canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:09 pm

$1:
Senior football officials in Africa received over $5 million in bribes to make sure Qatar won the bid for the 2022 World Cup, the Sunday Times reports citing leaked documents.

http://rt.com/news/162916-qatar-wotld-cup-bribe/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:00 pm

FIFA corrupt? Say it ain't so!

This really isn't a surprise. The fact that Qatar won the bid is all the evidence one needs to start a corruption investigation. A country with no football history or traction, a country where it gets 50+ degrees during the day in summer when the WC is scheduled to be on, a country where all the stadiums have to be built not to mention the entirety of the city that's supposed to host the final....

And I could go on. It's hard to say who's more corrupt some days; the IOC or FIFA?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:03 am

It won only because of its oil money.

It was also a scandal that, for the 2018 World Cup, the best bid - England's - didn't win, and that that World Cup will also be hosted by an oil-rich nation - Russia (albeit one with a football tradition, unlike Qatar).

For that reason, strip Qatar of the 2022 World Cup, a country which is now deemed to be too hot anyway to host the World Cup in June and July, the traditional months to host it, and award it to England instead. At least then, nothing will have to be built. Unlike Brazil (which is still undertaking building work the week before its starts hosting this year's World Cup) and Qatar, England already has hi-tech stadiums in place.

The only problem, though, is that Fifa don't want the 2022 World Cup to be in Europe.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:05 am

xerxes xerxes:
FIFA corrupt? Say it ain't so!

This really isn't a surprise. The fact that Qatar won the bid is all the evidence one needs to start a corruption investigation. A country with no football history or traction, a country where it gets 50+ degrees during the day in summer when the WC is scheduled to be on, a country where all the stadiums have to be built not to mention the entirety of the city that's supposed to host the final....

And I could go on. It's hard to say who's more corrupt some days; the IOC or FIFA?

^ This.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:20 am

I'm not so angry that FIFA's corrupt. I'm angry that the US Soccer Federation couldn't spend more than $5 million on a bribe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:58 am

DanSC DanSC:
I'm not so angry that FIFA's corrupt. I'm angry that the US Soccer Federation couldn't spend more than $5 million on a bribe.

Pointless football fact of the day: The USA is the only country outside of Europe and South America to receive a medal in the World Cup, finishing third in the 1930 World Cup, the first ever one.

There were, however, only 13 teams in that World Cup, as opposed to the 32 who will be playing in the World Cup which starts next week. The four UK Home Nations - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - were invited by the host nation Uruguay to take part but they still did not compete at that World Cup as they had fallen out with Fifa and left the organisation in 1928, not rejoining it until 1946. So England - the country which invented football - did not participate in the World Cup until 1950, in which they lost 1-0 to the USA in Belo Horizonte, a result which remains one of the biggest upsets in football history. 1950 was also the last time that Brazil - who have won the World Cup a record five times, in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002 - has hosted the World Cup until this year. In the final match of the 1950 World Cup (in that tournament the "Final" was actually a group containing the four teams who had qualified from the groups earlier in the tournament) Uruguay beat Brazil 2-1 to become World Champions for the second time, this time in front of a massive crowd of 173,850, which remains the biggest ever crowd at a football match.

In the 1930 Final (above), Uruguay beat Argentina 4-2 in front of a crowd of 93,000, becoming football's first World Champions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:02 am

Batsy2 Batsy2:
DanSC DanSC:

Pointless football fact of the day: The USA is the only country outside of Europe and South America to receive a medal in the World Cup, finishing third in the 1930 World Cup, the first ever one.

That's one of the reasons I refuse to watch or even care about the World Cup - it is stacked with European & South American teams and everywhere else gets short shrift.

It's also likely one of the reasons most North Americans aren't as passionate about the sport, as it's hard to support a sport if your team hardly ever plays in the tournament - I know that's why I don't give a damn about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:11 am

It's a beautiful game, but like all sports is better in the doing than sitting on one's fat ass watching.

It's stacked with teams from Europe and South America because that's where they're passionate about it so produce winning teams.

Soccer has the highest participation rate of any team sport in Canada, so maybe at some point we'll have the interest to have better teams as well. Not sure if phlegmatic Canadians will make top caliber players tho.

And of course there's no fighting, so scratch that; it will never catch on at world cup level here. Maybe we should develop our own game, call it Hocker, and allow teams to field big lumbering goons to beat the shit out of opposing players. Running up and down the pitch for 45 minutes at a stretch would kill them, but there's plenty more where they came from.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:38 am

The US team has gotten a lot better in the last decade. The population base is there in the US to consistently have WC capable squads. The US unlucky this time as they were drawn into a really tough group but they're not a team of minnows.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Batsy2 Batsy2:
DanSC DanSC:

That's one of the reasons I refuse to watch or even care about the World Cup - it is stacked with European & South American teams and everywhere else gets short shrift.

It's also likely one of the reasons most North Americans aren't as passionate about the sport, as it's hard to support a sport if your team hardly ever plays in the tournament - I know that's why I don't give a damn about it.

Fair play I guess, same reason why majority of world doesn't really give a crap about American football either, baseball, ice hockey or curling for that matter :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:13 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Batsy2 Batsy2:
DanSC DanSC:

Also, despite its growth in NA, it's still perceived as a 'game' children play, rather than a sport.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 am

So apparently Soccer Canada is preparing a bid to replace Qatar as hosts if the corruption thing gathers enough steam to result in the results of that vote being overturned.

I know that most recent article and studies have shown that these major sporting events don't really seem to have economic spin-offs they promise, but still, How fricken cool would that be?

Toronto would get the final of course, because centre of the universe, but I'm sure Edmonton, with our history of successful major sporting events, would get a good number of games.

Despite the costs I kinda hope this happens. I think it would be a lot of fun, and if Denmark was to make the finals that year and play some games here I think my dad would cry.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:48 am

Do you have an NASL team in Edmonton? We do in Vancouver. No way the little village of Edmonton should get games ahead of Vancouver.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 am

But there is a nice stadium in Edmonton. But yeah, a crappy nasl team. Vancouver has the MLS team.

And if Qatar gets stripped of the 2022 WC it should go to England.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:05 pm

xerxes xerxes:
The US team has gotten a lot better in the last decade. The population base is there in the US to consistently have WC capable squads. The US unlucky this time as they were drawn into a really tough group but they're not a team of minnows.

I'm an England fan myself, but hoping for the US as well.