Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Young Canadians want to retire early but many have not started saving for it

$1:
TORONTO - A new study suggests nearly half of young Canadians want to retire early, but few have begun saving enough for it.

The Bank of Montreal report found that 41 per cent of those surveyed — aged 18 to 34 — expect to stop working before they hit 60 years old.

About 57 per cent plan on retiring by the time they're 69.

Tina Di Vito, head of the bank's Retirement Institute says these expectations are unrealistic considering 27 per cent of respondents have not tucked away any money for retirement.

Among those who had begun saving, 52 per cent had put their money into a Registered Retirement Savings Plan, while 36 per cent used a Tax-Free Savings Account.

The study did not look at how much money was saved in those accounts.

"What we've noticed is that (young adults) are not doing a lot of things that are absolutely necessary for them ... to start preparing for their retirement years," Di Vito said.

Young people might not realize that the earlier they begin investing for the future, the less they'll need to save once they're nearing retirement, she added.

Others may not see retirement planning as a priority.

"There is a view that retirement is far off in the distance and there are more pressing other matters they have to deal with (like) finishing school, paying off student debt, buying a home, dealing with a mortgage and perhaps a young family," she said.

"There are many other priorities for a young adult where they really focus on, rather than focusing on things that are going to be 20 years down the road."

But the reality is members of Generation Y should be more worried about their retirement futures than their parents in the Baby Boomer generation, said Di Vito.

In the past, retirees only needed enough money to live for a few years after they stopped working. Now, as people continue to live into their 80, 90s and beyond, the young generation need to make sure they have enough money for these extra years, she said.

Employers who offer defined-contribution pension plans —which guarantee a certain level of retirement pay out — are also more rare nowadays, forcing people to rely more on their individual investments in retirement.

The vast majority of young people surveyed agreed that retirement planning was relevant (75 per cent) and important (82 per cent).

Still, only 23 per cent have spoken with a financial planner about their futures.

The "Broadening the Approach to Preparing for Retirement" report used data from a survey of a representative sample of 1,000 Canadians aged 18 and older.

It was conducted online by Leger Marketing between February 8 to February 16.

The margin of error is plus or minus 3.1 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/young-canadian ... nance.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Young Canadians want to retire early but many have not started saving for it

But I'm sure they feel entitled to it and probably want to get someone else to pay for it for them. We have a lot of the same down here, too.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 pm

And our parents have led us by example.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:35 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
But I'm sure they feel entitled to it and probably want to get someone else to pay for it for them.

Not from what I've seen. In most of the cases where I've talked to people it's just plain old fashioned short-sightedness. It's really hard to make sacrifices right now for a pay-off that won't happen for 40 years or more.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Some folks make just enough to pay the bills or not. Hard to save in those circumstances.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Unsound Unsound:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
But I'm sure they feel entitled to it and probably want to get someone else to pay for it for them.

Not from what I've seen. In most of the cases where I've talked to people it's just plain old fashioned short-sightedness. It's really hard to make sacrifices right now for a pay-off that won't happen for 40 years or more.

Yep. Hard work and perseverance pays off in the future while laziness pays off right now. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Wada Wada:
Some folks make just enough to pay the bills or not. Hard to save in those circumstances.

Everyone can save something. I've seen Vietnamese families around town start with nothing and build empires. There's no reason why anyone else can't do the same.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Wada Wada:

I completely understand that, but at the same time I remember being a young man with bills to pay and girls to chase(guess which ate up more money), and I was still able to squirrel away a little. I still live paycheque to paycheque in many ways, but it's almost laways possible to put something away.

My employer when I was young did matching RRSPs with payroll deductions. Easy peasey. I started out doing just $25 per paycheck, and once I realized I didn't even miss it I upped the amount. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have that kind of benefit at work, but a great many do.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Exactly. I've been putting away $500 per month for ages. The only thing I had to give up was my very expensive single-malt Scotch habit.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice! but if you wish to take it to personal experience I live on just a hundred and a little over your figure quoted above per month. Not complaining by the way. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm starting to think I may retire early. By early I mean 60 instead of 65. Between my CN pension, my CPP, and my CN stocks, I should be alright. I also plan on getting the hell out of Dodge.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Exactly. I've been putting away $500 per month for ages. The only thing I had to give up was my very expensive single-malt Scotch habit.

Wish I could afford to do that much, although between RRSPs, RESPs, and TFSAs I'm doing a lot better than anyone who knows how bad I am with money would ever suspect. :)
If I could give up BBQ and beer I'd be doing a lot better... not sure if it would be worth it though lol

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 am

How the hell do you save in this day and age? What with all the high prices and taxes and whatnot. I have some money left to enjoy after all my bills are taken care of, but a chunk of that goes to my RRSP, and the rest I try to enjoy responsibly.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:47 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
How the hell do you save in this day and age? ..... but a chunk of that goes to my RRSP

-J.

[huh]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:49 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
How the hell do you save in this day and age? ..... but a chunk of that goes to my RRSP

-J.

[huh]

Struck me as odd too.