canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:15 pm

$1:
How's this as a man of the people: The president of Uruguay, José Mujica, has earned a nickname, "el presidente mas pobre" (translation: "poorest president").
The 77-year-old recently admitted to the Spanish newspaper El Mundo that he donates almost all of his presidential salary, making him the poorest, or, as Univision pointed out, most generous president, in the world.
El presidente explained he receives $12,500 a month but keeps only $1,250. The public servant told the newspaper, "I do fine with that amount; I have to do fine because there are many Uruguayans who live with much less."
He and his wife—a senator who also donates part of her salary—live in a farmhouse in Montevideo. His biggest expense is his Volkswagen Beetle, valued at $1,945.
Perhaps not surprisingly, under the former guerrilla fighter, who was elected in 2010 as a member of the left-wing coalition, the Broad Front, the country has become known for being one of the least corrupt on the continent.
Mujica has no bank accounts and no debt, and he enjoys one thing money can't buy: the companionship of his dog, Manuela.
The Uruguayan is not the first president to donate his salary. U.S. President John F. Kennedy, who came from wealth, donated his salary when in office, as did President Herbert Hoover. Hoover, who grew up poor, decided to never accept money for public service, so he could not be accused of corruption.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ ... 25869.html

Very nice. but I'd rather they don't accept all that corrupt money that tries to influence their decision making. A president deserves a decent income, tho if he asks the country to tighten their belts, he should too. It's the under the table or even over the table lobbying money that concerns me more.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Read this on Facebook a few weeks ago... Nice to see a leader walk street level.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 pm

He's contemptible. Anyone who engaged in political kidnapping, assassination and murder is scum.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:
He's contemptible. Anyone who engaged in political kidnapping, assassination and murder is scum.

Because the govt at the time were such sweethearts:
$1:
He [president of Uruguay] immediately implemented price and wage freezes in an attempt to control inflation, and enforced a state of emergency in June 1968 citing the resulting labour disputes. Constitutional safeguards were repealed during these periods, and the government used torture during interrogations, brutally repressed demonstrations, and imprisoned political dissidents.
As an excuse to justify repressive measures, his administration blamed the National Liberation Movement (MLN in Spanish), an urban guerrilla group also known as the Tupamaros, formed earlier in 1963, a left-wing revolutionary organization broadly inspired by Cuba's model. The group kidnapped and later released several foreign nationals, robbed banks to raise funds, freed political prisoners, and killed police officials who were known to torture their political prisoners.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Wasn't commenting about a government was I?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:26 pm

You said he was despicable. In light of what the govt of the time was up to, how despicable is fighting back? The part I quoted said they killed police known to use torture. I don't know much about Uruguay, but if that's all they killed, seems to me the rebels had a point. Possibly acknowledged by the amnesty that came with the return to democracy.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Doesn't matter to me, anyone who engages in political kidnapping, assassination and murder is contemptible scum.

The Tupamaros went from honourable to scum and he was a part of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 am

Hey y'all, I'm a dirtbag spammer what just dropped in to lay my load of shit ass stupid spam here on y'all, hoping to drum up some bisness fer myself, enjoy yerselves....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
Doesn't matter to me, anyone who engages in political kidnapping, assassination and murder is contemptible scum.

There is that temptation though, to adopt the tactics of the oppressive if that is what is needed to stop them... I mean passive resistance is great so long as you aren't getting beaten, tortured, desaparado, or killed.

And who are we in Canada to condemn someone for taking that option under such circumstances.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 am

SprCForr SprCForr:

You must really love the CIA.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 am

They only do it to the bad guys. Used to be those were commies like this scumbag.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
SprCForr SprCForr:

You must really love the CIA.

I wrote "anyone" and I meant anyone.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm

SprCForr SprCForr:

You get internet in fantasy land? Impressive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Not quite as good as the service they provide you in assisted living land, but it's not too shabby.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Xort Xort:
SprCForr SprCForr:

You get internet in fantasy land? Impressive.

Fantasy land? Really? You have no idea.

It's funny that you try to present yourself as some profound thinker and yet you can't see an alternative method to achieving a political goal without resorting to butchery.

So pedestrian, how sad.