Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Best Buy's latest promotion has provoked an angry response on social media, but the company is defending its decision to recognize what it calls the "Moving Day holiday" in Quebec.

Many people have been surprised to see a flyer promoting a "Moving Day Sale" in Quebec on July 1. The same promotion is being advertised in the rest of the country as a "Canada Day Sale."

July 1 is a popular moving day in Quebec, since many leases in the province terminate at the end of June.

Early Sunday afternoon, Best Buy Canada’s Facebook page had about 30 angry posts from customers, many of them threatening to boycott the store.

"You know we celebrate Canada Day in Quebec too, right?" wrote Facebook user Lori-Anne Sernoskie.

Elizabeth Henry joked, "Can anyone tell me where to find a Moving Day flag? I have a Canadian Flag that needs replacing."

Danielle Jang, spokeswoman for Best Buy, replied to the criticism in a statement sent to CBC News.

"Like every year, we feel it is important to recognize the Moving Day holiday in Quebec because it is a significant day in this market and it's the only place in Canada where this happens," she said.

"We want to celebrate and recognize this as an important day."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... a-day.html

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Best Buy Fail.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:15 pm

'Moving Day Holiday'.

Morons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 am

jj2424 wrote:
Best Buy's latest promotion has provoked an angry response on social media, but the company is defending its decision to recognize what it calls the "Moving Day holiday" in Quebec.

Many people have been surprised to see a flyer promoting a "Moving Day Sale" in Quebec on July 1. The same promotion is being advertised in the rest of the country as a "Canada Day Sale."

July 1 is a popular moving day in Quebec, since many leases in the province terminate at the end of June.

Early Sunday afternoon, Best Buy Canada’s Facebook page had about 30 angry posts from customers, many of them threatening to boycott the store.

"You know we celebrate Canada Day in Quebec too, right?" wrote Facebook user Lori-Anne Sernoskie.

Elizabeth Henry joked, "Can anyone tell me where to find a Moving Day flag? I have a Canadian Flag that needs replacing."

Danielle Jang, spokeswoman for Best Buy, replied to the criticism in a statement sent to CBC News.

"Like every year, we feel it is important to recognize the Moving Day holiday in Quebec because it is a significant day in this market and it's the only place in Canada where this happens," she said.

"We want to celebrate and recognize this as an important day."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... a-day.html

I support recognizing Quebec's distinctiveness in the Constitution. I have a lot of sympathy for Quebec nationalism. I've played Devil's Advocate for La Belle Province with my fellow Anglophones more than once, including on this forum.

But, frankly, I think Quebec would be better served having the leases expire on July 31. This just reeks of a poke in the eye to the rest of the country, something that doesn't benefit anybody.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

*Sarcastically claps*

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:08 pm

If it is the case that leases in Quebeck expire on July 1 then what's wrong with a firm marketing its services and products to people who move on that day?

And apparently a whole bunch of Quebeckers will observe Canada Day by moving to a new place.

I'm not seeing the problem here aside from the perenially offended class being predictably offended by someone stating something that's patently obvious.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

It wouldn't be Canada Day if someone in Quebec didn't act like a dick on Canada Day. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanos wrote:
It wouldn't be Canada Day if someone in Quebec didn't act like a dick on Canada Day. 8)

Whoo-hoo! [flag]

Detroit Red Wings

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Yeah, I noticed that some retailers have been promoting "Moving Day" sales, while others "Canada Day" sales. To each his own I guess.

I am surprised why folks are targeting Best Buy? Other big retailers like Walmart are also replacing Canada Day sales with Moving Day Sales, yet no one is going after Walmart.

I did notice that in Montreal most department stores have included Canada Day greetings on the front page of last week's flyers.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:45 pm

You know the "grinch list" of companies that try to avoid the term Christmas in their advertising?

We should have a list like that for retailers who promote some obscure non-holiday called "Moving Day" over the birthday of the country on July 1st. :rock:

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanos wrote:

PDT_Armataz_01_37

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Thanos wrote:

Whoo-hoo! [flag]

Yes if Quebec were to celebrate Canada Day like the ROC something would be wrong. [flag] [flag] [flag] [flag] [flag] [flag]