bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Sunny again with barely a breeze. 28C right now which is almost as hot as I can really take.

I love the fog in the mornings the last few days. It is wonderfully cool before it burns off by 11am then it warms up fast.

Forecast is for some rain on Saturday but with highs of 26C.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 pm

27C and sunny. Went and did some berry picking today and I came back with two ice cream pail of blueberries and another of raspberries. The wife picked two pails of each...... I ate half of the raspberries I picked [drool] :oops: .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33 am

Flying in the face of all that Global Warming cobblers, I think autumn is coming a bit early this year in Britain.

Autumn doesn't usually start until some point in September, I think, but the weather is getting decidedly autumnal already.

Gone is the blazing hot weather we had throughout June and July, and it's been replaced by rainclouds, the odd spot of drizzle and a severe drop in temperature. Most nights now - and the dark nights are starting to creep in - when I'm sitting watching the telly I put the fan heater on to warm the place up, and I've started putting on a coat on when I go out for the first time in a few months.

Today I took the dog out for walkies and the wind was almost blowing us off our feet. We persevered for 20 minutes until the heavens opened and what must have been a month's worth of rain fell in five minutes. We ran home.

It's stopped raining now, but it's still blustery outside. Even right now I can hear the wind whistling through the letterbox on the front door every time a gust blows up.

To top it all off, we're predicted to be hit by an Arctic blast in the next few days.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:40 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
27C and sunny. Went and did some berry picking today and I came back with two ice cream pail of blueberries and another of raspberries. The wife picked two pails of each...... I ate half of the raspberries I picked [drool] :oops: .

There are loads of blackberries near where I live and they start to ripen at this time of year. In fact, the whole country gets covered in blackberries at this time of year and harvesting them is actually a popular pastime. Loads of them grow on the old railway line, which was a victim of the Beeching cuts in the 1960s and which is now a footpath, near to where I live. Me and my mum used to like going picking them when we took the dog for walks down there. That was until September last year when we inadvertently disturbed a wasps' nest amongst some blackberry bushes and we got stung to high heaven. I looked online afterwards and found out that wasps love nesting in blackberry bushes. Since then my mum doesn't go anywhere near the blackberries, so I just pick them on my own for her. Or when I'm taking the dog out I just gather a few in my hands and eat them right there. I just hope nobody's pissed on them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:22 am

We're too far north and east for wild blackberries, or even cultured ones for that matter. In BC they grow everywhere. We used to have a bramble in our backyard that grew up a rock face. The ditches along roads are full of them in the Lower Mainland. My Grandmother always made Blackberry Jam. There are also Loganberries and Salmonberries. We got a bunch of wild mint for tea, as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:08 pm

We're too far north and east for wild blackberries

They grow wild down in the southernmost part of Ontario ... Niagara Peninsula, north shore of Lake Erie, etc. ... the "Carolinian Zone".

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Flash flood in Winnipeg. Torrential rain. My evestrough was dangling, spilling water. And basement flooded, ankle deep. Almost to the top of my rubber boots. Normally in spring my basement can get wet, there are cracks in the wall that leak when ground is still frozen, but I've never seen the drain backup before. It usually just runs along the floor to the drain. Had to pull all sorts of things out of the basement. When rain got lighter, the drain did open. Street in front of my house flooded to the top of the curb. My neighbourhood has a combined sewar. Street flooding had to drain before my basement drain opened. Don't know if this house has a ball valve to prevent backup. Water looked and smelled like muddy water, but didn't smell like sewage. Probably just dirt.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:40 pm

Im thinking I'll be able to see snow on them thar hills in the west in the morning. 8O

9C right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Hello.

I am from Germany, the weather is very good here. 17 C degrees at the morning.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 am

Hotels and resorts on Italy’s northern coastline compensate tourists for bad weather.

For all the bitching, turns out we weren't even getting the worse of it.

August was worse than July ffs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ather.html

Just waiting for that volcano in Iceland.. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:40 am

Just waiting for that volcano in Iceland.

I can see the headlines in the U.S. media now:

"Europe cut off and isolated by another Iceland eruption."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 pm

24C and SO nice... expected to stay that way while getting warmer until Wednesday. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:24 pm

The almanac says we're going to get ass raped again this winter with colder temperatures and lots of snow. :?
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/25/ha ... c-predicts

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Predicting hash winter weather for Alberta is a pretty safe bet.

Can't comment on the ass raped part, tho ..

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Chilly, wind, and drizzling rain. Rain blew in my face. And it'll get more chilly tonight:
+10.8°C, 27 km/h wind, 89% humidity
forcast for overnight: 8°
forcast for tomorrow: high 17°, 30% chance of showers

Club members were going to come to my place to pick apples. I have a full-size mature apple tree. Far more than I can pick. I said grapes are mine, but they can keep what apples they pick. Had to cancel due to rain. But forcast is more rain Sunday. Apples should be picked before end of the month, or they'll fall and rot. But if we do get sunny mild weather, who is free on a week day?

Summer was a Tuesday?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7521 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 309  310  311  312  313  314  315 ... 502  Next