CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 41530
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 am
 


In the military the term stand down means to cease fire, to put down your guns, and to take some time to relax.

I'm thinking we need such a time on this board.

Not to say I haven't been tossing a few grenades here and there because I have.

But someone has to go first, right?

So here I am and here's what I'm promising:

For today and tomorrow I promise not to make any personal insults at anyone. I promise not to insult anyone by sarcasm or inuendo.

Regardless of what is posted to me or about me between now and 5pm PST tomorrow I will pledge not to respond in kind.

If we can restore a civil tone on this board and keep it then I'm happy to keep at this after Monday, as well.

Anyone else?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18182
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 am
 


Fair enough.

IMHO, I've debated rather politely recently and don't think I've insulted anyone, but if I have, my apologies.

I agree that a cool down would probably be a good idea in general.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 22812

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 am
 


Nah, these efforts don't go anywhere. What happens is the board blows up a bit, and then people stand down a bit naturally until the next time. Certainly we'll never have many women participate here when it goes like this. But, I drop in on another forum that's much more heavily moderated. The insults are just more veiled, still not many women on it, and it just feels, I dunno, "straightjacketed."

Best thing to do is just worry about your own behavior, how comfortable are you with it? Seems to me that some of the previous shitslingers (And I"m not talking about Gunnair) have toned things down recently. Partly I think it's that we all have topics that get us riled up. Maybe it's better to say what you really think, then move on to another topic where things are more peaceful. The other thing people can take a lesson from you Bart, is that even if you've just had a shit slinging session with somebody, if you agree with the person on another topic you will say so, not take a contrary view or throw shit just because you can't let go. That, as I've said before, I give you respect for.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23733
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 am
 


andyt wrote:
Nah, these efforts don't go anywhere. What happens is the board blows up a bit, and then people stand down a bit naturally until the next time. Certainly we'll never have many women participate here when it goes like this. But, I drop in on another forum that's much more heavily moderated. The insults are just more veiled, still not many women on it, and it just feels, I dunno, "straightjacketed."

Best thing to do is just worry about your own behavior, how comfortable are you with it? Seems to me that some of the previous shitslingers (And I"m not talking about Gunnair) have toned things down recently. Partly I think it's that we all have topics that get us riled up. Maybe it's better to say what you really think, then move on to another topic where things are more peaceful. The other thing people can take a lesson from you Bart, is that even if you've just had a shit slinging session with somebody, if you agree with the person on another topic you will say so, not take a contrary view or throw shit just because you can't let go. That, as I've said before, I give you respect for.


Huh...well I have toned down due to my wager with OTI. Whether you think so or not though is mostly irrelevant but he and I have been able to have polite debates even on the more emotive topics.

You might want to consider joining us.

As an aside, in order for me to enjoy the forums more, I've just started adding to the ignore list. I come here mostly for fun and some serious discussions. The emotive baiting and extremist nonsense that some partake in is something I've decided to be done with lest I just get tired and say fuck it to the whole thing.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 22812

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 am
 


Well, we'll see. I'm thinking you won't keep it up, but who knows. As I said, I wasn't talking about you anyway.

I notice neither Bart nor I are on your ignore list. I don't put people on ignore, if I don't want to respond to what they say I don't. Very simple.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23733
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 am
 


andyt wrote:
Well, we'll see. I'm thinking you won't keep it up, but who knows. As I said, I wasn't talking about you anyway.

I notice neither Bart nor I are on your ignore list. I don't put people on ignore, if I don't want to respond to what they say I don't. Very simple.


Actually, the ignore list allows me to read a post if I wish, but it cuts out all and it's not for responses, and for control the amount of shit I have to wade through on a given thread.

So you don't know if you've made the list or not.

Not that it matters. The list is for me and not anyone else.

I note you have no interest in joining OTI, Bodah and I. Understood. Not everyone can do it.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18182
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am
 


Gunnair wrote:
Huh...well I have toned down due to my wager with OTI.


Speaking of wagers - didn't Bart bet Lemmy $100 donation to CKA that Romney would win the election? :D


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21286
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 am
 


Fuck off, Bart! :evil:






:lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28497
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 am
 


I refuse. I will not be friendly unless I get a warning. :D


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23733
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
Gunnair wrote:
Huh...well I have toned down due to my wager with OTI.


