GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 am

[B-o]

The future looks a little brighter because of this young man

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 am

I can understand his frustration. My biology teacher in Gr.9 had her own version of "packets". You'd come in every class and 6 chalkboards would be FULL of notes we had to copy down. The teacher would yap for about 5 minutes than set us to copying what was on all 6 boards. Except for any labs we did, I don't recall any actual teaching going on in that classroom.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

My Gr.12 English teacher was really into literature and oral language traditions. I remember him reading a few pages of Beowulf in the original Old English. He didn't just read it, he told it like a story teller of yore

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 am

Copying notes from a blackboard is a stupid way to teach... just give everybody a copy of the written notes. Then you have a group discussion and answer questions from the class, making sure everybody understands. Students can complement their notes during the class.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

raydan wrote:
Copying notes from a blackboard is a stupid way to teach... just give everybody a copy of the written notes. Then you have a group discussion and answer questions from the class, making sure everybody understands. Students can complement their notes during the class.

Yeah, she was a hack. OTOH, my History teacher all through high school is the reason I took History all through high school. Best teacher ever!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
raydan wrote:

Yeah, she was a hack. OTOH, my History teacher all through high school is the reason I took History all through high school. Best teacher ever!

Strange but I had the same experience with my History teacher and also my English teacher. Both of them were great guys but the other teachers not so much, especially the Biology teacher who put the girls in the front rows of those high 2 person desks with stools and then kept dropping his chalk.

People complained about him for years yet nothing was done and he finally retired fully pensioned when he probably should have been put in jail. :roll:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm

That kid is awesome. That was a great rant, and I know I've been in classes where the teacher could not give two shits about what was being taught.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:33 pm

raydan wrote:

Actually there is a lot of research that indicates that writing notes, and then re-writing them later, after class on that same day, is the best way to retain information. Of course, each person learns a little bit differently, but taking notes is definitely preferred to just reading that information from a handout.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Lemmy wrote:
raydan wrote:

Actually there is a lot of research that indicates that writing notes, and then re-writing them later, after class on that same day, is the best way to retain information. Of course, each person learns a little bit differently, but taking notes is definitely preferred to just reading that information from a handout.

People have different styles:

Visual, they look and they can understand.

Audio, learning by listening and not just looking at written notes.
Remember the kid who needed to talk to himself while writing notes down ?

Kinetic, learn by the act of writing, or doing things to understand.

I am kinetic, if I dont write it myself, or put my hands on something,
I won't retain anything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:49 am

Awesome!

Grade 10 and 11 (2007-08 or so) I can remember just series upon series of booklets in my Social Studies classes. Usually had the year it was made (3-5 years earlier) written in the corner. Learnt (but scantly remember) pre-USSR Russian history that way, and the United States, and Canada (up to the mid 1990's, where our textbooks ended).

Alberta has two socials classes for Grade 12, "30-1" and "30-2". 30-2 is for the dumbasses who can't find Nova Scotia, and I ended up in that class. More booklets. That was also when I started smoking weed and dropped out for the first time... So I got 40% in the class (because I showed up once in awhile and did tests), but 90% or so on the final exam, boosting my grade to 65% and getting me into Social Studies 30-1 at another school. There were no more booklets in that class, and I instead spent most of the time having hilarious sparring matches with my conservative-but-amused teacher. Passed that class, then dropped out again mid Grade 12.

Wish Social Studies actually meant something in the "grand scheme of things" (resume building)

My English classes were less skilled but I also got into the higher English in Alberta, but maintained such a low mark that is was less of a hassle to take some essay test that made my English (and thus High School) marks redundant.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:30 am

raydan wrote:

I don't know about that - at the very least, any kid taking down notes has to read the material at least twice (first when he/she read it on the blackboard, then again when they write it down). If they review it later to do their homework, then they read the material three times in one day.

I used to think it was stupid, but on reflection, it is a great way for lazy kids to learn by osmosis.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 am

I know, I've never had much memory, but what I did do was ALWAYS copy the notes once at home. At school though, the teachers are there to teach, not sit down and watch the whole class copying what's on the blackboard. That's not teaching, any idiot could do that job.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 pm

bootlegga wrote:
raydan wrote:

I don't know about that - at the very least, any kid taking down notes has to read the material at least twice (first when he/she read it on the blackboard, then again when they write it down). If they review it later to do their homework, then they read the material three times in one day.

I used to think it was stupid, but on reflection, it is a great way for lazy kids to learn by osmosis.

For me it was the exact opposite, being dyslexic I was more worried about spelling each word correctly that I was not reading what I wrote but going letter by letter. I found it such a pain that I stopped taking notes and would just read what was on the chalk board and have a girl copy her work for me. The pay off for her was she got to cheat off my test paper. I would ace the tests. :P

I found that when a teacher engaged the students (me) in discussion about the subject I would learn a lot more and retain it. Note taking was just time wasted sense I never actualy learned the subject matter that way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Quote:
The future looks a little brighter because of this young man

Totally agree. Even more interestingly, the teacher has been placed on leave (with pay) and the kid isn't in any trouble at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
I can understand his frustration. My biology teacher in Gr.9 had her own version of "packets". You'd come in every class and 6 chalkboards would be FULL of notes we had to copy down. The teacher would yap for about 5 minutes than set us to copying what was on all 6 boards. Except for any labs we did, I don't recall any actual teaching going on in that classroom.

I had an English teacher in high school (1980 or so) did the same thing. Four chalk boards full of notes and we were supposed to spend the whole class time writing all that crap down. I'd pull out my 35mm camera, snap four pictures, and then do other homework. The teacher got tweaked because I wasn't writing the notes down and I said what was the difference so long as I got the notes, right?

Fortunately, a reasonable vice-pricipal saw it my way when I got tossed out of class for insubordination.

These days I imagine a kid could just snap a shot on their phone and be done with it.