CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:34 pm

Wow, wouldn't that be something!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't see why the fact it was made of aluminum would contributed to its preservation. I was under the impression that aluminum corrodes quite readily in a marine environment--especially pit corrosion.

You can get marine-grade aluminum, but the aluminum they use (at least these days) in any aircraft application is desitgned for lightweight strength, not corrosion resistance.

I'll be interested to see about this. I recently became interested in undersea corrosion. Why? Because I'm a geek.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Raise it and preserve it! Luftwaffe air power of that era was awesome. I went to the Canadian Air Museum in Ottawa late last year where they have a fully restored Messerschmidt BF 109E in it's origina livery. Awesome.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Cool 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Raise it and preserve it! Luftwaffe air power of that era was awesome. I went to the Canadian Air Museum in Ottawa late last year where they have a fully restored Messerschmidt BF 109E in it's origina livery. Awesome.

-J.

Being a student of military history and an ex Air Force type this find is very interesting. A DO-17 is a great find.

But I have to say (and I'm very biased) that the Nazi Luftwaffe was 'awesome' only when they faced an inferior force. The RAF stopped them in their tracks in 1940.

They were unable to counter the allied bombing raids by the USAAF and RAF in 1941 and on and lost air superiority over occupied Europe by 1943.

The Luftwaffe put up a good fight but were out 'awesomed' by the RAF and USAAF. Now they were awesome war machines and they won.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

Last edited by EyeBrock on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

Being a student of military history and an ex Air Force type this find is very interesting. A DO-17 is a great find.

But I have to say (and I'm very biased) that the Nazi Luftwaffe was 'awesome' only when they faced an inferior force. The RAF stoped them in their tracks in 1940.

They were unable to counter the allied bombing raids by the USAAF and RAF in 1941 and on and lost air superiority over occupied Europe by 1943.

The Luftwaffe put up a good fight but were out 'awesomed' by the RAF and USAAF. Now they were awesome war machines and they won.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

That was "awesome" :lol: R=UP That and the "awesome" lack of an "awesome" heavy bomber fleet and the awesomeness of the Luftwaffe only appeals to those that forget that "awesome" really doesn't aptly describe the air arm of one of history's most degenerate regimes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Well put Mustang!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 am

Mustang1 Mustang1:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

But I have to say (and I'm very biased) that the Nazi Luftwaffe was 'awesome' only when they faced an inferior force. The RAF stoped them in their tracks in 1940.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

That was "awesome" :lol: R=UP That and the "awesome" lack of an "awesome" heavy bomber fleet and the awesomeness of the Luftwaffe only appeals to those that forget that "awesome" really doesn't aptly describe the air arm of one of history's most degenerate regimes.

Not to mention that the "awful" Nazis built dozens or hundreds of their "awesome" planes whilst the Allies built tens of thousands of theirs.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:22 am

Great news) :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I don't see why the fact it was made of aluminum would contributed to its preservation. I was under the impression that aluminum corrodes quite readily in a marine environment--especially pit corrosion.

You can get marine-grade aluminum, but the aluminum they use (at least these days) in any aircraft application is desitgned for lightweight strength, not corrosion resistance.

I'll be interested to see about this. I recently became interested in undersea corrosion. Why? Because I'm a geek.

I think it would depend of the kind of aluminium used. "Pure" aluminium is very resistant to corrosion because of the layer of aluminium oxide on its surface. Alloys may corrode though by oxido-reduction reaction.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 am

Most likely 5052 or 6061 aluminum skin with T-6 Aluminum spars and landing gear. Some parts will be salvageable especially the casted aluminum but the skin would all have to be all stripped off anyway. Huge money (millions) if they want it to fly again and big money (millions) if they just want a museum display aircraft.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 am

Regina Regina:
Most likely 5052 or 6061 aluminum skin with T-6 Aluminum spars and landing gear. Some parts will be salvageable especially the casted aluminum but the skin would all have to be all stripped off anyway. Huge money (millions) if they want it to fly again and big money (millions) if they just want a museum display aircraft.

Let them do some studies to see if this is feasible. It would be interesting if this could be done but I have my doubts all those years in salt water does not bode well for aircraft aluminum.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 am

Who cares. Leave it where it is.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:11 am

andyt andyt:
Who cares. Leave it where it is.

People like you didn't discover History as kind of science))