, find one that is the opposite of those views. For example, after going to Fox news, try checking out Al-Jazeera. Or try an international variety of sources. I know you can get BBC news on PBS in the states, so check that out if you can. Then, there's always the CBC or the Guardian in England.

CBC
Guardian
Al-jazeera
BBC

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:59 pm

What about http://www.reuters.com/, they seem pretty alright.