bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:41 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... kdown.html

It used to be that teachers were responsible for what went on in the schools and parents raised their children the rest of the time. The principal as an adult and an authority figure has a right to express his views, and we all should take a role in expressing to kids what is acceptable behaviour However, it's time parents started behaving as parents and played a larger role in bat rastards lives....discipline is an integral part of that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/11/30/mb-gimli-high-school-party-crackdown.html

It used to be that teachers were responsible for what went on in the schools and parents raised their children the rest of the time. The principal as an adult and an authority figure has a right to express his views, and we all should take a role in expressing to kids what is acceptable behaviour However, it's time parents started behaving as parents and played a larger role in bat rastards lives....discipline is an integral part of that.

You know as well as I that once a kid hits a certain age, short of gun taping him to a chair, there's little you can do to curb activities save for trying to educate them.

Kids will be stupid no matter how much you try to prevent it. (Been there done that)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:55 am

Gotta agree with you, but living in smallish communities schools, principals and teachers are called all the time to "DO SOMETHING" about something or other. It's not right, but it's the reality of education. Parents don't even make lunch anymore.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
Gotta agree with you, but living in smallish communities schools, principals and teachers are called all the time to "DO SOMETHING" about something or other. It's not right, but it's the reality of education. Parents don't even make lunch anymore.

Well that's alright to a degree - you know the whole community raising a kid thing. I understand calling the principle in the sense that they may have more education and training as well as insight.

Still, for those small towns, an arrest or two might be a great deterrent as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:25 am

And so kids shall learn to have even more secretive parties, more underground and more unpredictable.

Interested to see what happens with this. But I do know one thing that will happen:
The kids will party, one way or another.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:20 am

The question at the end - "Should schools crack down on students' after-school parties?" - completely misses the point. Schools have no ability to do that.

They do, however, have the ability and the obligation to open discussion and promote education about a community problem that involves students, no matter when during the week it takes place.

Maybe the police need to be more vigilant. Maybe laissez-faire parents have to be brought to task. Maybe the kids could benefit from more options. Who knows? But the schools are absolutely right to turn a spotlight on the problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes, shed some light on the problem, but realize that parents and the police are the only ones who have the power to really do something. Unless Little TwoBits and his home boys not be doin their assignments(white kids and Chinese kids trying to do gangsta is just so funny) or their grades are suffering due to excess partying...wait that should be university..they really can't do anything, other than suggest to parents they grow a pair. Most cops, having done it themselves as kids usually turn a blind eye to the entire thing. Part of growing up. We use to do bush parties in high school pretty well every weekend. House parties were usually for the dead of winter, and you had to be careful they didn't turn into house wreckers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Wait, so informing (the) parents about what their children might do on weekends when they are "hanging out with their friends", is cracking down on weekend parties?

Educating the kids about alcohol and drug use is seen as the same, I take it?

It is done here on a regular basis, info about drugs and drinking is in the school newsletter, there are tips for parents about what to watch for.

It is a topic of discussion in my household on a regular basis. Communication is key.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 pm

The parents do need to be the one to level with their kids.

No one gives a shit about assemblies or what they say.

It's all a big joke.

"Don,t do drugs? Now I kinda want to do all of them!"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 pm

I think you missed the "information session for parents" on Wednesday night, followed by the assembly at school on Thursday.

You think if kids don't listen to teachers or hospital personnel coming over to talk about it, that those kids will listen to their parents?

I guess we should just do nothing and let them figure it out themselves, right? Collateral damage, oh well, who cares :roll:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:51 pm

They tried to crack down on parties in our college neighborhood here in Milwaukee. Didn't change anything, I feel if anything it was just to obtain some extra revenue...like how they will give parking tickets at 5 mins before the time limit, knowing that college students won't have the time to go fight it.

I understand the safety aspect, I mean the college is within half a mile from the worst crime area in the state. But most students know to not have a party, and to let random people inside.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/39-a ... 53136.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Brenda Brenda:
I think you missed the "information session for parents" on Wednesday night, followed by the assembly at school on Thursday.

You think if kids don't listen to teachers or hospital personnel coming over to talk about it, that those kids will listen to their parents?

I guess we should just do nothing and let them figure it out themselves, right? Collateral damage, oh well, who cares :roll:

Just a personal experieince here, but my relationship with my family has always made me very respectful of my mother's messages.

The reason I don't drink every night or snort coke isn't because some cop came down with a dog and a suit case of little baggies filled with flour to put the fear into me. It's because I listened to my mother.

Kids are shitheads. The most likely person they'll listen to is the one they're close to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Brenda Brenda:

Just a personal experieince here, but my relationship with my family has always made me very respectful of my mother's messages.

The reason I don't drink every night or snort coke isn't because some cop came down with a dog and a suit case of little baggies filled with flour to put the fear into me. It's because I listened to my mother.

Kids are shitheads. The most likely person they'll listen to is the one they're close to.

I never listened to my mother. What did she know?
So, I guess your personal experience takes away mine. Which puts us straight back to where we were. At 0.

I say EVERYTHING helps. If you can change one kids mind, either by informing the parents at an information session so they can talk to their kids, or by an ER nurse/doctor, who speaks at an assembly about how he lost another OD-ed 14 year-old, I'd say it was a good evening/day.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Party 'til you puke. My year sucked so when I get back home I'm taking up drinkin' again. You people are in for a treat because, yes, I plan to drunk-post. And I'm taking over the karaoke machine too. Get ready because the countdown to BOO-YAH! begins right here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 pm

you've been posting sober?? [?]