bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:23 am

andyt andyt:
It's a beautiful game, but like all sports is better in the doing than sitting on one's fat ass watching.

It's stacked with teams from Europe and South America because that's where they're passionate about it so produce winning teams.

Soccer has the highest participation rate of any team sport in Canada, so maybe at some point we'll have the interest to have better teams as well. Not sure if phlegmatic Canadians will make top caliber players tho.

And of course there's no fighting, so scratch that; it will never catch on at world cup level here. Maybe we should develop our own game, call it Hocker, and allow teams to field big lumbering goons to beat the shit out of opposing players. Running up and down the pitch for 45 minutes at a stretch would kill them, but there's plenty more where they came from.

I don't see any beauty in it, just boredom. I played it as a child and watched it as an adult and I've never found anything boring about it.

Soccer has long had a high participation rate, but without pro leagues and developmental networks here for adults to play on, players either drift to other sports (Ed Jovanovski is a prime example) or only play with friends.

But you're probably right (and I have suggested it myself in the past), that sports here are all about speed and power. That's why football, baseball, basketball and hockey are the most popular sports here - and soccer doesn't even rate in the Top 10.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 am

desertdude desertdude:
bootlegga bootlegga:
That's one of the reasons I refuse to watch or even care about the World Cup - it is stacked with European & South American teams and everywhere else gets short shrift.

It's also likely one of the reasons most North Americans aren't as passionate about the sport, as it's hard to support a sport if your team hardly ever plays in the tournament - I know that's why I don't give a damn about it.

Fair play I guess, same reason why majority of world doesn't really give a crap about American football either, baseball, ice hockey or curling for that matter :)

You're might be right about football, baseball and curling, but the IIHF has 70+ member nations - including a fair number from non-traditional hockey nations like Thailand, Mexico, Morocco, Australia, Israel and Qatar to name a few.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-iihf/members/

That's a fairly substantial global audience if ask me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
It's picking up. It's tough because the Cup is very Eurocentric. For Canada to make it to th final 32, we have to beat the US (soccer's not big there either, but they have ten times the population),, plus soccer crazy countries like Mexico. But MLS has made a difference--the caliber of soccer is way higher than it has been in the past, with some pretty god players. Whitecaps are doing well finanicially, and the scores of the game aren't relegated to the corner of the last page in the sports section anymore.

Canadian kids compete well internationally--the problem seems to arise when they are 16 or so. We just don't have the system in place to develop elite players at that age. Nothing like the equivalent of hockey Junior leagues.

One thing I don't buy is this whole "hockey rules" thing. Sure hockey is number one in Canada, but Sweden manages to put together decent hockey and soccer teams with ten million people.

The problem is popularity - soccer just isn't popular enough to support a pro league in Canada. There have been probably around half a dozen soccer leagues that have had teams in Edmonton and they always fold due to money issues.

Edmonton has had several teams called the Drillers in my lifetime and the team and/or the league folded after a season or two due to lack of money.

While I'm not a fan, it looks like the MLS is soccer finally done right in North America - start slowly, build a base and expand as popularity grows. Adding Beckham and other international stars certainly helped too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:16 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
The problem is popularity - soccer just isn't popular enough to support a pro league in Canada. There have been probably around half a dozen soccer leagues that have had teams in Edmonton and they always fold due to money issues.

Edmonton has had several teams called the Drillers in my lifetime and the team and/or the league folded after a season or two due to lack of money.

While I'm not a fan, it looks like the MLS is soccer finally done right in North America - start slowly, build a base and expand as popularity grows. Adding Beckham and other international stars certainly helped too.

Not sure I agree. It's actually the most popular sport in Canada to play. Easy to understand, all you need is a ball and a field and away you go! It's a "starter" sport though--kids play soccer until they make bantam rep hockey, or until they find out they're good at tennis, or volleyball. And you're right, we don't have the ability to support a pro-league in Canada (though it's not just popularity; geography has a lot to do with it too).

I suppose you meant popularity as a spectator sport though--fair enough. It's not for everyone. Whitecaps have had some success here too--first off soccer games are short: two hours. That's awesome for kids, because their attention goes pretty fast. Plus the energy is great--way better than Canucks games. Lots of chants and yelling "YOU FAT BASTARD" right before the opposition goal kicks (the kids love that too!). And the games are cheap plus you don't get hosed on the concessions. And they have tons going on outside the stadium before a game.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:29 pm

The beer is kinda pricey at BC Place but the rest is pretty good. And Zip is totally right about the atmosphere for the Whitecaps. It's a passionate crowd that can make a lot of noise. I remember last year I went to the game and then a Canucks game right after. It was night and day. I thought I was at a funeral the crowd was so quiet and that was a game where we beat LA 5-2.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:34 pm

xerxes xerxes:
The beer is kinda pricey at BC Place but the rest is pretty good. And Zip is totally right about the atmosphere for the Whitecaps. It's a passionate crowd that can make a lot of noise. I remember last year I went to the game and then a Canucks game right after. It was night and day. I thought I was at a funeral the crowd was so quiet and that was a game where we beat LA 5-2.

Yeah--it's BC. You get hosed for beer everywhere. Bottomless popcorn for the kids though!

I think the Canucks games are basically packed with clients who got free corporate seats. I sure as hell can't drop a grand to take the family out ot a hockey game. Went to a lot of Giants games though!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm

A bunch of guys running/walking on a big ass field for 45 minutes, take a break and then do 45 minutes more. Maybe a couple of shots on net a game and if any player comes within yards of another, he flops to the ground like he was plugged by a sniper in the upper levels of the stadium. :roll:

Fuck me, the world found a sport that makes baseball almost thrilling! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:33 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
A bunch of guys running/walking on a big ass field for 45 minutes, take a break and then do 45 minutes more. Maybe a couple of shots on net a game and if any player comes within yards of another, he flops to the ground like he was plugged by a sniper in the upper levels of the stadium. :roll:

To each his own. Look at American/Canadian footbal--five seconds of action followed by five minutes of walking around doing nothing. For three and a half hours. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

To each his own. Look at American/Canadian footbal--five seconds of action followed by five minutes of walking around doing nothing. For three and a half hours. :lol:

Wish I could rep you. I'll get ya later.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

True enough, though the CFL isn't quite as bad as the NFL. More like 6-10 seconds of action followed by only around a minute of standing around. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Here's as good an explanation of FIFA's nefarious ways as you'll ever see.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 am

Qatar have an excellent soccer team, recently thrashing the hosts UAE in the Asian Cup and beating Japan in the final. Let's hope the home fans brought extra footwear:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... final.html

Needless to say, the pettiness of such countries extends beyond the religious end of things:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... t-to-match

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:

And yet people watch golf in North America.

Sport is like food. You like what you're used to. BTW regarding shots, take a look at any Liverpool or Man City game and you'll see more than two in a match.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 am

Fucking move the Venue already, FIFA is looking like shit here. Qatar seems to have been the most scandal wrought World Cup I can remember... This is disgraceful.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:30 am

Rugby is the true sport. 45 minutes of savagery, a break and another 45 of bloodshed.