CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 am

I am sure everyone has surfed the channels or stood undecided in the video store at a loss for what to watch or see. Have you ever taken a chance on some obscure title or put the remote down on some unknown movie only to realise you came accross something unexpecteley good or entertaining. Am curious as to what you found. Some of mine are

The Light Horsemen - Austrailian Historical set during WW1

Last of the Dogmen - Tom Berenger and Barbara Hershey

Dog Soldiers - British - Kevin Mckidd

Mystery Alaska - Still laugh at the fwap fwap fwap mother walrus

Temple Grandin - Amazing BIO and great performance by Clare Danes

Rituals - 1977 Horror

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:27 am

A Midnight Clear

The Adventures of Baron Maunchausen

The Postman

The Roughriders

(Liked The Liight Horseman and
The Last Dog Soldier)

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 am

Funny you said the Postman. Panned by critics and another nail in Kevin Costner's coffin after waterworld. I just re watched the postman two nights ago and call me crasy but I like the movie.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:05 am

The Postman wasn't all that bad. A bit cheesy, especially the last scene, but no where near as horrible as it was alleged to be. Waterworld sucked, but The Postman was kind of good.

There was a Norwegian film called Headhunters on Superchannel not that long ago. It had Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister from GOT) in it. Kind of a weird crime/black comedy thing where a corporate recruiter who hires high-end executives is also moonlighting as an art theif. He robs Nicolaj, who turns out to be some kind of ex-special forces/mercenary/corporate security guy, and all sorts of blood-drenched hi-jinks begin to occur. Really violent but full of moments of dark humour, including a scene where the lead actor has to hide in the shit-pit of an outhouse to avoid getting killed by Nicholaj and his pet mastiff, and another one where Nicholaj uses a stolen big rig to smash a police car off of a five-hundred foot high cliff.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 am

Wolf1412 Wolf1412:
Funny you said the Postman. Panned by critics and another nail in Kevin Costner's coffin after waterworld. I just re watched the postman two nights ago and call me crasy but I like the movie.

Not crazy at all. I thought it was quite good and undeserving of all the criticism heaped upon it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:23 am

For a Paul W.S. Anderson film, which are normally quite wretched, Event Horizon was terrific, probably one of the great sci-fi films of the last twenty years, and probably also the best sci-fi/horror film ever made. Cthulhu/Satan + an experimental warp drive = win. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am

really?? I thought it was sort of meh

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 am

I'm on board with The Postman as well. I'm a fan of after the apocalypse stories, and that one has to be rated somewhere towards the top there.

I've heard of Dog Soldiers. Always wanted to see it, but I can never find it. Special forces versus Werewolves - what's not to like.

I was surfing the channels a few weeks ago, and stopped at the independent movie channel, but didn't expect to stay there long. Those films rarely grab me. I saw one that did though. I can't remember the name of it, but it rocks. It was filmed in Ontario. It concerns these people who play a LARP (live action role playing) game where they create a society of Vikings, and other medieval warriors at a farm outside their town. It gets too real, and things, of course, go wrong.

OK, wait, just looked it up, and found it.

The Wild Hunt

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:25 am

Saw Dog Soldiers...not a bad flick. Thought it'd be cool to have a movie made about a special forces unit comprised of werewolves.....or has that already been done?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 am

The Odd Angry Shot.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

I actually quite liked Waterworld. [huh]

I'll second Event Horizon and add:

Wasabi

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 am

"Greed" with Zasu Pitts from the silent era. It's not only a great movie but the exterior shots of 1920's San Francisco are amazing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am

If we're going way back, then I'd suggest Hold That Ghost! with Abbott and Costello. Seventy years later and it's still some of the side-splitting funniest stuff ever filmed. :mrgreen:

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Another just came to mind and IMDB is handy for finding obscuremovies

Steel Dawn - Patrick Swayze (1987) Post Apocolyptic

Blind Fury - Rutger Hauer - Cheesy but fun

Flesh & Blood - Rutger Hauer (1985)

Lady Hawk - Rutger again with a young Michelle Pfeiffer [drool] (1985)

Top Secret - Young Val Kilmer still giggle my ass of watching it (1984)

Kiss meets the Phantom of the Park - (1978) Like flossing with Razor wire but had to be seen

Streets of Fire (1984) Micheal Pare, Young hot Diane Lane and Willem Dafoe (Great Music)