Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:52 am

More than 1.1 million Canadians served in the armed forces in the Second World War. Of these 42,042 members of the Canadian Armed Forces gave their lives, and another 55,000 were wounded, a heavy price to pay for such a small young nation.

This is footage of the Canadians landing on Juno Beach - June 6, 1944.

Specificly the first wave of Canadian solders from the North Shore Regiment (3rd Canadian Division) at Nan sector, Juno beach. The video was captured by a camera on board the landing craft.

Canadian soldiers hit the beaches and began the deadliest run of their lives. As they worked their way through the obstacles and minefields they came into the killing zones of the German gun positions.

340 Canadians died out of 1,074 total casualties on June 6th.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:05 am

God bless them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:36 am

God bless them all.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 am

A Canadian scoop
There was one additional silent witness to the Canadians' historic struggle to get ashore on Juno Beach that morning. Positioned toward the stern and slightly to the port side of a Queen's Own landing craft, Sergeant Bill Grant watched through the viewfinder of a motion picture camera as a platoon of assault troops in the second wave debarked the landing craft and charged toward the beach at Bernieres-sur-Mer in Normandy. The film footage he shot was destined to become the most famous 35 seconds of wartime footage of the day.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=1664350

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:46 am

'The Great Landing'

"The great landing in Western Europe is the opening of what we hope and believe will be the decisive phase in the war against Germany. The fighting is certain to be heavy, bitter and costly. We must not expect early results. We should be prepared for local reverses as well as successes. No one can say how long this phase of the war will last. But we have every reason for confidence in the final outcome." - Canadian prime minister W.L. Mackenzie King in a radio address on June 6, 1944.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:07 pm

One regiment's story
Broadcast Date: Nov. 11, 1994

They were farmhands, university grads, natives and small-town boys. But as different as their backgrounds were, four years of training made the Regina Rifles a tight regiment who trusted one another with their lives. Their first big test was D-Day, when they were among the first to storm Juno Beach. In this retrospective, some of the remaining Reginas remember the bloody toll D-Day took on their unit.

D-Day: Canadians Target Juno Beach
They sailed in under cover of darkness to smash down the walls of "Fortress Europe." On June 6, 1944, the Allied forces invaded the Normandy coast of Nazi-occupied France. The Canadians' entry point was a stretch of sand code-named Juno Beach. Many would die there but, for the Canadian forces, D-Day was a triumph that is still honoured at home and on the beach they called Juno.

http://archives.cbc.ca/war_conflict/sec ... 1317-7873/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:08 pm

I spammed this thread for my own selfish benefit. I have no honour or shame.

I am an embarrassment to my parents.

Last edited by SprCForr on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Filthy spammer

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:11 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:23 pm

nice edit sprcforr R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:44 pm

sunbo sunbo:
I spammed this thread for my own selfish benefit. I have no honour or shame.

I am an embarrassment to my parents.

Suck my fat one you cheap dimestore hood.