canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
...since the technology is there, why aren't they using it?

Maybe this incident will give it that little nudge. If that Air Malaysia flight is ever found and that sort of "mad pilot" incident caused that, as well, expect a lot of debate about having fully automated planes. If the public is afraid of the concept, they may become even more afraid of rogue pilots if sort of thing keeps happening. As irrational as that sounds, an irrational fear of terrorism has turned the aviation industry upsidedown, even though the car trip to the airport was always many times more dangerous that the threat of dying by air terrorism.

If you don't know the answer then shut up and quit expounding your severely limited aviation knowledge.
I don't know is a perfectly good answer.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 pm

andyt andyt:
Regina Regina:
I said it will NEVER happen.

Really?

Really!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Other bad predictions...

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Regina Regina:
Why do you keep blathering on about the technology being "almost there now" when in fact it's been here for years. It's been done! Do you not get the point being that there's a reason for having humans at the controls? Does it also need to be pointed out that drones are pilot-less but not un-piloted? Why do you think that is??
You certainly like to hear yourself talk. Like your "conservative aviators" WTF is that in your mind?

Oh and thanks for the brief history of flight Cpt. Obvious. :roll:

What is the point of having humans in cockpits? Most aviation deaths are the rusult of pilot error or in this recent case, of pilot misdeed. Those humans in the cockpit might just be a liability, not an advantage.

Go into any major airport and ask the passengers if they would prefer to fly on a pilot-less aircraft. You know what the answer will be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Regina Regina:
...since the technology is there, why aren't they using it?

Maybe this incident will give it that little nudge. If that Air Malaysia flight is ever found and that sort of "mad pilot" incident caused that, as well, expect a lot of debate about having fully automated planes. If the public is afraid of the concept, they may become even more afraid of rogue pilots if sort of thing keeps happening. As irrational as that sounds, an irrational fear of terrorism has turned the aviation industry upsidedown, even though the car trip to the airport was always many times more dangerous that the threat of dying by air terrorism.

If you don't know the answer then shut up and quit expounding your severely limited aviation knowledge.
I don't know is a perfectly good answer.[/quote

This is a debate forum and it is not customatry to tell other debators to"shut up" in any of them, especially when you don't care for their arguments.

I may be right, I may be wrong but I have said nothing to "shut up" about. I am a member of the flying public and you're goddamn right that I have an opinion on the quality of our air transportation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:41 pm

He's a moderator, he can do what he wants.

In Vancouver, people predicted the driverless Skytrain technology would never catch on (lots of Reginas here too I guess) and that they'd have to put in drivers in the end. Hasn't happened after 30+ years of service with no major incidents. I'm sure pilotless planes is coming, probably not as soon as you say, Jabber. And like somebody said, they'll start off with pilots in the cockpit doing nothing, until the airlines push to eliminate that to save money. First crash caused by the puter will cause a big hullabloo, until people give their heads a shake are loot at all the crashes caused by pilot error.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:44 pm

raydan raydan:
Other bad predictions...

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

You're not clear here, but your examples would indicate that puter piloted planes will come in. It will be helped by driverless cars becoming common. When people see how much safer and efficient they are, it will do a lot to lessen the fear of pilotless planes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:47 pm

andyt andyt:
raydan raydan:
Other bad predictions...

You're not clear here, but your examples would indicate that puter piloted planes will come in. It will be helped by driverless cars becoming common. When people see how much safer and efficient they are, it will do a lot to lessen the fear of pilotless planes.

I've learned from history and personal experience that you should never say never.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Yep, the youngsters still need to put in the years to learn that, I guess. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:59 pm

I will be sixty in a year and a bit and the the human race has changed more in those sixty years than probably in the previous five hundred. The size of it has doubled, for one and backward, primitive places back then (like China) are now taking over the political agenda of the planet. This technology that I'm using right now ... that we are virtually swimming in was not even guessed at in the 1950's. All of the major science fiction authors missed it completely.

The only constant is constant change.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:59 pm

andyt andyt:
Regina Regina:
I said it will NEVER happen.

Really? Maybe it's you that needs to put that star somewhere. It seems to be coming to the military first, as is often the case, then will start being accepted by civilians. It's probably not two decades away, as Jabber says, but never is a long time indeed.

Do tell? What has come to the military first?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:00 pm

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"There will never be a bigger plane built." -- A Boeing engineer, after the first flight of the 247, a twin engine plane that holds ten people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:02 pm

"The little wing goes at the front, right Orville?"

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:06 pm

This is a debate forum and it is not customatry to tell other debators to"shut up" in any of them, especially when you don't care for their arguments.

I may be right, I may be wrong but I have said nothing to "shut up" about. I am a member of the flying public and you're goddamn right that I have an opinion on the quality of our air transportation.

You've provided nothing but hollow prattle so there's been no debate at all. In fact I asked a question you don't understand and can't answer. My advice was that if you don't know what you're talking about then shut up instead of dithering into something else.

As I said previously. "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer. "I don't know but......." will lead someone to think you actual know something.

Opinions: They're like assholes....................................

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm

andyt andyt:
He's a moderator, he can do what he wants.

In Vancouver, people predicted the driverless Skytrain technology would never catch on (lots of Reginas here too I guess) and that they'd have to put in drivers in the end. Hasn't happened after 30+ years of service with no major incidents. I'm sure pilotless planes is coming, probably not as soon as you say, Jabber. And like somebody said, they'll start off with pilots in the cockpit doing nothing, until the airlines push to eliminate that to save money. First crash caused by the puter will cause a big hullabloo, until people give their heads a shake are loot at all the crashes caused by pilot error.

Planes are just like car? Do tell.............

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11  12 ... 15  Next