Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Due to my bringing up a lot of inappropriate stuff (and thereby being a hypocrite by going off topic) in the "Fuck" thread, I'm starting a new thread for baby stuff.

Most of you know that my husband and I are expecting our first child on the 12 January 2008. I'm currently freaking out about preparing for said event.

Lily has suggested a few ideas on getting started with a newborn. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them!

If anyone else ends up expecting, feel free to post in this thread too, or even if you've got kids! Share experiences, funny stories and things like that. :)

The debate of the day: disposable nappies v cloth

You know, some people go on about cloth being more friendly to the environment, but I say, once you look at the extra water and electricity you use cleaning poopy diapers all the time, they even out at the end of the day.

I'll be using eco-friendly disposables for the first few months. It'll be too much of an adjustment trying to get used to a new baby without bringing in wrestling with the ins and outs of cloth diapering.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:19 pm

lily lily:
1. Baby swing (make sure it's quiet)
2. Exersaucer, or similar
3. a good mix of newborn-24 month clothes
4. Bunnykins set
5. Snugli/sling-type carrier
6. A good stroller you can steer with one hand... Peg Perego is one of the best brands
7. umbrella stroller (easily folded)
8. diaper bag with pockets
9. smaller bottle bag, perfect size for newborns
10. nursing nighties
11. glider/rocker for nursing, etc.
12. baby bath with sponge liner thing + shampoo, etc

and of course an infant car seat.

That is an awesome list Lily...

the first two are a must.
Bunnykins set , that is cute. My wife still has hers.
I had a Stroller made by Graco and it had monster wheels. THe bigger the wheels, the easier it is to go over gravel and trails. If was about to get a new one, I would get those 3-Wheel with the babyseat.
A comfortable glider/rocker is also on top of my list, my son was coliquee and I spent countless hours rocking him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:21 pm

For the first 3 weeks..... Disposable, you can re-assess then if you have the time and energy to wash them. Unless you have a diaper service in your area.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:23 pm

I've been trying to find a diaper service here, but no such like. They ARE a bit behind the times here in the UK ;)

Not only that, but we don't have a dryer, and I'm not having nappies hanging all over the place drying all the time. I miss tumble dryers :(

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 pm

I've been looking at the three wheelers as well, but see my last post in the Fuck thread :lol:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Copy and pasted from the Fuck thread:

I've got my bunnykins set too! In my chest in the bedroom actually. My mom has shipped over my dad's baby stuff (rattles and clothes and things)...all family heirlooms. I'm really anxious that it doesn't get lost in the post :/ She also sent my baby book too.

I think I might hold off on the stroller for a few months. We live on the top floor of our building (3 floors, no elevator) and I'm absolutely dreading hauling a stroller up and down... we really want to move into a house but...

FUCK PROPERTY PRICES OVER HERE. :/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:32 pm

lily lily:
Oh... I still have my Bunnykins set too. They last forever and can be handed down - that's why I put it on the list. :D

Plus they are very durable, my wife used it all the time, and my daughter is now using it, almost daily.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm not sure what stuff my mom has sent, I just know there was a silver rattle set, his first outfit that my grandma made (out of cotton flannel with a velvet bunny sewed onto it...VERY cute), his christening gown...I don't know what else she has included, but I'll keep the lead point in mind!

I'll also think about the stroller. I'm not sure where we'd use it to be honest...I fancy the slings much more than the stroller.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:42 pm

If I get it in time, yeah!! At this rate, I'll not have it before Christmas ;)

I really can't wait for this gender scan in October. It's the 3D one too :D

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:56 pm

12 January 2008. (It's in the first post on this thread ;))

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Yes! It is giving my husband a headache though because most of his family have their birthdays in January, and my dad and I share our birthday on 1 FEbruary, so it's a big month for birthdays...too many to remember :lol:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:17 pm

Gosh. Better not. It would be like...3 weeks overdue by that point! lmao

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Well congrats dimoreien! My son, and first baby, is almost 11 months old now and the whole experience has be the coolest experience I've ever had.

And if I could expand on lily's list....

1. Baby swing (make sure it's quiet)
...and make sure the seat reclines enough so the baby's head doesn't roll forward if they fall alseep. The one we had just barely reclined enough.

2. Exersaucer, or similar
...this won't be needed until they are about 4 months old. Once they get into it they love it though.

3. a good mix of newborn-24 month clothes
...I'm not sure what kind of thrift shops you got over there but around here we have the Value Village(used stuff donated to raise money for diabetes, tons of clothes). Babies grow out of stuff fast so these stores will have lots of stufff that looks brand new for a fraction of the price of new. And family and friends who have recently had babies are a good source for clothes. We had friends give us bags of stuff, some they don't want back so the clothes will be passed on once we are done with them

Don't trust the size on the labels on new or used clothes. The size is given by age but all clothes are different...it really depends on your baby's size what 'size' they need, not their age and not just because your baby fits well in something marked a certain age. Another item of clothing marked the same age may be a completely different size.

4. Bunnykins set
....Royal Dalton dishes for babies????

5. Snugli/sling-type carrier
....my wife and I discuss this but in the end we never got one. Looking back I don't see where we had much use for one. Maybe in the first couple months.

6. A good stroller you can steer with one hand... Peg Perego is one of the best brands
7. umbrella stroller (easily folded)
...we got an all terrain 3 wheeler with sun/rain hood and storage compartment which is great for walks and can be fully reclined. We also picked up a 'utility machine' as I call it, it folds up compact with no hood, recline or storage, but is good for quick, short trips in tight places like stores and turns on a dime. Your baby needs to be able to sit and hold there head up well for one of these.

8. diaper bag with pockets
9. smaller bottle bag, perfect size for newborns
...don't get anything too 'gay' that your husband might not want to carry

10. nursing nighties
...and bras with velcro'ed nipple covers, and nipple pads, I still laugh when I think about my wife's leaky nipples.

11. glider/rocker for nursing, etc.
...or a nice comfy arm chair that you can sit up straight in

12. baby bath with sponge liner thing + shampoo, etc
...a rubber ducky that can sense if the water is to hot before you plop the little one in.

and of course an infant car seat.
...our son was born in October so we got an infant carrier that could be easily removed from the mount that was strapped in the car. This saved us from having to stand out in the freezing cold of winter strapping and unstrapping our child into a car seat. Our son grew out of it by six months but he's a big kid. We had to buy a bigger seat that will last him until he's about 2 or 3 I think.

When it comes to buying alot of things it comes down to either their size or their level of development and not their age as all babies are different.

It's great to have everything you need before you need it but these babies need alot of stuff and if you are short on space then I wouldn't get the bigger items until you know you need them.

Disposables all the way!!!!!!! Don't get sucked into buying the pricey ones.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:53 am

Oh, i didn't even think of the leaky breasts. lmao

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 am

Congrats dimoreien!

dimoreien, the most important thing is YOU, besides the baby of course. YOU should rest when the baby sleeps, YOU should relax when you have a chance. When you seem not to see the light at the end of the tunnel with his crying then put down the baby and take a break.

Get a box of Cocyntal (Colic) Single-Use Oral Doses product. The same company also makes for tooth aches. Buy breast feeding pads by skids, you'll need it.

Good luck