CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 am

Urdu (/ˈʊərduː/;[9] Urdu: اُردُو‬‎ ALA-LC: Urdū [ˈʊrd̪uː] (About this sound listen), or Modern Standard Urdu) is a Persianised and standardised register of the Hindustani language.[10][11] It is the official national language and lingua franca of Pakistan. In India, it is one of the 22 official languages recognized in the Constitution of India, having official status in the five states of Jammu and Kashmir, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, and Jharkhand, as well as the national capital territory of Delhi.

Although the word Urdu is derived from the Turkic word ordu (army) or orda, from which English horde is also derived.

In Pakistan, Urdu is mostly learned as a second or a third language as nearly 93% of Pakistan's population has a native language other than Urdu. Despite this, Urdu was chosen as a token of unity and as a lingua franca so as not to give any native Pakistani language preference over the other. Urdu is therefore spoken and understood by the vast majority in some form or another, including a majority of urban dwellers in such cities as Karachi, Lahore, Okara District, Sialkot, Rawalpindi, Islamabad, Multan, Faisalabad, Hyderabad, Peshawar, Quetta, Jhang, Sargodha and Skardu. It is written, spoken and used in all provinces/territories of Pakistan although the people from differing provinces may have different indigenous languages, as from the fact that it is the "base language" of the country. For this reason, it is also taught as a compulsory subject up to higher secondary school in both English and Urdu medium school systems. This has produced millions of Urdu speakers from people whose native language is one of the State languages of Pakistan such as Standard Punjabi, Pashto, Sindhi, Balochi, Potwari, Hindko, Pahari, Saraiki, Balti, and Brahui who can read and write only Urdu. It is absorbing many words from the regional languages of Pakistan. This variation of Urdu is sometimes referred to as Pakistani Urdu.[citation needed]

Although most of the population is conversant in Urdu, it is the first language of only an estimated 7% of the population who are mainly Muslim immigrants (known as Muhajir in Pakistan) from different parts of South Asia. The regional languages are also being influenced by Urdu vocabulary. There are millions of Pakistanis whose native language is not Urdu, but because they have studied in Urdu medium schools, they can read and write Urdu along with their native language. Most of the nearly five million Afghan refugees of different ethnic origins (such as Pashtun, Tajik, Uzbek, Hazarvi, and Turkmen) who stayed in Pakistan for over twenty-five years have also become fluent in Urdu. With such a large number of people(s) speaking Urdu, the language has acquired a peculiar Pakistani flavour further distinguishing it from the Urdu spoken by native speakers and diversifying the language even further.

Outside South Asia, it is spoken by large numbers of migrant South Asian workers in the major urban centres of the Persian Gulf countries. Urdu is also spoken by large numbers of immigrants and their children in the major urban centres of the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Germany, Norway, and Australia. Along with Arabic, Urdu is among the immigrant languages with the most speakers in Catalonia, leading to fears of linguistic ghettos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi%E2%80%93Urdu_controversy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu

If you guys are interested, I may help you in knowing how Urdu sentences are pronounced in daily life routines...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks man. [B-o]

Not something I lie awake at night wondering about, but I did find it interesting.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 am

The Tards will think you're trying to indoctrinate them.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am

Interesting stuff. So Turkic peoples brought Islam and Persian culture to India. Years ago, I was surprised by a comment in Midnight’s Children where a character’s ‘Lucknow-type Urdu’ was praised, Lucknow being in India. However, I wasn’t aware of the debate about Rushdie’s own knowledge of Hindi and Urdu until I googled that phrase today:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=WFahzm ... du&f=false

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am

Sunnyways wrote:
Interesting stuff. So Turkic peoples brought Islam and Persian culture to both India and Anatolia. Years ago, I was surprised by a comment in Midnight’s Children where a character’s ‘Lucknow-type Urdu’ was praised, Lucknow being in India. However, I wasn’t aware of the debate about Rushdie’s knowledge of Hindi and Urdu until I googled that phrase:

I believe the Mongols under Genghis Khan and his successors are the horde responsible. Turkic people would have been among the many different groups in the horde and some of them are the ones who expand into Anatolia but I believe they come to power in the India Pakistan region later in history after the Mongols have already brought Islam and its a different group of Tuks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:49 am

BeaverFever wrote:
I believe the Mongols under Genghis Khan and his successors are the horde responsible. Turkic people would have been among the many different groups in the horde but they rise to power later.

Not a history nerd so can't say anything on that :) Thanks for your comment.

Sunnyways wrote:
Interesting stuff. So Turkic peoples brought Islam and Persian culture to India. Years ago, I was surprised by a comment in Midnight’s Children where a character’s ‘Lucknow-type Urdu’ was praised, Lucknow being in India. However, I wasn’t aware of the debate about Rushdie’s own knowledge of Hindi and Urdu until I googled that phrase today:

Yes, Lucknow Urdu is one of real (cultured) Urdu. The Muslim people there used to speak in that Lucknow accent. Persians/Turks/Arabs have greatly influenced our land and people...Some say we are even influenced by Greeks. Don't know how much true is that.

Thanks for comment

ShepherdsDog wrote:
The Tards will think you're trying to indoctrinate them.

:lol: Should I begin then? I respect your fighting spirit, sir. I saw it in one of the thread where you got engaged with Russian member. I do respect you :)

DrCaleb wrote:
Thanks man. [B-o]

Not something I lie awake at night wondering about, but I did find it interesting.

Thank you, sir :)

I am glad you liked it. Also Happy that I brought something new to this forum.

The thing is if one's learn/know Urdu, it can understand to little extent Iranian language and to greater extent Indian language Hindi. Some Turkish and Arabic words can also be familiar to you if you know Urdu :)

I will definitely gonna translate some English sentences in Urdu...It'll be fun :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:44 am

This is how Urdu is pronounced.

English: The name of Canadian prime minister is Justin Trudeau

Urdu: Canadian prime minister ka naam Justin Trudeau hai

--------

English: Trump is bad human being.

Urdu: Trump ek bura insaan hai.

-----------

English: Canada is beautiful country

Urdu: Canada ek khubsoorat mulk hai.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am