CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:26 pm
 


http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Dougla ... story.html


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20917
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:48 pm
 


Neat article. This is something I perhaps struggle with. Not sure what to say about it.

I will say that I simply disbelieve it is a significant struggle.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28046
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:59 pm
 


Yeah, I tend not to put much stock in the nonsense that comes out of universities having much impact, if any, on my life. The worst people I've ever met in my life have usually been bullying, vicious, hyper-competitive, and hyper-aggressive males. With my own experience being such I really don't have too much interest in worrying about some feminists that are allegedly coming to get me.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20917
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:40 pm
 


Agreed. My negative opinions of men aren't the product of being read feminist literature as a kid or something. My views of men come from experience and observation. Men in movies being bafoony drunken wife beating child rapists isn't what made me "misandric". Being friends with raped girls in middle/high/post-secondary schools made me misandric. Being beaten and smacked around by men. Being threatened and regimented by men. Witnessing terrible fathers and husbands in public. The worst people in my life are men. I can only really think of one woman I dispise, she lacks viciousness and the threat of violence, but she's worked hard to be a terrible person none-the-less. I feel that men don't need to try very hard to be animalistic savage beasts, evil comes naturally to men.

Being male only increases my confidence in these assumptions.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 29396
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:55 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Yeah, I tend not to put much stock in the nonsense that comes out of universities having much impact, if any, on my life. The worst people I've ever met in my life have usually been bullying, vicious, hyper-competitive, and hyper-aggressive males. With my own experience being such I really don't have too much interest in worrying about some feminists that are allegedly coming to get me.

But men are usually up-front in competitive situations with other men. Women will treat female competitors like best friends, then stab them in the back. :lol:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 5219
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:58 pm
 


raydan wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Yeah, I tend not to put much stock in the nonsense that comes out of universities having much impact, if any, on my life. The worst people I've ever met in my life have usually been bullying, vicious, hyper-competitive, and hyper-aggressive males. With my own experience being such I really don't have too much interest in worrying about some feminists that are allegedly coming to get me.

But men are usually up-front in competitive situations with other men. Women will treat female competitors like best friends, then stab them in the back. :lol:


Shhhh! You're stereotyping women. Hurtful stereotypes like that are a tool of the patriarchy used to oppress women.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28046
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:04 pm
 


Public_Domain wrote:
Agreed. My negative opinions of men aren't the product of being read feminist literature as a kid or something. My views of men come from experience and observation. Men in movies being bafoony drunken wife beating child rapists isn't what made me "misandric". Being friends with raped girls in middle/high/post-secondary schools made me misandric. Being beaten and smacked around by men. Being threatened and regimented by men. Witnessing terrible fathers and husbands in public. The worst people in my life are men. I can only really think of one woman I dispise, she lacks viciousness and the threat of violence, but she's worked hard to be a terrible person none-the-less. I feel that men don't need to try very hard to be animalistic savage beasts, evil comes naturally to men.

Being male only increases my confidence in these assumptions.


Good points. I only had to watch how the males in my own family behaved far too often to come to most of those conclusions as well. Kind of made the decision to never have children, in sort of a karmic cri-de-coeur that said 'the assholery stops here'. Most of the females in the family have been fairly awesome, despite the shit they got put through. The males though? Objectively speaking there really hasn't been a non-douchebag since the one great-grandfather about seventy/eighty years ago. That's just plain fucking sad.

Oddly enough the one really bad female I can recall, a co-worker who pretty much defined the term 'dirtiest player in the game', started her destructive crap at work with the 'just treat me like one of the guys' routine. Yeah honey, you're definitely one of the guys because you're being an asshole most of the time just like too many of the boys out there. This notably wasn't a problem with the other women who worked there and who didn't seem to feel much need to knife their co-workers in the back as much as they could. Just the one. Like all other human endeavours, there's always gotta be the one the wreck it.

Takes all kinds to fuck up the world. As George Carlin once said, things like this are the reason I'm cheering for whatever asteroid eventually comes along to smash us. :cry: :| :evil: :mrgreen:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20917
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:17 am
 


Thanos wrote:
Good points. I only had to watch how the males in my own family behaved far too often to come to most of those conclusions as well. Kind of made the decision to never have children, in sort of a karmic cri-de-coeur that said 'the assholery stops here'. Most of the females in the family have been fairly awesome, despite the shit they got put through. The males though? Objectively speaking there really hasn't been a non-douchebag since the one great-grandfather about seventy/eighty years ago. That's just plain fucking sad.
I was raised in a home of women and didn't meet my brothers until I was 17. The story of my birth is less than flattering, and every female in my immediete and associative family has been sexually assaulted or worse. I wasn't raised to hate men, but you really pick up on things when your loved ones are broken and hurt because some greedy savages simply decided it was their right to her body... I do not want a son, because I have inate doubts that good parenting is ever enough to prevent a boy from being a bastard, and I do not want a daughter, because I feel I would need to protect her and no one should live in a world that they are automatically in danger in...

