Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Chicago Girl Who Performed at Obama’s Inauguration Killed in Shooting

Quote:
Gun violence in Chicago has claimed another teenager who only last week marched with her school band in Washington at President Obama’s inauguration, continuing an escalating trend of deadly shootings on the city’s South Side.

Hadiya Pendleton, 15, an honor student at Chicago’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. College Preparatory High School and a majorette in the marching band, was killed midday Tuesday while hanging out with friends after exams in a nearby park, the Chicago Tribune reported. As she was standing under a shelter to get out of the rain, an unidentified male jumped a fence and ran toward her group, firing at them. Pendleton was struck in the back, while another boy was hit in the leg. The shooter then jumped into a car and sped off.

The two teens were taken to a nearby hospital where Pendleton was pronounced dead. The injured boy was in serious condition. Police say the girl was likely an unintended target of the shooting and was not involved with gangs, but some of the teens in her group may have had gang affiliations.

Some of the youths scattered after the shooting, but others stayed behind. Those that did are reportedly not cooperating with police, leaving officials with no description of the attacker or the car he left in. No arrests have been made so far.

King College Prep is one of Chicago’s top magnet schools and its band has performed at several inaugural events. It is located in the city’s Kenwood neighborhood, which normally does not see much violent crime, according to police data. It is about a mile from President Obama’s home in Hyde Park.

Pendleton’s godfather, Chicago police officer Damon Stewart said that the teen was making big plans for her future at the time of her death. “She was working on some sort of exchange program, where she was going to go to school in Paris,” Stewart said. “She was a great student.”

The killing was shocking enough to warrant a mention at Wednesday’s Congressional hearings on gun violence. Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin brought Pendleton’s murder to the attention of a stunned audience during testimony. “Just a matter of days after the happiest day of her life, she’s gone,” Durbin said. “We have guns everywhere and some believe the solution to this is more guns. I disagree.”

So far in 2012, Chicago has seen 42 homicides. In 2012, 506 people were killed in the city. Only 25% of those murders were solved.

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/30/chica ... -shooting/

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:02 pm

"Only 25% of those murders were solved." That is a legitimate horror.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Psudo wrote:

Jeez. I watch a show called "The First 48" that follows murder investigations, so I guess my Solved-to-Unsolved ratio was skewed, but a 25% solved rate seems awfully low.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 pm

It's getting to the point that You really don't care about shootings in the states.....seeing as they don't want to do anything about firearm restrictions themselves

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Psudo wrote:

The truth is that most of the murders in the 75% were gang-related and the cops really don't give a sh*t when some gang banger gets offed.

Also, it is of note that Chicago currently has the most restrictive sum (state, county, and city combined) gun laws in the entire USA including Washington DC.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:
It's getting to the point that You really don't care about shootings in the states.....seeing as they don't want to do anything about firearm restrictions themselves

To the contrary. Arizona recently revoked their carry permit laws and made it legal for any law-abiding person over 21 to carry concealed without a permit. That makes them the second state after Vermont to have such a law.

I'd say that qualifies as doing something about firearms restrictions. :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Psudo wrote:

The truth is that most of the murders in the 75% were gang-related and the cops really don't give a sh*t when some gang banger gets offed.

Also, it is of note that Chicago currently has the most restrictive sum (state, county, and city combined) gun laws in the entire USA including Washington DC.

I agree. In the end, a majority of murders in the United States relate to criminals killing other criminals, and frankly, very few of us give a flying fuck. I wish I knew some proper statistics about legal vs. illegal firearm usage in murders.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

commanderkai wrote:
I agree. In the end, a majority of murders in the United States relate to criminals killing other criminals, and frankly, very few of us give a flying fuck. I wish I knew some proper statistics about legal vs. illegal firearm usage in murders.

It's hard to get any meaningful statistics on that topic anymore because everything is so politicized.

In California, for instance, the 'children' who are counted in stats about death by gunfire include 'children' who are as old as twenty-six.

As far as what even the pro-gun control folks say most crimes are committed with stolen firearms.

Very few are committed by the person who legally obtained them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm

It said in the story that that police believed this girl was not involved with gangs though.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
It said in the story that that police believed this girl was not involved with gangs though.

" but some of the teens in her group may have had gang affiliations."

But the second part of the sentence potentially shows what might have been the reason for the shooting.

Unfortunately she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:08 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:

I hope I never get that cold. :(

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm

commanderkai wrote:
I watch a show called "The First 48" that follows murder investigations, so I guess my Solved-to-Unsolved ratio was skewed, but a 25% solved rate seems awfully low.
I like that show.

It is awfully low, and the national average is much, much higher. That figure only covers Chicago in 2012 (and, possibly, modern Chicago in general). I'm deeply shocked that any place in the USA has that low of a solved murder rate.

I don't much care that the victims were "probably just gangbangers." NOBODY should get away with murder.

Last edited by Psudo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Zipperfish wrote:

Just talking about the overall issue, and the extremely pathetic solved murder rate in Chicago.

No doubt, with the publicity of this case, the police will put a lot of effort into solving this case. Until they do, there's really nothing that we can talk about at the moment. She could have been a bystander, or with the wrong crowd, or maybe the shooter thought they were somebody else. Hell, for all we know, it's an ex-boyfriend. It's impossible to know without the case being solved.

Quote:
Some of the youths scattered after the shooting, but others stayed behind. Those that did are reportedly not cooperating with police, leaving officials with no description of the attacker or the car he left in. No arrests have been made so far.

This pisses me off the most, and is probably the biggest hurdle in solving these crimes. Your friend gets murdered, and yet...you don't tell the cops anything? If I saw my friend get murdered, I'd be telling the cops everything. Such a cultural disconnect here.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Good thing Chicago has strong gun control.

Or rather did, new state law will come into power shortly which makes basicly all of Chicago's gun laws illegal.

Quote:
Those that did are reportedly not cooperating with police, leaving officials with no description of the attacker or the car he left in. No arrests have been made so far.
Want to stop gun violence then do something to put an end to shit like this. Maybe a class in not being a fucktard or something.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Psudo wrote:
I don't much care that the victims were "probably just gangbangers." NOBODY should get away with murder.

Police bias impacts a lot of crimes and some criminals take advantage of it.

I recall a rapist from Wisconsin or Minnesota (that part of the USA at least) whose 'thing' was to kidnap college girls and then keep them. He even got a couple of them pregnant.

His thing was he'd kidnap them from their apartments, leave behind drugs, drug paraphrenalia, and then a few thousand dollars in cash that would be not-so-carefully hidden. The police would eventually show up to do a welfare check on the missing girl, find the drugs and cash, and then stop investigating right there.

This came to light when one girl finally escaped and when she got to the police the first thing they did was arrest her and put her in jail on the outstanding drug charges. :roll:

As I recall, two other girls were rescued but the sicko was never caught.