CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

What do you think about official names lists?
They're a great idea, that way kids don't get stuck with bad names  20%  [ 1 ]
They're awful, they give way too much control over names to the state.  80%  [ 4 ]
They're okay, but only if the list can be fairly flexible  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know.  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Quote:
Call her the girl with no name.

A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means light breeze in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.

In Blaer's case, her mother said she learned the name wasn't on the register only after the priest who baptized the child later informed her he had mistakenly allowed it.

"I had no idea that the name wasn't on the list, the famous list of names that you can choose from," said Bjork Eidsdottir, adding she knew a Blaer whose name was accepted in 1973. This time, the panel turned it down on the grounds that the word Blaer takes a masculine article, despite the fact that it was used for a female character in a novel by Iceland's revered Nobel Prize-winning author Halldor Laxness.

Given names are even more significant in tiny Iceland than in many other countries: Everyone is listed in the phone book by their first names. Surnames are based on a parent's given name. Even the president, Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, is addressed simply as Olafur.

Blaer is identified as "Stulka" — or "girl" — on all her official documents, which has led to years of frustration as she has had to explain the whole story at the bank, renewing her passport and dealing with the country's bureaucracy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/03/iceland-name-fight.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:51 pm

We don't have an approved list, but we do have a disapproved list. I don't think you can change your name to God, for example. Too bad, becaue it suits me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:56 pm

I think it's a good idea. Can't even tell you how many times I've had to deal with made-up names.

(Sha-neek-wa) is one of the worst offenders I've run into. It is a name that popped up in the late 1970's with no historical antecedent. The spellings of the name are legion:

Shaniqua, Seaniqua, Shawniqua, Shannikwa, and etc. ad nauseaum.

I've also knew a guy named Adron who insisted that his name was pronounced "Adrian". I told him that for $110 (at the time) he could get the spelling of his name fixed at the City Clerk's office...and he did. I imagine a registry would have saved him about 20 years of telling people how to pronounce his name.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm

I think a disapprove-list is better than a list of approved names to choose from. People are creative, let them be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Freedom of speech supporters should be chiming in soon... no?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Gunnair wrote:
Freedom of speech supporters should be chiming in soon... no?

Freedom of speech should include spellcheck. Just saying. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Brenda wrote:
I think a disapprove-list is better than a list of approved names to choose from. People are creative, let them be.

Yep. Otherwise you get George Bush and... wait for it...George W. Bush... :lol: