CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 718
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:06 pm
 


I just read this article on cbc.ca, and it made me wonder...

Statistics are a tricky thing and can be misleading. It seems that Kingston police are 3.7x more likely to pull you over if you are black (vs white) and 1.4x more likely to do same if you are aboriginal.

Here is where it could be misleading.

If police arrest 5 people for auto theft on a single night, and 4 of the perps are black, the statistic is that 80% of the people they arrested that night were black.

Is the same scenario happening in the article, or do you believe it is truly racial profiling?

As a second question, if a high percentage of crimes were committed in a certain neighborhood, and you add police presence to deal with it, are you neighborhood profiling?

m


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 582
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:21 pm
 


Mukluk wrote:
I just read this article on cbc.ca, and it made me wonder...

Statistics are a tricky thing and can be misleading. It seems that Kingston police are 3.7x more likely to pull you over if you are black (vs white) and 1.4x more likely to do same if you are aboriginal.

Here is where it could be misleading.

If police arrest 5 people for auto theft on a single night, and 4 of the perps are black, the statistic is that 80% of the people they arrested that night were black.

Is the same scenario happening in the article, or do you believe it is truly racial profiling?

As a second question, if a high percentage of crimes were committed in a certain neighborhood, and you add police presence to deal with it, are you neighborhood profiling?

m


What is wrong with profiling? I think it makes sense.. Profiling is based on stats.. if the stats lean in a certain direction then you move in that direction to compensate.. its all about balance. The problem I have with it is that people of different ethnic backgrounds or colours are not dealt with equally.. sure.. pull them over, but don't treat blacks, whites or any other 'colour' any differently.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63685
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:30 pm
 


Racial profiling makes perfectly logical good sense.

The opposite of it is ludicrous.

Here in the USA where we are in a lockdown state because of Islamic terrorism primarily carried out by Saudi Arabian males who are clean-shaven and in the age group 17-35 who gets searched at the airports in the largest numbers?

That's right: elderly Caucasians.

If your local ethnic minority tolerates assholes amongst them who break the law the way most people breathe then they should anticipate the cops looking at their every move.

Here's my message that evry law-abiding member of a targeted ethnic minority should tell the brigands amongst them:

(* and I quote from Jim Carrey)


[B]STOP BREAKING THE LAW, ASSHOLE!!!


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:47 pm
 


PeterFinn wrote:
If your local ethnic minority tolerates assholes amongst them who break the law the way most people breathe then they should anticipate the cops looking at their every move.

Here's my message that evry law-abiding member of a targeted ethnic minority should tell the brigands amongst them:

(* and I quote from Jim Carrey)


[B]STOP BREAKING THE LAW, ASSHOLE!!!


Hear hear!

Blaming the "white devils" for the fact that you can't act like an upstanding citizen is reprehensible.

We need more Bill Cosbys and fewer Al Sharptons.


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 718
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:06 pm
 


truecdneh wrote:
What is wrong with profiling? I think it makes sense.. Profiling is based on stats.. if the stats lean in a certain direction then you move in that direction to compensate.. its all about balance. The problem I have with it is that people of different ethnic backgrounds or colours are not dealt with equally.. sure.. pull them over, but don't treat blacks, whites or any other 'colour' any differently.


I am confused by your response. You say profiling is ok, then you say it is not ok to deal with people of different ethnic backgrounds differently.

That's what profiling is, bro. So which is it? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

m


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 10906
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:31 pm
 


Mukluk wrote:
truecdneh wrote:
What is wrong with profiling? I think it makes sense.. Profiling is based on stats.. if the stats lean in a certain direction then you move in that direction to compensate.. its all about balance. The problem I have with it is that people of different ethnic backgrounds or colours are not dealt with equally.. sure.. pull them over, but don't treat blacks, whites or any other 'colour' any differently.


I am confused by your response. You say profiling is ok, then you say it is not ok to deal with people of different ethnic backgrounds differently.

That's what profiling is, bro. So which is it? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

m


profiling is ok, as long as it's not against the white guy.


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 522
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:58 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Racial profiling makes perfectly logical good sense.

The opposite of it is ludicrous.

Here in the USA where we are in a lockdown state because of Islamic terrorism primarily carried out by Saudi Arabian males who are clean-shaven and in the age group 17-35 who gets searched at the airports in the largest numbers?

That's right: elderly Caucasians.

If your local ethnic minority tolerates assholes amongst them who break the law the way most people breathe then they should anticipate the cops looking at their every move.

Here's my message that evry law-abiding member of a targeted ethnic minority should tell the brigands amongst them:

(* and I quote from Jim Carrey)


[B]STOP BREAKING THE LAW, ASSHOLE!!!


Image

;)
Alrighty then


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14087
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:12 pm
 


Ethnic/gender/[any other characteristic] stereotyping is required, and perfectly reasonable. People choose to be offended, but they shouldn't be. As long as the reasons for caution are reasonable, you should feel secure in knowing that caution is being taken.

Should I be offended by the fact that I'm made to wear a seatbelt because, statistically, people who drive cars get in car accidents? Are those pricks calling me a bad driver? It's because I drive a car, isn't it?

