Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:54 am

McDonald's had a website, since taken down, that advised its employees how to budget their munificent wages. Apparently budgeted healthcare costs of $20/month (gotta admit that's a lot of bandaids) and 0$ for gas and heating. OTOH it had some good info on what to tip the pool boy and gardner. http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/25/living/mc ... oyee-site/

It's this sort of disconnect between those that have and those that don't that's part of the problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:36 am

I like the advice where McDonald's advises their employees not to eat at McDonald's. That's some good advice! [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:34 am

BartSimpson wrote:
I like the advice where McDonald's advises their employees not to eat at McDonald's. That's some good advice! [B-o]

I think everyone knows that, it's just a matter of listening to your inner adult instead of your inner child.

When we eat fast food (maybe once or twice a month), it's usually Subway or Quiznos or something like that where you can get lots of veggies on your sandwich - as well as a place that lacks tons of deep-fried food on the menu.

It's okay to eat fast food once and a while, but the problem is that for too many people, it's a daily occurrence, not a treat as is should be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:48 am

BartSimpson wrote:

I bet that was the bigger reason why they opted to pull the site down. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 pm

This wave of this shit employers relying on state funding for their employees to even do something as basic as eat has to end. I don't get how the Republicans are not pissed about this. Business shouldn't need to rely on bloated government programs to survive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:00 pm

CanadianJeff wrote:
This wave of this shit employers relying on state funding for their employees to even do something as basic as eat has to end. I don't get how the Republicans are not pissed about this. Business shouldn't need to rely on bloated government programs to survive.

It's what used to be called a 'push-me-pull-you'.

If you get rid of the government programs that subsidize the underpaid employees then the employees will need to act for better wages - even if that means they quit their jobs in search of better jobs. If you cut the taxes that are used to fund the relief programs then the employers will be able to afford to pay better wages.

But if you tax businesses to fund programs to subsidize low wage employees then businesses will have to divert funds from wages to pay their taxes which creates more low wage employees. Or they go out of business and the remaining businesses pay MORE taxes to subsidize more people.

That's how it works.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Oh,that's how it works - cut business taxes and the owners will just use that money to raise wages. Funny, we cut business taxes a lot in Canada, and that didn't happen. Nor did business invest in upgrading machinery etc. Guess business people in the US just care more about their employees than Canadian ones do.

I have a sneaky suspicion tho that you could cut business taxes to 0 and employees would not see dime one if they are not in a high demand job. You just keep bringing in illegals, we bring in temp workers and immigrants to keep wages low.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:52 pm

I don't think that's quite how Mcdonalds or Wal Mart sees it when they make billions on billions of dollars and don't pay their employees squat while relying on state assistance.

Your argument makes two fatal assumptions:

1. Employers that pay workers low wages can't afford to pay more.
2. The employers want to actually pay more.

I suggest rather then cutting taxes we be a bit smarter and amend the tax code. Close a lot of the current tax loops (especially those that allow for offshore accounts tax free) and instead rewrite the tax code so that employees wages are in part tax deductible and employees health insurance is almost fully deductible.

Not only would this actively allow employers to get more competitive with wages it would incentivize them to do so as it would become a very effective means of tax right off while helping business owners of all sizes.

After all why have all these programs for health and dental assistance for low income people if we can just give that money to the employer insuring them in the first place as a tax write off.

Then again I think using tax code to reward good behavior rather then punish bad behavior is way beyond the current mindset of our politicians.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 pm

they didn't advise them not to eat there for health reasons. They pay so little they can't even afford McD's.
My advice - go to a library, it's FREE. Look up what your fucking Grampas did when employers paid shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:06 pm

WTF? Wages, health benefits are all deducted from gross income before a business pays taxes on the rest. They pay taxes on net income, ie after all expenses have been deducted from the gross. Maybe I misunderstood your point, since I can't believe what you wrote here.

In the US, the govt misses a lot of tax income, because the huge health benefit costs businesses have are not taxable for employees, ie they get those benefits tax free, and the business can write off what they put out for those benefits.

Most employers do their best to keep wages as low as possible. For low skill jobs like McDonalds, that's going to be near the minimum wage, since there are so many desperate people looking for work. Only a few companies, like Costco, are enlightened enough to realize paying decent wages increases worker productivity, especially since people are much less likely to quit a good paying job - far lower training costs, less absenteeism, pilferage etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:07 am

pay peanuts and you'll get sickly, lethargic, thieving monkeys that are allergic to peanuts

Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 am

You cant avoid eating mcdonalds while working, its like a disease PDT_Armataz_01_32

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:43 am

So after 8 years her firing is a coincidence?? :wink: :wink: :wink:

A McDonald’s worker picked up the bill when some first responders came in after fighting a fire in freezing temperatures. But when she came into work the next day she was fired.

Heather Levia, 23, from Olean, New York, has worked at McDonald’s for eight years, has twins at home and is putting herself through nursing school.

She says she knows what it is like to work hard. So when the firefighters came in and ordered 25 breakfast sandwiches and hash browns, Levia paid the $92 bill herself.

When a second department ordered $70 of food, Levia texted her boss to see if the company would pay the tab. But when her boss said no, Levia and other workers again picked up the bill.

“Just because I appreciate everything they do,” she told WIVB.

After the firefighters found out that Levia had paid for the food herself, some firefighters called her boss and complained.

You opened a whole bee’s nest,” she was told.

At her next shift she was fired. She says the reason given was she swore at a superior — something she denies.

“I did say this is ‘freaking’ ridiculous. But it was not implied to anybody,” she said.

Allegany firefighters say they don’t expect free food and were grateful for the gesture.

“We certainly regret the fact she lost her job. We can’t speak on corporate policy because we don’t know the background of it,” said Allegany Fire Media Officer Gordon Scott. “It was a sad affair because a gentleman lost a home. And it’s even worse because we know now that this gal apparently lost her job because of it.”

Levia, who has already been offered two other jobs in the community, said she felt sad that people can’t help each other out.

“It’s just wrong. I wish the communities would change and help each other out. I wish that things didn’t have to be the way they are. And if losing my job is going to speak out to the community, then that’s what it’s going to do.”

Tom Meyers, the owner of the Olean McDonald’s, released a statement saying Levia’s termination had nothing to do with her gesture of goodwill.

more

http://nypost.com/2014/02/19/mcdonalds- ... ers-meals/
Modify message