CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Would you pay contractors cash to avoid taxes?
Yes, and I wouldn't feel bad about it  50%  [ 8 ]
Yes, though I know it's wrong to do  6%  [ 1 ]
No, I would not do that  25%  [ 4 ]
Unsure/depends on what type of contract work  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Quote:
Majority of Canadians would pay cash to dodge tax: survey

A new survey suggests most Canadians are prepared to cheat the tax man by paying contractors cash under the table if they have the chance.

The survey for H&R Block Canada found 55 per cent of respondents saying they would opt for the cash option to avoid sales taxes.

And they are not overly guilty about it either. Only 30 per cent said they thought the avoidance wrong.

The findings are worrying if understandable, says an H&R Block tax analyst, because there can be serious legal penalties for tax avoidance.

A majority of the 1,500 adults polled also said they should not have to report bartered or traded services of goods and services, and that waiters and waitresses need not pay tax on their tips

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/majority-of-canadians-would-pay-cash-to-dodge-tax-survey-1.962639

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

I've done it before... and I've done untaxed contract work too.

Not sure how I feel about bartered work... but tips should be taxable.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 pm

I used to babysit all the time and not pay taxes. I made like $500 a month doing it too. All of it went to pay for school so it is not like the government didn't get it all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 pm

I wouldn't ever pay cash to a contractor.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:13 pm

SprCForr wrote:

Not even a babysitter?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

SprCForr wrote:

Yeah, it would concern me what it comes to certain types of work. That's why I added that 4th option to the poll.

When I had some minor plumbing work done a few years ago I used a plumber (through the company he worked for) that we had used sometimes at my workplace. I could have made a cash deal with him I'm sure but because I'm in a condo there was no way I was going to take any risk with there being the possibility of a mishap with the work he did. At least since there was a company invoice involved I would have something to prove someone at least qualified had done the work. Plus it's proof of an "improvement" made to my unit.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Paying cash also means there's no paper trail to guarantee the work being done properly. Probably also means there are no permits which means it may not be done to code.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Regina wrote:
Paying cash also means there's no paper trail to guarantee the work being done properly. Probably also means there are no permits which means it may not be done to code.

That was my first thought as well.
I wouldn't pay cash to someone who was doing major work for me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm

And with all these cheap assed people trying to avoid taxes on major renovations, no wonder that sanctimonious twit Mike Holmes has such a thriving business model. :roll:

I agree with Regina, no paper trail you're shit out of luck, not that it matters much anyway since the Gov't never goes after or even bothers to shut down shoddy or criminal contractors. They just sit back and claim it's a buyer beware situation. :evil:

But, at least with bills, and building permits you can take the pricks to small claims court and you may. with a little luck win your case. But then it doesn't matter since they'll declare bankruptcy, shut their company down and restart under different name free and clear with no Gov't interference. :twisted:

Nope. The best way to do major renovations is to find a contractor you think you can trust, get building permits and pay with a paper trail. Then, for insurance, go out and buy a large calibre handgun which, when placed at your contractors temple intermittently will ensure a thorough, timely, cost effective and enjoyable renovation. [B-o]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm

It depends on the situation. ie; amount and scope of work involved. In ANY case check references, and qualifications. There are 'licenced contractors-shops' out there that I wouldn't give 5 bucks to!

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I guess it also depends on the size of the job. For someone that doesn't have the capability to change out a set of taps, I suppose getting a cash job would be fine. Something that involves structural and good finish should all be done above board. I've got a situation like this now. Last week I have a landscaper come do a lock stone patio and walkway. He mentioned that he would do it for the same price less tax if I paid cash. They've finished but I don't like the grade and there are a few low spots. He's not getting paid till it's right but he's also not getting cash.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

I used family...no paper trail but I knew where each and every one of them lived. I put a screened in patio off the back of our house. They were all construction workers between jobs, so between myself , a friend from work and 3 of my cousins we gotter done....pretty pathetic if we couldn't handle a small job like that, seeing as there were two engineers and three guys that worked in housing construction...one of whom was also an electrician by trade. We put a 20 X 30 foot concrete pad down and went from there. This was all done under the table over a few weeks.

My parents had the same done to their house about 35 years ago. We basically lived out there from late April to early October. Had the BBQ out there, picnic table and benches and chairs, an old sofa, hammock and an old TV. Best thing was all the benefits of being out doors but no worries about rain or skeeters. During late spring, summer and early fall that's where we ate.

PS

I've also put in some roads, a few small embankments culverts and drainage ditches 'privately' as well

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:43 pm

I understand that a lot of people dislike paying taxes. In this country, we are taxed pretty hard in some areas. I deal with contractors daily, some who of which want to pay for their paint orders cash to save that extra bit. I personally don't participate, as I object to under-the-table deals of any sort.

I look at it this way: I hate taxes as much as the next person, but considering the amount of services and things at our disposal here in Canada, I don't mind paying. We have it pretty good in this country. If people don't want to pay their way, perhaps they should relocate elsewhere.

:rock:

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:36 pm

MeganC wrote:
SprCForr wrote:

Not even a babysitter?

No one took care of our kids but us or grandparents. Being babysat or daycare is a concept completely alien to my kids.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Regina wrote:

That's probably one of the biggest reasons right there. I should qualify my position a bit, I'd pay cash, but it would be against an invoice and I'd get a reciept. Certainly nothing "under the table."