Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I love the onions and garlic from the fermented cucumbers when the jar is done.

LOL. This reminded me of the garlic cloves at the bottom of the pickle jar from the unbelievable pickles my grandma made. I helped often with pickling and one of my "duties" was peeling the fresh garlic cloves and depositing several in each jar then she'd add fresh dill and cucumbers from the garden, then of course her brine (I have the recipe she gave me). Not long after a fresh jar got opened up I would try to pull cukes out just to get to the garlic at the bottom all the time so one year she made a small jar of just pickled garlic cloves so that I had my own stash! :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:55 am

Strutz Strutz:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I love the onions and garlic from the fermented cucumbers when the jar is done.

LOL. This reminded me of the garlic cloves at the bottom of the pickle jar from the unbelievable pickles my grandma made. I helped often with pickling and one of my "duties" was peeling the fresh garlic cloves and depositing several in each jar then she'd add fresh dill and cucumbers from the garden, then of course her brine (I have the recipe she gave me). Not long after a fresh jar got opened up I would try to pull cukes out just to get to the garlic at the bottom all the time so one year she made a small jar of just pickled garlic cloves so that I had my own stash! :lol:

Exactly! But instead in fermented cukes, bacteria turn the sugars into a weak acid that preserves the fruit. So the garlic and onions also gets fermented in the brine, and it gets all unctuous. [drool]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 pm

Fresh BC peaches, with a little Brie, wrapped in some smoked prosciutto. A Honey Dew melon with mint gazpacho, and cottage cheese with just salt and pepper.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Fresh Ontario peaches

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:52 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Just ran across a restaurant review of a Chinese place here. Complete with four five star reviews.
I wanted to write my own:
Cafe part is dirty, washrooms so filthy they stand as proof Health Inspectors take bribes. Food is disgusting, reheated frozen no-name prepared with minimal effort. Service is so slow, it's best described as glacial....

Funniest part is I found it on a Bing search and the second listing was for the local Hospital. That's where you'd end up if you weren't immunized by growing up with this slop.
Really, it's true. One day the smorg had those kiddie dinosaur nuggets drenched with watery sweet& sour. "Prawns" and egg rolls repeatedly dipped and deep fried in dough until they're the size of hand grenades. Boneless pork - of course it is, fat and gristle doesn't have bones!

I have to make up a fake email on one of the more obscure domains that I own, sadly the town's so small the rednecks that posted those 5 stars and who've never eaten anything Chinese would make a scene...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Celery and cheez wiz cause it tasted good as a child! I think they changed it but the last time I had it I was pregnant! So it’s been awhile

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 pm

housewife housewife:
Celery and cheez wiz cause it tasted good as a child! I think they changed it but the last time I had it I was pregnant! So it’s been awhile

I think that they changed the cheez-whiz recipe a while ago. I stopped eating it when I found a locally produced version.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:17 pm

Raydan I think I need more information!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:34 pm

$1:
Cheez Whiz was reformulated in the early 21st century.

Dean Southworth, who was part of the original team that developed Cheez Whiz in the 1950s, described a jar he sampled in 2001 as tasting "like axle grease".

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:19 pm

I thought it was supposed to taste like sour axle grease. [huh]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:28 pm

I have a veggie pasta salad chilling out in the fridge right now with a bit of everything in it. Also have a couple of small inside cut boneless pork chops pre-seasoning. Tonight's dinner.

We had salmon & cucumber maki rolls last night. First time in awhile we have made those!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 pm

Just had a tasty sashimi sampler, perfect on a Sunny Sunday. Tako... I love octopus.

My kid at 5 used to stick his pelvis out Elvis style and claim "They call it Cheez Whiz cuz it's cheese mixed with whizz"... the wife always had it on hand. The jar in the fridge hasn't been touched in the 6 mos since she passed.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 am

herbie herbie:
The jar in the fridge hasn't been touched in the 6 mos since she passed.

In 20 years, it'll still be fine.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 am

Cantaloupe and confit Cantaloupe soup; more of those apricots, brie, and smoked prosciutto bundles; Macedoine salad (beans, peas, carrots and chives); and potato salad with new potatoes, fresh peas, and mint.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2316 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 150  151  152  153  154  155  Next