bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Well the glorious day has come to an end. We are minutes away from some sever thunder storms. Already hear the thunder booming. As I type this the rain just started to fall.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:54 am

Rain. Thunderstorms.

But, something cool too!

$1:
Skywatchers across the country enjoying outburst of rarely seen 'jaw-dropping' clouds

Noctilucent clouds putting on a show stretching south all the way to California

If you've happened to glance up at the sky about an hour after sunset or an hour before sunrise and noticed wispy, electric blue clouds on the horizon, you've managed to catch a rare sighting of noctilucent clouds, or NLCs.

Over the past few weeks, NLCs, also known as polar mesospheric clouds, have been spotted not just in northern regions, but in areas that have never had reported sightings before, including as far south as California.

"We're seeing more [NLCs] this year than any other time," said James Russell, principal investigator for NASA's Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere (AIM) satellite that studies NLCs. "In fact, we've seen them at the lowest latitudes on record."

NLCs are the highest clouds in our atmosphere, at an altitude of roughly 80 kilometres.

While NLCs still aren't completely understood, researchers know that three things need to be present in order for them to form: an increase in water vapour, very cold temperatures and particles on which the water vapour can freeze.

The sun must also be at least six degrees below the horizon to illuminate the clouds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/noct ... -1.5183244

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 am

amazing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 am

Pretty, but not 'jaw-dropping'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:40 am

My Weather:
$1:
Rainfall Warning for Southern Alberta
Active for next 14 hours · Environment Canada
This alert has been updated.
Posted 2 hours ago
A long episode of rain, at times heavy, continues.

A low pressure system will continue to bring rain. Total rainfall amounts of 50 to 80 mm are expected with local accumulations possibly exceeding 100 in the Bow Valley region. Rain will end by the afternoon in Jasper and Nordegg and this evening along the southern foothills and in Calgary.

Rain in Calgary will vary significantly with this event. Radar estimates show close to 50 mm of rain has occurred over the northwestern sections of the city while the southeast is closer to 10 mm. Rain continues over the northwest while the southeast is currently unlikely to see warning criteria rainfall with this event.

###

Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible. Be prepared for possible winter conditions at higher elevations.

Rainfall warnings are issued when significant rainfall is expected.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm

Me:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:22 am

Rain. Thunderstorms. Funnel clouds. :( And not very warm; 20, 21. :(

Got another two hailstorms yesterday too. F-ked up my peppers again, and might have damaged some weed. :x

Supposed to be this way for a couple weeks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:24 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Rain. Thunderstorms. Funnel clouds. :( And not very warm; 20, 21. :(

Got another two hailstorms yesterday too. F-ked up my peppers again, and might have damaged some weed. :x

Supposed to be this way for a couple weeks.

A bird fucked up my Roomates weed.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 am

A "bird", or a bird? ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:41 am

Magpie. Yanked the seed out of the earth and ate it, just as it was sprouting.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 am

:lol:

I <3 magpies. Cheeky bastards.

I've lost a few plants already. It's actually a tough plant to grow. They kept getting to the 4 leaf stage, then fall over and die. Got it figured out now, I think.

Doesn't save my already decimated pepper crop though. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Until this evening, conditions will be favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms capable of producing strong wind gusts, hail and heavy rain. 8O

EDIT: That's 2 big booms now.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:19 pm

It is unusually cool for a summer day in Sacramento. Only 80F with high clouds instead of the more typical heat that makes the asphalt soft and squishy when you walk on it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:29 am

Supposed to be in the 90'sF today and into tomorrow then rain some point on Saturday. Late Saturday cooling to the 70'sF

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:31 am

We had the storm of storms last night.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:00 pm

5 provinces with severe thunderstorm warnings right now. None here but thunderstorms are expected later tonight.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7521 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 432  433  434  435  436  437  438 ... 502  Next