Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:42 am

This is out of the blue, I know. But I'm curious, and there have got to be bigger Trekkies here than me.

What are the last events in the Star Trek canon? The events of Voyager take place in the 2370s or so, and there are lots of flash-forwards to a generation of Star Trek time travelers from perhaps a century further into the future from that. But are there any hints of what happens after that?

I ask because I have an idea for how they could create a new series and make it interesting again. but I want to see if it is remotely possible within the canon before I propose it and see if anyone likes the idea.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:45 am

Give it another 10-15 years, let a new generation discover it anew like Next Generation did when they brought it out.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 am

QBC: That gives me 10-15 years to write it, but no reassurances regarding canon.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 am

Well we know Romulus is gone. Voyager's final episode hinted at a victorious war against the Borg within 30 years. Sorry I don't have much more to go on then that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:08 am

It's been done, redone, re-redone and done again.

I loved Star-Trek but stopped watching with Voyager, nothing after that interested me. Let it die already... I'm sure there are other stories that could be told on-screen. The Death Gate Cycle comes to mind.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 am

The time travellers from ST: Enterprise took Jonathan Archer forward to the 27th century where the USS Enterprise -K was in battle against the Sphere-Builders that tried to destroy Earth. so the possibilities for Trek are still limitless. Voyager dealt a near-fatal blow to the Borg and DS9 beat the Dominion but both are the type of enemies that can recover and come back again. And there's always the alternative universe Terran Empire to deal with too, hopefully the much cooler one from Enterprise and not the campy one from DS9.

The JJ Abrams one isn't official canon. It's fun enough but I doubt (and hope) that it'll be tied into whatever TV series comes next. There seemed to be a lot of burn-out on Trek after Enterprise ended but another series is an inevitability within the next five to ten years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:21 am

It'd be interesting see if there ever is a new series if they'll tie it in with the jj Abrams rebooted ST universe. IMO Voyager was getting to easy with all it's high technology.

I'd say its all dependent on the writers. DS9 had great writers and that's what made it great and Voyager had crap writers which was why it sucked. And let's not get started on enterprise.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:26 am

From what Thanos has said, my idea won't work within the canon without some unpleasantly twisted logic. It'd probably be better if written outside of the franchise.

If it had survived that test, my next canon question would have regarded the nature of warp drive itself. But since it failed the first test, the second test is moot.

Anyway, my idea was to have warp technology fundamentally based on some specific trait of the universe, a gradually fading residue of the Big Bang that must exist at concentrations over some specific threshold in order for warp drive to operate. Sometime at the far-future limits of the federation, the ability of the universe to be traversed by warp drive fails, and it takes a couple of generations to restore faster-than-light-speed travel by other means. These broad, semi-galactic nations are fractured by the universal warp failure, and a new wave of Federation officers must reunite the societies of the world into a new Federation, striking the right balance between imitating the past and creating an utterly original future.

My greatest motivation with this idea is what xerxes said: the technology had made things too easy, and needed a new complication or limitation to make it relatable (and writable!). It also makes it quite reasonable to find some level of civilization in almost every star system, makes the Original Series (and Firefly) roughneck/cowboy style of doing things relevant again, and makes the politics of maintaining the Federation a topical concern in a way that wasn't true except sometimes in DS9.

Anyway, it seemed like a fun idea to me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am

Thanos wrote:
The JJ Abrams one isn't official canon.

Why not? It was fully authorized and it has also spawned a sequel (Star Trek: Into Darkness) that will be previewed when The Hobbit shows up on the big screen December 14th.

Myself, I like the idea that the new ST has erased almost all of the old canon by rebooting history. It breathes new life into the concept and it also opens up ST to a new generation of fans who don't have to immerse themselves in decades of masturbatory fan-boy obsession with canonical minutiae.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:11 am

I didn't hate the Abrams version, I just regarded it as an inconsequential bit of fluff. It's a decent COPY of Trek but it isn't real Trek, not to me anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am

Thanos wrote:
I didn't hate the Abrams version, I just regarded it as an inconsequential bit of fluff. It's a decent COPY of Trek but it isn't real Trek, not to me anyway.

Plenty of folks said the same thing about ST:TNG, ST:DS9, and ST:Voyager, too.

For the purists there is only ST:TOS and the movies with the original cast.

I'm not at all a purist and would rather just enjoy a good ST story without having to do research before seeing the bloody thing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:25 am

I'm not a purist either which should be apparent considering that I appear to be the only one here that liked Enterprise. Trek's like getting a handjob anway. Some are better than others but none of them are really all that bad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:27 am

Star Trek ended on June 3, 1969. Everything after that, including the moves are just Zombie Trek.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 am

Thanos wrote:
I'm not a purist either which should be apparent considering that I appear to be the only one here that liked Enterprise. Trek's like getting a handjob anway. Some are better than others but none of them are really all that bad.

I liked Enterprise but then lost interest during that horrible Xindi story arc which sucked out loud.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 am

Thanos wrote:

I liked Enterprise, but never cared for the whole Xindi arc.

Out of all the series, I liked DS9 the best (darkest IMHO), and Voyager the least.