CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:36 pm

Has anyone heard of these exploding toads in Germany that have been baffling scientists? Well read the story below, or the stories in one of the links to familiarize yourself with it.

STORY:
More than 1,000 exploding toads puzzle German scientists By The Associated Press (4/27/05 - BERLIN, Germany)More than 1,000 toads have puffed up and exploded in a Hamburg pond in recent weeks, and scientists still have no explanation for what's causing the combustion, an official said Wednesday. "It's absolutely strange," she said. "We have a really unique story here in Hamburg. This phenomenon really doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere before." Visitors to Hamburg parks are being warned to watch out for exploding toads. Several thousand toads in the city's parks have so far mysteriously spontaneously exploded, sending entrails and toad body parts over a wide area. Vets and animal welfare workers said the mystery has decimated the city's toad population as well as the unpleasant problem of leaving toad parts scattered around parks and open spaces. Eyewitnesses say the toads swell up to three and a half times their normal size before suddenly exploding - sending entrails flying metres into the air. Nature protection worker Werner Smolnik from Hamburg said over the last four days at least a thousand toads had died in this manner in scenes reminiscent of a science fiction film.

Related News stories:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=iol1114518789123E214

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15090179-13762,00.html

Now with that said, has anyone heard of the story about the bird in the coal mines? Well the story goes like this...... when coal miners work there are many gases and chemicals down there, which are potentially hazerdous to human health. A way in which the coal miners USED to test for extremes would be to let birds into the coal mine. The birds would start to feel the effects of the dangerous enviroment first, and die before it was strong enough to effect humans. Then the coal miners would know it is getting dangerous and leave the mine until the enviroment was safe to go back.

Now in the case of the exploding toads, 1) This is VERY rare. 2) This has never happened before. 3) Scientists are baffled, assuming the causes are enviromental.

So.....if they are found to be enviromental, what does this mean? Are humans going to start feeling SIMILAR effects someday? will we slowly implode from the inside because of the filthy air we (in some parts of the world) breathe in everyday? Already thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people die every year from polluted water and air, so is this connection that unlikely?

Its interesting to think about, if it has merit or not is up to our scientists to figure out. Do you think there is a possible connection?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:58 pm

That's so scary :'( the scariest part is that they're exploding at around 2am... what a strange time...

I'm keeping my opinion that it's an omen of the apocalypse, though.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Do you think that we can figure out what causes it and lace the poutine with it at the next Quebec sepratist convention?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:04 pm

we don't know if it's happened before...perhaps it has and its just not been documented....it is wierd no matter....

people spontaneously combust....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:16 pm

You're right it could just be some majorly bizarre frog version of spontaneous combustion. But why is it happening now and to so many of them?

I think it's a virus, cause of which as yet undetermined.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:18 pm

Spontanious Human Compustion is suposedly a myth but... eep...

I wonder if they would make a good offensive weapon...

And PENATRATOR, that's not nice :(

It's very possible that the pollution is causing this, because Frogs breath through their skin, so they'd be absorbing 100x the air for a body 100x smaller, they'd die 1000x faster. That's at least a little comforting, because it means we have time to work out the problem

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:19 pm

or, maybe it's that magnetic thing....you know how some people get sick when they reach a magnetic hotspot? or how some people can feel magnetic currents and predict earthquakes etc? (yeah i like all that sci-fi stuff)

maybe there is something in the ground at that spot that has for some reason been jolted to activity....there have been a lot of earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions lately.

obviously, i'm totally cluless....hope they figure it out.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:54 pm

Lunar flares.