CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:35 am

0:
work.jpg
work.jpg [ 75.5 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.2610095

There's nothing wrong with working while going to school. In fact it would likely be a good idea to make more degrees, especially professional degrees, co-op programs where students can gain some practical experience in the field they are entering.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 am

Absolutely. Whish they had it when I was an undergrad, was brought in just as I was finishing. But these days, those would all be unpaid internships (I've done that too, but it was a requirement for the program, so budgeted in), so not much help for paying for school. As an undergrad I found it easy to earn my year's living expenses working in logging camps over the summer. $2.50 a day cost for room and board and earn the big bucks with overtime, and you come out with a good wad of cash. I don't think that's really possible anymore.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
0:
work.jpg

There's nothing wrong with working while going to school. In fact it would likely be a good idea to make more degrees, especially professional degrees, co-op programs where students can gain some practical experience in the field they are entering.

Cetainly not - but even working as I did, I still needed a loan to pay for the full costs of university, which exploded after 1993/94 in Alberta. The only people I know who graduated debt free were the ones with scholarships up the wazoo or those who had well-paying co-op jobs (which was a crap shoot too - some guys got awesome pay and others got a few bucks over minimum wage).

Because I had almost $20k student loan debt to pay, I didn't buy a condo until eight years after I graduated in 1999. That's not a bad thing, but that delay to the housing market wound up costing me tens of thousands of dollars as housing prices in Alberta shot through the roof in the early 2000s. I couldn't afford a new car until about then either.

Those same factors affect thousands of students today - and that has detrimental effects on our economy as people delay big ticket purchases due to ballooning student loan debt.

But the Boomers want their tax cuts so...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 am

I blame Flaherty.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 am

andyt andyt:
I blame Flaherty.

Gee, I'm surprised you aren't taking this chance to whine and bitch about the
minimum wage... again.

Meh, I'll give it 5 minutes. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 am

andyt andyt:
I blame Flaherty.

You're wrong to do so, for two reasons.

The first is that post-secondary education falls under the provinces and the majority of funding comes directly from provincial coffers.

The other is that the cuts started back in the 90s, as such any federal cuts would have been courtesy of Chretien...and Ralph Klein here in Alberta.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
0:
work.jpg

Cetainly not - but even working as I did, I still needed a loan to pay for the full costs of university, which exploded after 1993/94 in Alberta. The only people I know who graduated debt free were the ones with scholarships up the wazoo or those who had well-paying co-op jobs (which was a crap shoot too - some guys got awesome pay and others got a few bucks over minimum wage).

Because I had almost $20k student loan debt to pay, I didn't buy a condo until eight years after I graduated in 1999. That's not a bad thing, but that delay to the housing market wound up costing me tens of thousands of dollars as housing prices in Alberta shot through the roof in the early 2000s. I couldn't afford a new car until about then either.

Those same factors affect thousands of students today - and that has detrimental effects on our economy as people delay big ticket purchases due to ballooning student loan debt.

A Uni student being 'saddled' with $20,000 debt which they willingly & knowingly incurred on their journey to the pot-o-gold at the end of the rainbow is no different than my own (and many others) choice to bypass post secondary education and jump right into the workforce, taking entry level jobs and doing whatever lowpaying labor jobs I could get which I was sure would lead to my own pot-o-gold. In the end, it took me 10 years to get my 'masters degree' as well. All the while incurring debt & raising a family which I willingly & knowingly incurred!
Using your logic that the delay in your ability to purchase a home due to having to pay for your post secondary education cost you "tens of thousands oof dollars" then so too it has cost me (us)that much or more for the exact same reason! Or because more recently I chose to play the wrong numbers in Lotto Max my choice cost me over 50 million dollars!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 am

Yogi Yogi:
bootlegga bootlegga:

A Uni student being 'saddled' with $20,000 debt which they willingly & knowingly incurred on their journey to the pot-o-gold at the end of the rainbow is no different than my own (and many others) choice to bypass post secondary education and jump right into the workforce, taking entry level jobs and doing whatever lowpaying labor jobs I could get which I was sure would lead to my own pot-o-gold. In the end, it took me 10 years to get my 'masters degree' as well. All the while incurring debt & raising a family which I willingly & knowingly incurred!
Using your logic that the delay in your ability to purchase a home due to having to pay for your post secondary education cost you "tens of thousands oof dollars" then so too it has cost me (us)that much or more for the exact same reason! Or because more recently I chose to play the wrong numbers in Lotto Max my choice cost me over 50 million dollars!

I didn't have a problem paying for my education - it was a long term investment and I'm okay with that aspect of it.

I simply noted that that the Boomers paid 10% (if that) of their education and I paid 25%.

Yes, live isn't fair and all that, but industry and government shouldn't complain that kids these days aren't buying big ticket items after graduation like they used to. The fact is they simply can't afford to - even if they wanted to.

Banks won't lend you a penny if your debt/income ration is near/at 40%, irregardless of where that debt comes from.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

I simply noted that that the Boomers paid 10% (if that) of their education and I paid 25%.

You didn't note that at all.

You complained how much you had to pay for school and that boomers want tax cuts.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:41 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Yogi Yogi:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I didn't have a problem paying for my education - it was a long term investment and I'm okay with that aspect of it.

Yes, live isn't fair and all that, but industry and government shouldn't complain that kids these days aren't buying big ticket items after graduation like they used to. The fact is they simply can't afford to - even if they wanted to.

Banks won't lend you a penny if your debt/income ration is near/at 40%, irregardless of where that debt comes from.

Costs are relative to the times. At the time I was raising a family and 'getting my education' in my chosen field I was being paid a little more than 'entry level wages'. I was making $6.00 per hour. Banks wouldn't lend me any money either!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 am

For most people paying more for education isn't going to amke a whole lot of difference. Most folks at UNiversity come from university-educated families who have the wherewithal to support their kids. The loss is going to be in those deserving kids from more challenged socio-eocnomic backgrounds.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 am

Yogi Yogi:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Costs are relative to the times. At the time I was raising a family and 'getting my education' in my chosen field I was being paid a little more than 'entry level wages'. I was making $6.00 per hour. Banks wouldn't lend me any money either!

Yep, costs are relative - what isn't is the percentage people pay for their education.

Up until the mid 90s, students paid about 10% of the cost of university - now it is almost three times that. Has minimum wage in Alberta tripled? Nope, in fact it hasn't even doubled (Now just over $10/ hour when it was $6 in the early 90s)

Last edited by bootlegga on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:25 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:

You didn't note that at all.

You complained how much you had to pay for school and that boomers want tax cuts.

Fair enough, I didn't say it this time, but I have said it MANY times in the many other threads on this topic.