bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Quote:

Discount retailer Zellers has unfriended Facebook, shuttering its page on the social networking site as the majority of stores get revamped under the ubiquitous U.S.-retail chain Target.

The Facebook page was shut down on Monday. In a message posted late last week the retail chain said: "We want to thank everyone for participating with us and supporting the Zellers Facebook site over the past year," according to media reports.

The news drew hundreds of responses on the page, which had more than 143,000 likes.

The reaction was mixed. Some posted memories of shopping at Zellars, while others used the announcement to complain about the chain, its customer service, and the prices on its remaining liquidated merchandise, the Canadian Press reported.

The Zellers story began in the 1930s, but it wasn't until 1978 that it became a discount retail subsidiary for the Hudson Bay Co.

In 2011, Hudson Bay sold leasing rights for more than 200 Zellers locations to U.S. retailer Target for $1.83 billion.

Three Zellers stores will remain. HBC spokeswoman Tiffany Bourre says the remaining stores will be in Montreal, Toronto and White Rock, B.C., CP reported.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insig ... Q--;_ylv=3

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Zellers or Zellars? Pretty sad when the reporter can't be bothered to get a simple fact like this right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 pm

The prices even now in liquidation are still too high.

$40 for an 8 GB sd card :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Good riddance. Such a bush-league company.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Toronto, population: 2,615,060.
Montreal, population: 1,649,519.
White Rock, population: 19,339.

....?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Public_Domain wrote:
Toronto, population: 2,615,060.
Montreal, population: 1,649,519.
White Rock, population: 19,339.

....?

White Rock probably wasn't worth buying and renovating for Target.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Let's not forget: back when the competition was K-Mart Zellers looked pretty good.
At least they carried fat guy stuff for a while, Shirts in Tall sizes, pants above size 34 and shoes with a W.
The whole HBC takeover seems to have doomed their whole chain. Couldn't adapt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 pm

The one here is closing too (7,500 people, although the area has a little over 30,000). I don't think we will get anything back tho.
http://corporate.target.ca/m/company/en/our-stores

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 am

Yeah, they're renovating the Zellers here in town. The stained burn mark of the Zellers logo on the aged brick glares towards the road. Black and grimy but completely readable; streaks run down the husk of a building from the newest addition to the history book of doomed trademark names... The entire building is fenced off in red plastic, with white icons emblazoned on it depicting the Target logo, a heart, and than a maple leaf, apparently trying to tell me it loves my country.

Go to hell, Target.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 am

Today we shop, tomorrow we die......

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 am

Totally unrelated : What I'm still wondering is how come Target, Costco and wal mart haven't opened up stores here in Dubai, hell we even have Tim Horton here now.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 am

Quote:
Three Zellers stores will remain. HBC spokeswoman Tiffany Bourre says the remaining stores will be in Montreal, Toronto and White Rock, B.C., CP reported.

Why bother?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 am

So 143,000 people liked the fact they were closing the FB page, lol.

Why White Rock?

Yeah their liquidation sale was no sale at all. My last visit I was reminded why I rarely went there anyhow. Asking a staff who clearly worked in the toy section about a toy and she replied "I don't know" without even looking up from what she was doing. When I replied I figured it would be something she might know since she worked in the section she finally looked up and scowled "no, that does not mean I should." I parted by wishing her happy unemployment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 am

I just want to vent a slightly weird and totally pointless pet peeve that is nothing but a waste of my energy to explain:

Why must everyone use retarded cutesy verbs from the barely related social media when talking about things? "Unfriends"? I don't know who you are, reporter, but please please feel ashamed of yourself for making a title as stupid as this. It works me up for reasons I don't really understand. It's not funny, maybe that's why. It seems childish and unprofessional... It's fucking stupid.

Maybe it's to early in the morning.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 am

I didn't shop there too often, but last year I was passing by the 'local' Zellers and noticed the 'CLOSING OUT' sign so I stopped in. Picked up 3 pairs of CSA certified steel-toe work boots for a total of $42.00!