Speaking of wagers - didn't Bart bet Lemmy $100 donation to CKA that Romney would win the election? :D


Yep.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28497
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am
 


Pssst! Hey Gunnair? Can you see me??
This is a test of your ignore system.
:)


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 41530
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
Gunnair wrote:
Huh...well I have toned down due to my wager with OTI.


Speaking of wagers - didn't Bart bet Lemmy $100 donation to CKA that Romney would win the election? :D


Yep. And I'm waiting to hear back on what's up with the donation page on CKA before I send anything. I don't want to send $100 to Trevor just to have it go down some rathole for PayPal.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7792
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am
 


andyt wrote:
Nah, these efforts don't go anywhere. What happens is the board blows up a bit, and then people stand down a bit naturally until the next time. Certainly we'll never have many women participate here when it goes like this. But, I drop in on another forum that's much more heavily moderated. The insults are just more veiled, still not many women on it, and it just feels, I dunno, "straightjacketed."

Best thing to do is just worry about your own behavior, how comfortable are you with it? Seems to me that some of the previous shitslingers (And I"m not talking about Gunnair) have toned things down recently. Partly I think it's that we all have topics that get us riled up. Maybe it's better to say what you really think, then move on to another topic where things are more peaceful. The other thing people can take a lesson from you Bart, is that even if you've just had a shit slinging session with somebody, if you agree with the person on another topic you will say so, not take a contrary view or throw shit just because you can't let go. That, as I've said before, I give you respect for.

Interesting that you bring up participation by women. I think the main reason for lack of participation by women on here is because the fact is, there are very few female members compared to male members.

Personally, I stay out of a lot of threads because I know just how pig-headed some people around here are. One-track minds, no acknowledgement of there being any other way but "their" way. For me, participation on some threads is a complete waste of my time and energy, because regardless of what I have to say, I will be labelled as "wrong" by one of those who feel it is their duty to control the board and dictate what is "right", and have someone analyze to a ridiculous degree as to why. I see this time and time again between people around here. Before you know it, the thread is derailed and takes a whole new direction and becomes a shitfest of insults. THAT is one of the biggest beefs I have with this forum. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours does not necessarily make them wrong. Maybe, just maybe, you are wrong. But does it really matter? Does there have to be a right and wrong on every damn subject? Can some people not take their blinders off, or at least adjust them just a little bit, to open up their field of vision to see things from a different angle?

At the very least try to accept that not everyone thinks the same way that you do and just let it go at that. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same about everything.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28497
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am
 


Stay Calm and realize that even if you changed everyone's mind and we all had it figured out your way, it wouldn't change anything in the real world.

Silly smart peeps. XD

[door]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 22812

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 am
 


Strutz wrote:
Interesting that you bring up participation by women. I think the main reason for lack of participation by women on here is because the fact is, there are very few female members compared to male members.

Personally, I stay out of a lot of threads because I know just how pig-headed some people around here are. One-track minds, no acknowledgement of there being any other way but "their" way. For me, participation on some threads is a complete waste of my time and energy, because regardless of what I have to say, I will be labelled as "wrong" by one of those who feel it is their duty to control the board and dictate what is "right", and have someone analyze to a ridiculous degree as to why. I see this time and time again between people around here. Before you know it, the thread is derailed and takes a whole new direction and becomes a shitfest of insults. THAT is one of the biggest beefs I have with this forum. Just because someone has a different opinion than yours does not necessarily make them wrong. Maybe, just maybe, you are wrong. But does it really matter? Does there have to be a right and wrong on every damn subject? Can some people not take their blinders off, or at least adjust them just a little bit, to open up their field of vision to see things from a different angle?

At the very least try to accept that not everyone thinks the same way that you do and just let it go at that. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same about everything.


You just don't get men, do you? Yes, somebody has to be wrong, damn it! :D But if you want to invite a bunch of your women friends here to kiss and make up all the time, that would be great, as long as we can watch. :D

Forums like this always seem to attract more men. Men just love to argue more for the sake of arguing, I think, and also CKA forum gets gamers from the game section - again more likely to be men. I've never seen a general discussion forum that's 50/50 men women, but then I haven't seen many. It would be interesting to participate on such a board, as long as it had plenty of women like Brenda who weren't afraid to express their opinion, weren't always worried about offending any one.

I'm sure this board will evolve over time. But for anybody that really wants to have intelligent debate with no insults, there's the LXD forum - doesn't seem to get used much.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  1  2  3  4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.