CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options



PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 pm
 


Yet some Canadians are lacking medical help and dental care.
Have we forgot about the Innuit and other people of the north who are defending our soverienity with old 303 british rifles?
Most were transplanted by the Canadian govt. for that very reason.(Gjoehaven/Baker lake)
Why have we forgotten these people who boldly live and defend the very land Canadians lay claim to?

Why cant some doctors and dentists move there and save the govt a $2800.00 plane fare for these northern folks who have to fly to Winnipeg or Yellowknife for medical services?

As a Canadian born in Winnipeg and then moved to the west and now working in nunavut,I am appaled at what I see.

Are these people not Canadians?
Why are they ignored?
It breaks my heart every time I go there.

The teeth,deformities from
FAS,it just breaks my heart to the point that I have to ask why hasnt anyone noticed this problem in Canada's north?

Why Why Why?

They are defending our soverienity just by living there.

I'm pissed off,wish I could do more.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:56 pm
 


I know,tough subject,unless you have visited some of these northern communities you wouldnt know what it's like.

All I ask is why cant the Canadian govt. do more for these people?

They are defending our northern border,and no one even asked them to.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 pm
 


Dont want to bring up the res in labrador where the gas sniffing was getting out of hand and the govt. moved the whole community,like it helped. :roll:


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3362
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:02 pm
 


ziggy wrote:

All I ask is why cant the Canadian govt. do more for these people?

They are defending our northern border,and no one even asked them to.


Hey Ziggy, I am no expert on this issue, maybe it could be that there are not enough people in these remote locations up north.

Basically the politicians do not see enough potential votes out there.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:07 pm
 


Pimpbrewski wrote:
ziggy wrote:

All I ask is why cant the Canadian govt. do more for these people?

They are defending our northern border,and no one even asked them to.


Hey Ziggy, I am no expert on this issue, maybe it could be that there are not enough people in these remote locations up north.

Basically the politicians do not see enough potential votes out there.


Yes,or the doctors and dentist are too greedy.

I guess money is all their intersted in .
You would think there would be one doctor or dentist who who would go there just to make a difference.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:14 pm
 


Albert,takeing a vid of me as I was getting him to town and home yesterday.

They allways smile,no matter how bad life has treated them.


Attachments:
Albert going home.JPG
Albert going home.JPG [ 36.96 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
Online
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 15674
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 pm
 


If it was made a part of their training to have a practicum there and thus a requirement to attain their trade you would see them in more numbers. I think it should be made mandatory that all provinces be made to send a small but meaningful porting of their graduates to the north for a year or two and the ones selected to go should be paid a premium for doing so.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:27 pm
 


Scape wrote:
If it was made a part of their training to have a practicum there and thus a requirement to attain their trade you would see them in more numbers. I think it should be made mandatory that all provinces be made to send a small but meaningful porting of their graduates to the north for a year or two and the ones selected to go should be paid a premium for doing so.
That would be a good thing,let them see that people do inhabitate the north,they need doctors and dentists and it would save taxpayers money to have at least one in one northern community like Arviat,Rankin,Chesterfield inlet,Repulse bay,and the thousands of other small communities of Canadians around the coast of hudsons bay.

So why are we ignoring them?

For those who say were not All I can say is go there.

I'm pretty emberrased to be a Canadian when I see what some have to do to survive.

Not just in the north,the south has it's problems also.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 pm
 


lily wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Yes,or the doctors and dentist are too greedy.

I guess money is all their intersted in .
You would think there would be one doctor or dentist who who would go there just to make a difference.

Some areas are serviced by a dentist/CDA (with specialized training) who fly in and work a week at a time. It's not about being greedy - I could make more in a week there than in a whole month here. Education is key though... by the time most of these people see a dentist, the best treatment is an extraction, because it's too late for anything else.


Scape wrote:
If it was made a part of their training to have a practicum there and thus a requirement to attain their trade you would see them in more numbers. I think it should be made mandatory that all provinces be made to send a small but meaningful porting of their graduates to the north for a year or two and the ones selected to go should be paid a premium for doing so.

Years ago when one of my friends was in Med school, we discussed this. She said the tough part is they're trained on all the latest equipment, but if they do a practicum in a remote area, they have to make do with aging equipment.

Aren't there already incentives for working in remote areas? Other than a special tax bracket, I mean.


I took a guy in 2 weeks ago and he was telling me he hoped a dentist would show up soon,3 months since the last one and their lucky to see one every 6 months,thats what they say,stats dont mean shit,

Greed,and the folks who fly in only are there one day,thats from Mike who was trying to see a dentist for a half a year like Rankin,Baker,Chesterfield,Arviat,etc etc.

You can believe what you want but I see what I see and it doesnt jive with what you say.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:48 pm
 


lily wrote:
Maybe they don't stay in the same place for more than a few days at a time. I don't know... I'm just going by what a friend of one of my classmates said she does.

Considering sometimes it's 6 months between dentist visits I would say your friend is either lieing or mis informed.
When they do come they stay one day,thats what the guys and gals looking for treatement tell me.
But you can believe your bud,ask her for me if she has ever traveled up there to do work?
How long did she stay?


Offline
Active Member
Active Member


GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 136
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:51 pm
 


Its the same old story, the north is ignored except when it comes to removing the resourses wanted in the south, and think we whine about America extracting our resourses, and yet we bleed the north dry for multi national profits. What Canada needs to do is recognize that we need to serve the interests of all Canadians no matter where they are.
I believe the national resourse profits should go not to general revenue they should go to our social programs, after all the government claims the resourses belong to us all.
The whole profit system has to be re organized to reflect all citizens not just those with mutual funds and investments.





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:55 pm
 


My surgeon for my fractured ankle last year spent many years in the north,not because he had to but because he wanted to,one guy can only do so much though.

He also wprked at the con mine in Yellowknife as an equipment operator before deciding to go do surgery and he's the best in Alberta now.





PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 am
 


damngrumpy wrote:
Its the same old story, the north is ignored except when it comes to removing the resourses wanted in the south, and think we whine about America extracting our resourses, and yet we bleed the north dry for multi national profits. What Canada needs to do is recognize that we need to serve the interests of all Canadians no matter where they are.
I believe the national resourse profits should go not to general revenue they should go to our social programs, after all the government claims the resourses belong to us all.
The whole profit system has to be re organized to reflect all citizens not just those with mutual funds and investments.


Once again the north gets ignored,the military and a few posters on here bleat and scream about needing a military there to defend our sovierenighty and yet they forget we have had Canadians living up there all along!
Duhh!
They dont count or what?
Think I made my point,more tommorow. 8)


Offline
Active Member
Active Member


GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 136
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am
 


Here is an interesting point, if we can bring so many people into Canada with a variety of skills, why not train some of them to work in the north with the understanding that with time spent there would mean full recognition after a service period in the north





PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:06 am
 


Allmost everyone I work with is a ranger and their proud of it,their defending Canadian territory.
Most Canadians dont even know what a ranger is. SOVOP

Good night people.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  1  2  3  4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.