3) The Cook Islands 92 per cent
4) Tonga: 92 per cent
5) Niue: 84 per cent
6) Samoa: 83 per cent
7) Palau: 81 per cent
8) United States: 79 per cent
9) Kiribati: 77 per cent
10) Dominica: 76 per cent

Edit: I'd like to know how that smiley got there for the US - I didn't put it there.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:36 am

I would have thought Canada would be in the top 10

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:39 am

andyt andyt:
http://beta.ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/world-fattest-countries.html

1) Nauru: 95 per cent of population overweight
2) Micronesia 92 per cent
3) The Cook Islands 92 per cent
4) Tonga: 92 per cent
5) Niue: 84 per cent
6) Samoa: 83 per cent
7) Palau: 81 per cent
8) United States: 79 per cent
9) Kiribati: 77 per cent
10) Dominica: 76 per cent

Edit: I'd like to know how that smiley got there for the US - I didn't put it there.

When you type 8 ) without the space, the page coding makes it into a smiley face :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Damn it!!! We're not even on the list! :(

Come on fellow Canadians, we can do it.
More bacon, poutine, pizza, Canadian cheese and beer.

Lots and lots of beer. :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:19 pm

:lol: at the smilie!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Do you guys realize that that is just 1 western country in the top 10?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Brenda Brenda:

I didn't post this because I'm concerned about obesity in Southern Pacific countries.

BTW, Holland was number 11.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:40 pm

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

I didn't post this because I'm concerned about obesity in Southern Pacific countries.

:lol:
Thats because I moved to Canada. If I had stayed there, Canada would be #11 :twisted:

That little fact just caught my eye (that the US is the only western country on the list), because all we hear is that "we" are so overweight, while for as far as I know, South Pacificers have always been. Thats not new... The the US is only # 8 does surprise me. It just surprised me not more western countries are on the list.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Brenda Brenda:

2, including Dominica. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:00 pm

None of you have travelled to many Polynesian or Micronesian islands have you? Whether they are Maori, Hawaiian, Samoan, Fijian or tahitian they all pack on the pork when they get older. Men and women both. Now, rather than look at the rates of obesity, look a heart disease in these populations, you'll be surprized. Brenda was the only one to pick up on the genetics....they've always been 'large' people, it isn't a recent thing, like the epidemic that has hit Canada's natives.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:20 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
None of you have travelled to many Polynesian or Micronesian islands have you? Whether they are Maori, Hawaiian, Samoan, Fijian or tahitian they all pack on the pork when they get older. Men and women both. Now, rather than look at the rates of obesity, look a heart disease in these populations, you'll be surprized. Brenda was the only one to pick up on the genetics....they've always been 'large' people, it isn't a recent thing, like the epidemic that has hit Canada's natives.

Pork & poi make a big boy!

Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one.

In any case, the rates for diabetes are also off the charts in Polynesia and that's because the dear folks have problems metabolizing complex sugars and wheat glutens which are not natural to their diets.

In Hawai'i there's a nascent movement to get native Hawai'ians to return to a traditional (and healthier) diet because Western foods are near poison to them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:26 pm

it's the same with North American natives. White bread, white sugar = white death. They were chunky before this and diabetes was unheard of because they ate a high fibre diet, rich in fruit, vegetables seafood and pork(with the occasional dog thrown in). All the crap that's killing us slowly is killing them faster.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 pm

"The world's fattest nation, the South Pacific island of Nauru, historically held fattening ceremonies in which young women were confined and fed disproportionately. The island did this not to its poor women but to those born to prominent families — the reverse of what is seen today in Western nations such as The United States where the poorest tend to be the most obese."

That's interesting.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:03 pm

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

How do the rest of the Netherlands do? :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
it's the same with North American natives. White bread, white sugar = white death. They were chunky before this and diabetes was unheard of because they ate a high fibre diet, rich in fruit, vegetables seafood and pork(with the occasional dog thrown in). All the crap that's killing us slowly is killing them faster.
Tell me about it. My oldest son, adopted from an aboriginal family, got Type 1 diabetes when he was about 26. He was always a very big lad. He really liked the fast food that is ruining everyones health. When he told me he had type 1 I said "don't you mean type two", but it was type 1. A friend of mine who is a doctor told me that type 2 can become type 1 if it gets bad enough. Now he eats much better and although he is still "big" it is more muscle and he takes better care of himself in most ways. I think it scared the shit out of him.