bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 am

Quote:
On a cold November night in Times Square, Officer Lawrence DePrimo was working a counterterrorism post when he encountered an older, barefooted homeless man. The officer disappeared for a moment, then returned with a new pair of boots, and knelt to help the man put them on.

The act of kindness would have gone unnoticed and mostly forgotten, had it not been for a tourist from Arizona.

Her snapshot — taken with her cellphone on Nov. 14 and posted to the New York Police Department’s official Facebook page late Tuesday — has made Officer DePrimo an overnight Internet hero.

By Wednesday evening, the post had been viewed 1.6 million times, and had attracted nearly 275,000 “likes” and more than 16,000 comments — a runaway hit for a Police Department that waded warily onto the social media platform this summer with mostly canned photos of gun seizures, award ceremonies and the police commissioner.

Among all of those posts, the blurry image of Officer DePrimo kneeling to help the shoeless man as he sat on 42nd Street stood out. “This is definitely the most viral,” said Barbara Chen, a spokeswoman for the department who helps manage its Facebook page.

Thousands of people commented on Facebook and Reddit, which linked to the post on Wednesday. Most of them praised Officer Deprimo, yet some suspected the photograph had been staged. Many debated whether the officer’s actions were representative of police officers in general, or were just unusually exceptional.

“I still have a grudge against law enforcement everywhere,” wrote one commenter on the police Facebook page. “But my respects to that fine officer.”

Officer DePrimo, 25, who joined the department in 2010 and lives with his parents on Long Island, was shocked at the attention. He was not warned before the photo went online; the department had not learned which officer was in the picture until hours later.

The officer, normally assigned to the Sixth Precinct in the West Village, readily recalled the encounter. “It was freezing out and you could see the blisters on the man’s feet,” he said in an interview. “I had two pairs of socks and I was still cold.” They started talking; he found out the man’s shoe size: 12.

As the man walked slowly down Seventh Avenue on his heels, Officer DePrimo went into a Skechers shoe store at about 9:30 p.m. “We were just kind of shocked,” said Jose Cano, 28, a manager working at the store that night. “Most of us are New Yorkers and we just kind of pass by that kind of thing. Especially in this neighborhood.”

Mr. Cano volunteered to give the officer his employee discount to bring down the regular $100 price of the all-weather boots to a little more than $75. The officer has kept the receipt in his vest since then, he said, “to remind me that sometimes people have it worse.”

The photo was taken by Jennifer Foster, a civilian communications director for the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office in Arizona. She said the moment resonated for personal reasons: She remembered as a young girl seeing her father, a 32-year veteran of the Phoenix police force, buy food for a homeless man.

“He squatted down, just like this officer,” she said.

After returning from vacation, she described the picture in an e-mail to the New York Police Department, thinking of it as a sort of a compliment card. She never expected the picture to end up online — “I’m not on Facebook,” she said — but a department official e-mailed her and asked if she would send along the photo so it could be posted.

As for the man he helped, Officer DePrimo never got his name, and he could not be immediately located on Wednesday. “He was the most polite gentleman I had met,” the officer said, adding that the man’s face lit up at the sight of the boots. Officer DePrimo offered him a cup of coffee, but “as soon as the boots were on him, he went on his way, and I just went back to my post.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/nyreg ... html?_r=1&

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 am

Ahh, a little Christmas warmth--thanks Boots.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 am

Ahh, a little Christmas warmth--thanks Boots.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 am

Quote:
Many debated whether the officer’s actions were representative of police officers in general, or were just unusually exceptional.

I see it as representative of an act of kindness of one human being upon another.

Thanks for posting this bootlegga.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am

How about giving more taxes to the govt so we can actually house those homeless, not just do feelgood stuff at Christmas. The study going on in Vancouver right now is doing just that, and gettin incredible results in less use of medical and justice system. Some of the homeless have actually moved on to being self-supporting. The study doesn't just provide housing, but intense support. People are taking their meds, getting their medical and nutritional needs met, getting counselling, etc. They also have a control group who's getting none of these things, and the differences are harsh. In the end, we could save tax money as this sort of program actually saves money, but it takes big start up costs up front. This study is about to end and dump 300 people back on the street.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 am

Leave it to Scrooge (Andyt) here to dump on a perfectly nice story... :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

There was a letter to the editor in the Vancouver Sun the other day about it. We do our little good deed at Christmas, then tell them to fuck off the rest of the year. The ironic thing is we could actually save ourselves money if we just invested in programs like this. Maybe give up that latest generation dumbphone you've just got to have for a year.

Actually we spend quite a lot on this stuff. One million dollars a day for the Downtown Eastside in social services. But, since they're not coordinated, and are mostly just bandaid solutions, we get no return on that investment.

Last edited by andyt on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 am

andyt wrote:
How about giving more taxes to the govt so we can actually house those homeless, not just do feelgood stuff at Christmas. The study going on in Vancouver right now is doing just that, and gettin incredible results in less use of medical and justice system. Some of the homeless have actually moved on to being self-supporting. The study doesn't just provide housing, but intense support. People are taking their meds, getting their medical and nutritional needs met, getting counselling, etc. They also have a control group who's getting none of these things, and the differences are harsh. In the end, we could save tax money as this sort of program actually saves money, but it takes big start up costs up front. This study is about to end and dump 300 people back on the street.

:roll:

Why don't you stop this constant whining and efforts to steal other peoples'
money for your pet doping projects and do something on your own for a change.

Hows about YOU going out and arranging a pair of boots for a homeless guy ?

Trust me, you'll feel better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am

andyt wrote:
There was a letter to the editor in the Vancouver Sun the other day about it. We do our little good deed at Christmas, then tell them to fuck off the rest of the year. The ironic thing is we could actually save ourselves money if we just invested in programs like this. Maybe give up that latest generation dumbphone you've just got to have for a year.

Actually we spend quite a lot on this stuff. One million dollars a day for the Downtown Eastside in social services. But, since they're not coordinated, and are mostly just bandaid solutions, we get no return on that investment.

That might be how you live your life, Debbie Downer, but I donate to the food bank all year long.

I also donate clothes, toys and other household items to Goodwill and other charities willing to take them. In fact, tomorrow I'm dropping by a local non-profit (Terra Centre) that helps pregnant teens and donating a bunch of items they can use. I'm not doing it because it's close to Christmas, it's because my new daughter already can't use some of the gifts people bought for her, so we are simply passing them along.

I don't care that I don't get a tax credit (like if I gave cash) or get some experience to put on my resume.

FYI, the return I get is knowing I helped someone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah, that's good of you. But it's still a bandaid. Increase taxes to pay for the program I described, and as I said, at some point you'll actually have to pay less taxes, and not give charity either. And you'll have helped some people actually get back on their feet, instead of just having to rely on charity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

Here, maybe this more your idea of a nice story...

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 11.28.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 11.28.40 AM.png [ 118.1 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

andyt wrote:

...and here comes Captain Buzzkill.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm

That's a magic story, whatever the Grinch says.

Good one Boots.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm

andyt wrote:
How about giving more taxes to the govt so we can actually house those homeless