bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I'm looking at ekwb cooling, two P series kits as that chassis can handle two watercooling kits and radiators. One kit for the processor, one for the VGAs.
Separate loops or gonna join em?
$1:
Video will be dual XFX Raedon Vega 64's with 8GB of DDR5 RAM, mainly because it's the only one that Newegg has in stock right now. Mainboard will be an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme, sTR4 X399 chipset, 128GB of RAM. Dual Intel SSD's, in a stripe set. 8O I'll have to cave and run Windows 10 in a dual boot mode too. :( Win7 doesn't support Threadripper.
Why vega over 1080ti? Board looks sick. Intel for the reliability? M.2 or sata? I want to get one of the samsung m.2 drives for my OS drive. If it weren't for long ass posts on x99 boards, I'd have an instant boot with one of those.
$1:
I might replace my gaming keyboard, mouse and headset, but haven't decided. They serve me well (all Razer), and don't show any signs of wear. Can't replace my gaming keypad, Logitech G13, because there is nothing like it anymore. Odd how geeks can have nerdgasms over the type of springs in a keyboard. ;)

If your razer stuff is 5+ years old, I'd avoid it now, their quality control has taken a tanking in recent years. Lots of dead keyboards/mice came back.

Also, blue/brown switches for life.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Tricks Tricks:

Individual. The case supports 2 loops with 2 huge radiators, and I'm a big fan of redundancy. ;) If one loop dies, it won't fry the other. Same reason I'd go with nickle plated water blocks, longevity. I don't know if a 6 channel fan controller will be enough (center bottom drive bay in the picture) but I might use one for the time being as it might take a few weekends to engineer my own solution.

I want Intel for the sustained transfer rates. Samsung are good (have one now) but if I'm going to stripe them to gain transfer speed, I want a drive that can sustain that transfer rate.

I'm used to the proprietary SSDs we have here on our EMC SANs. I wish they would fit in a PC, but they are also $2000/TB.

Tricks Tricks:
Why vega over 1080ti? Board looks sick. Intel for the reliability? M.2 or sata? I want to get one of the samsung m.2 drives for my OS drive. If it weren't for long ass posts on x99 boards, I'd have an instant boot with one of those.

I've always favoured ATI cards (used to be a Canadian company), and AMD processors. I've only had a few NVidia cards, and never really liked them. I even won once in a Battlefield gaming tournament. :) Still didn't like it.

Tricks Tricks:
If your razer stuff is 5+ years old, I'd avoid it now, their quality control has taken a tanking in recent years. Lots of dead keyboards/mice came back.

Also, blue/brown switches for life.

I took a hiatus on Razer when they started demanding you sign up on their website in order to access the full features of their drivers. Sounds like there is no need to return.

I find Cherry Blue too loud, even with a headset on. Cherry Brown aren't bad. Cherry Grey (MX Speed) for me. Faster recover time, low hysteresis.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:

Individual. The case supports 2 loops with 2 huge radiators, and I'm a big fan of redundancy. ;) If one loop dies, it won't fry the other. Same reason I'd go with nickle plated water blocks, longevity. I don't know if a 6 channel fan controller will be enough (center bottom drive bay in the picture) but I might use one for the time being as it might take a few weekends to engineer my own solution.
That's valid. I have never bothered doing a full watercooling loop. Far too lazy for that, and too much maintenance. And yet I briefly considered a mineral oil build like an idiot.

$1:
I want Intel for the sustained transfer rates. Samsung are good (have one now) but if I'm going to stripe them to gain transfer speed, I want a drive that can sustain that transfer rate.

I'm used to the proprietary SSDs we have here on our EMC SANs. I wish they would fit in a PC, but they are also $2000/TB.
That's legit. Intel drives are so rock solid, they're pretty hard to beat in that department.
$1:
I've always favoured ATI cards (used to be a Canadian company), and AMD processors. I've only had a few NVidia cards, and never really liked them. I even won once in a Battlefield gaming tournament. :) Still didn't like it.
Enjoy your shit drivers ;)

$1:
I took a hiatus on Razer when they started demanding you sign up on their website in order to access the full features of their drivers. Sounds like there is no need to return.

I find Cherry Blue too loud, even with a headset on. Cherry Brown aren't bad. Cherry Grey (MX Speed) for me. Faster recover time, low hysteresis.

Yeah, that still exists, I've grown to loathe razer over the years. My Das has help up nicely.

I've never tried a grey! Linear or tactile? They have a super heavy push to them, I've always favoured the light ones.

Also, my case ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 am

Tricks Tricks:
That's valid. I have never bothered doing a full watercooling loop. Far too lazy for that, and too much maintenance. And yet I briefly considered a mineral oil build like an idiot.

I was thinking on using a waterless coolant, like I do in my vehicles. No ions in it, so it's a natural barrier to rust, and with no water it won't grow algae like regular coolants can. But I can't find if it's compatible with acrylic and PTFE tubing! There is a coolant too, used in early Cray supercomputers that was designed for heat transfer. But it is a very limited commodity, and can be dangerous.

Tricks Tricks:
Enjoy your shit drivers ;)

I've never had a problem with them. Just the opposite, I run 3 monitors (5760 X 1080p), and nVidia drivers were pretty hit and miss with their equivalent of Eyefinity - especially after an update. That's my main reason for disliking them. Quite often too, a game would stop working or start crashing after an update. Never happened with ATI drivers.

Tricks Tricks:
I've never tried a grey! Linear or tactile? They have a super heavy push to them, I've always favoured the light ones.

They are soft tactile, almost like a modern laptop key. They don't have a loud action, but the important part is they have a very short throw and quick recovery. Better for my main purpose - gaming. :) The switches in keyboards bounce like someone beating on a drum, so software has to 'debounce' them and returning them back to a static state can take a while. Cherry Grey keys have less 'bounce' so they return back to detente faster than most keys.

For work, I'd still have my IBM Model M if I could. :) (I still have one that is almost new!)

Tricks Tricks:
Also, my case ;)

Nice! More like a display case, or the trend of open air cryptominers.

I'm too 'Rainman' about airflow in my rigs for that, but I do like the aesthetics!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:53 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
But I can't find if it's compatible with acrylic and PTFE tubing!

Found it! Ethylene Glycol, Propelene Glycol (which that coolant is made of):

$1:
30 days of constant exposure with no damage. Plastic may even tolerate chemical for years.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/plasti ... ss-Acrylic

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I even won once in a Battlefield gaming tournament.

Hacker.

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:24 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah, I can make do with one of those and a Chromebook...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:17 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I was thinking on using a waterless coolant, like I do in my vehicles. No ions in it, so it's a natural barrier to rust, and with no water it won't grow algae like regular coolants can. But I can't find if it's compatible with acrylic and PTFE tubing! There is a coolant too, used in early Cray supercomputers that was designed for heat transfer. But it is a very limited commodity, and can be dangerous.
I had looked at that kind of cooling, but you still need to empty/flush semi-regularly to keep it running in optimal condition. And ain't no body got time for that.

Tricks Tricks:
I've never had a problem with them. Just the opposite, I run 3 monitors (5760 X 1080p), and nVidia drivers were pretty hit and miss with their equivalent of Eyefinity - especially after an update. That's my main reason for disliking them. Quite often too, a game would stop working or start crashing after an update. Never happened with ATI drivers.
That's fair, eyefinity was pretty solid. All my buddies/family who ends up with ATI drivers, I always have to trouble shoot why there is something wrong. They seem to be more finicky for normal usage than nvidia is.

Tricks Tricks:
They are soft tactile, almost like a modern laptop key. They don't have a loud action, but the important part is they have a very short throw and quick recovery. Better for my main purpose - gaming. :) The switches in keyboards bounce like someone beating on a drum, so software has to 'debounce' them and returning them back to a static state can take a while. Cherry Grey keys have less 'bounce' so they return back to detente faster than most keys.
Fortunately the games I play aren't competitive enough for that. And if they are, I'm bad at them and it's not worth worrying about it. :lol:
$1:
Nice! More like a display case, or the trend of open air cryptominers.

I'm too 'Rainman' about airflow in my rigs for that, but I do like the aesthetics!

Exactly! I liked being able to see everything, and it makes it much easier to swap anything. If I wanted I could turn it into a test bench down the line as well.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Distilled water works fine as a coolant. No corrosion and it's not a conductor if there's a leak.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Okay, how the hell do you play drums through headphones? :lol:

But anyway I'd love this but since you can't buy it I'd love to be able to rent it for a week and the best part is that it's only 2 million for that week.

Rent Abramovich’s Gigayacht Eclipse

0:
eclipse_yacht.jpg

Bigger than most of the ships that we served on, by the looks of it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

Sad when some asshole has a better ship for the occasional weekend tryst than you have for defending Western Civilization.

:|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:29 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

Sad when some asshole has a better ship for the occasional weekend tryst than you have for defending Western Civilization.

:|

Western civilization is rapidly coming to an end. Didn't you get the memo?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:30 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Distilled water works fine as a coolant. No corrosion and it's not a conductor if there's a leak.

But can grow algae!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Tricks Tricks:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

But can grow algae!

Distilled water is pure water and has no algae in it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12 ... 15  Next