Quote:
Oddly enough the one really bad female I can recall, a co-worker who pretty much defined the term 'dirtiest player in the game', started her destructive crap at work with the 'just treat me like one of the guys' routine. Yeah honey, you're definitely one of the guys because you're being an asshole most of the time just like too many of the boys out there. This notably wasn't a problem with the other women who worked there and who didn't seem to feel much need to knife their co-workers in the back as much as they could. Just the one. Like all other human endeavours, there's always gotta be the one the wreck it.
The one female I can think of is a walfare fraud and a horrible mother that uses her kids to cash in, putting those children through endless danger as she continues her drug addicted crash through life. She is a monster, and she works damn hard to be one.

Quote:
Takes all kinds to fuck up the world. As George Carlin once said, things like this are the reason I'm cheering for whatever asteroid eventually comes along to smash us. :cry: :| :evil: :mrgreen:
The planet is fine, the people are fucked!

There seems to be more conversation happening about gender struggles lately, and the MRAs here have only caused me to trip harder into feminist circles. Huffington Post did a full front page dedication to a hashtag called #BeenRapedNeverReported which was some of the most disturbing and powerful stuff I've ever read.

Often, MRAs feel the answer to the supposed misandry they see is just reactionary misogyny. A woman insults a man? Well then I should be abe to call her a bitch. The answer to an MRA is never "We shouldn't treat each other like shit", it's "I want to treat her like shit for treating me like shit", which is ultimately one of the core differences between feminism and MRAs. Feminists generally do aim for gender equality and is an independent movement. MRA, hilariousy, depends on feminism for its existence, as it is entirely a selfish and deluded overreaction to feminism. Their entire movement rings out like fascists brewing in response to socialists; they even recruit like a pack of dumbass neonazis.

Seeing men pictured as dumbasses isn't hurting my feelings. The reality is far more brutal and toxic.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63744
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:41 pm
 


Man-hating lesbians in academia is not news.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20878
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:44 pm
 


White man's burden. A potential rapist according to women and an oppressor according to non-whites. All taking place in a a relatively peaceful and prosperous society created primarily by ... white men.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:08 pm
 


the prof makes good points.

as for how men treat women, let's hope that the Gomeshi story gets's women to come forward. Women need to step up, be willing to face the shaming and report sexual assaults, or nothing will change. Women took a lot of shit to get the vote, time for them to do so again, to make reporting sexual assaults as natural as reporting a burglary.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20917
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 pm
 


I imagine that was pretty easy for you to type.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:39 pm
 


As in easy for me to say? Yes. I think it's valid tho. If women don't come forward, nothing will change.

Or we go where some women seem to be pushing, that we have a looser standard of finding men guilty of sexaul assault than beyond a reasonable doubt. That we buy into the idea that "women never lie about it" despite the evidence, even convictions, for just that. So she said would be enough to convict a man. Just watch that doesn't catch you at some point. If we keep the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, and that the accused is entitled to a vigorous defense from his lawyer, then it's always going to be difficult to prove sexual assault in cases where there is no physical evidence of assault.

Women's groups say it's up to men to stop rape. How can we if we don't know about it because women don't come forward? Not all men are rapists, despite what the SFU womyn's center was posting around campus while I was attending there.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20917
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 pm
 


andyt wrote:
Women's groups say it's up to men to stop rape. How can we if we don't know about it because women don't come forward? Not all men are rapists, despite what the SFU womyn's center was posting around campus while I was attending there.
Attachment:
File comment: #beenrapedneverreported
B1Z9As_IEAA4R0Z.png
B1Z9As_IEAA4R0Z.png [ 930.83 KiB | Viewed 34 times ]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:13 pm
 


Too tiny to read, why not just post a link?

Yes, in any well functioning criminal justice system, some guilty will walk. The old saw that better 100 guilty go free than one innocent be jailed applies.

I hope this turns into more than a hashtag fad. Women who've been raped need to get together in support groups and encourage each other to come forward for the sake of all women. I hope you're not suggesting what you posted constitutes women coming forward.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  1  2  3  4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.