If you get pulled over by the police, or have your bags checked, or get IDed at the liquor store, as long as you are treated fairly, you should have no complaints. Granted, there exist racist police officers, etc, intentional or not, but nothing in this world is perfect. Just feel safe in the fact that they pull some people over, and thankful that they don't pull everyone over all the time!


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63685
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:20 pm
 


blue_nose wrote:
Just feel safe in the fact that they pull some people over, and thankful that they don't pull everyone over all the time!


The main body of your post was well said. This part reminds me of an old joke...

A man gets pulled over by a police officer.

Cop: Do you know how fast you were going, sir?

Man: Yes, but there were a lot of people going exactly the same speed as me. Why did you pull me over?

Cop: Have you ever gone fishing?

Man: Yes. But what's fishing have to do with this?

Cop: Were you trying to catch them all?

:)


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3268
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:56 pm
 


BartSimpson wrote:
blue_nose wrote:
Just feel safe in the fact that they pull some people over, and thankful that they don't pull everyone over all the time!


The main body of your post was well said. This part reminds me of an old joke...

A man gets pulled over by a police officer.

Cop: Do you know how fast you were going, sir?

Man: Yes, but there were a lot of people going exactly the same speed as me. Why did you pull me over?

Cop: Have you ever gone fishing?

Man: Yes. But what's fishing have to do with this?

Cop: Were you trying to catch them all?

:)
[BB]

PDT_Armataz_01_37 ROTFL


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:17 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
If your local ethnic minority tolerates assholes amongst them who break the law the way most people breathe then they should anticipate the cops looking at their every move.

{snip}

[B]STOP BREAKING THE LAW, ASSHOLE!!!


I've got news for you, "asshole," despite what you may believe, these "leaders of the black community" are not elected officials. There is no big church basement or gymnasium somewhere where all the black folks get together and decide that Rev Al or Jesse are going to speak for us. The media like them because they'll say something controversial, and that'll make people tune in. The End.

And I was in Kingston with a (now-)ex of mine (he's white, I'm black), and we played, "spot the black people" over the course of a long weekend. Where the fuck are the Kingston police finding all these black people to stop? I believe that we saw three others (not counting me). The town couldn't get any whiter, and I am not talking about the architecture (which, ironically, happens to be very white).

I don't know if you saw that little documentary from a couple of years ago where they had an average black man (not all "thugged up" or what have you) drive around the streets of Toronto in I think it was a Lincoln but don't quote me on that. Following behind him was a van with a camera. He got pulled over by the cops FIVE TIMES in under three hours.

Tell me again how cool racial profiling is.

Asshole.


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:23 am
 


blue_nose wrote:
Ethnic/gender/[any other characteristic] stereotyping is required, and perfectly reasonable. People choose to be offended, but they shouldn't be. As long as the reasons for caution are reasonable, you should feel secure in knowing that caution is being taken.


Maybe when they start coming to your neighbourhood and going trailer to trailer you'll feel differently.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14087
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:42 am
 


So if the cops happened to pull someone over that had stolen you car, you probably wouldn't be complaining so much.

If there is a significant pattern in criminal occurances, why shouldn't the cops use this information?

A large scale drug dealer (not black) walked into a car dealership and bought a Corvette with a briefcase of cash. The cops found out and went to his house and busted his operation. Guess how many people complained that a Nova Scotian with enough cash to buy a Corvette was deamed suspicious by the police? NOT MANY.

As long as the cops in that show simply stopped the man, found out he was legit, and moved on, I can't see how you can complain. I would assume that he was pulled over by five different officers, which just means he came across five officers who each found him suspicious. Again, as long as they're fair to the person, what's the harm?


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:49 am
 


blue_nose wrote:
So if the cops happened to pull someone over that had stolen you car, you probably wouldn't be complaining so much.


Well, that's true. All black people in "expensive" cars must have stolen them.

Considering you find this acceptable, nothing else you say seems to be of much consequence. I hope your home doesn't blow away in the next hurricane.

blue_nose wrote:
If there is a significant pattern in criminal occurances, why shouldn't the cops use this information?

A large scale drug dealer (not black) walked into a car dealership and bought a Corvette with a briefcase of cash. The cops found out and went to his house and busted his operation. Guess how many people complained that a Nova Scotian with enough cash to buy a Corvette was deamed suspicious by the police? NOT MANY.

As long as the cops in that show simply stopped the man, found out he was legit, and moved on, I can't see how you can complain. I would assume that he was pulled over by five different officers, which just means he came across five officers who each found him suspicious. Again, as long as they're fair to the person, what's the harm?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14087
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:54 am
 


Quote:
Maybe when they start coming to your neighbourhood and going trailer to trailer you'll feel differently.


Your clever implication that I live in a trailer park is perhaps based on the fact that I don't sympathize with every accusation of racism (I do, in fact, recognise many cases of unfair racism in the world). I don't live in a trailer, though, and I do know some very nice people that would be offended that you associate racism with residents of mobile homes.

The old cliche 'Practice what you preach' popped into my head just now for some reason...


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  1  2  3  4  5 ... 34  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.