Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:31 pm

What are the oldest Canadian military units. I know the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was formed in 1795 under the comand of Thomas Skinner. I know that this regiment was not a Canadian regiement. But im still interested in finding out the oldest Candian regiments.

Last edited by AdamNF on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:09 pm

Well this is a topic near and dear to my heart... lets start with the Black watch (RHR) of CANADA, my old regiment, we just recently celebrated our 141st anniversary in Canada, (Canada is only 136 years old BTW) We are the senior highland regiment in Nort America (Formed here) and our pipe band is the longest continuing functioning pipe band in North America. There have been as you say other regiments here longer, but they were "imported from the Commonwealth, the canadian Black watch was formed here in camada, and started its life here.. ill have to look into things and ask a buddy of mine (fred Ficher) who is a better historian, but there are a number of other very well know units that are nearly as old in not as old..

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:50 pm

I need to clear somthing up. The Royal Newfoundland Regiment of the 1795 era was Newfoundlands own, i said it was a british unit but only when then brits declared war then they would call up the RNR. Newfoundland being a colony.

Im guessing RHR means Royal Highlander Regiment, where are you based? And has the unit been in the same province since its conception? I think Highlander i think NS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:49 am

Adam you asked about old military units my father served with the L.S.S.R and from what it says in the book'' In The Face Of Danger'' this unit is fairly old. It got it's start april 29 1886 and was first named the 96th ''district of Algoma Battalion of Rifles.''
But in 1896 it was declared ''non effective',And was struck from the strength of the Canadian Militia. However in July of 1905 it was reactivated and given its present name. the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment.
So anyways that is one regiment that is fairly old.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:15 am

Wasn't the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry raised to fight in the Boer War? According to previous posts, that would not make it the oldest, but I think it was the first to fight overseas.

At any rate, the history of the PPCLI is VERY interesting. Damn near impossibe to learn about and not be proud to be Canadian.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:27 am

Black Watch was there too

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:39 pm

The RNR did fight in the war of 1812.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:52 am

The Canadian Grenadier Guards formed in 1764 on March 12th. They were technically a militia unit, so I don't know if that totally counts or not? There maybe were earlier units but I haven't found one yet...

Last edited by ckzero on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:07 am

I wouldnt know if it would count or not..lets ask RH.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:35 am

Ok the CGG is the oldest military unit in Canada. They were classed as a primary reserve infantry battalion, so I guess that does count.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:53 pm

Been awhile since I've been here, hope you're all doing well. The oldest unit in service (regular force service - Black Watch used to be the Fourth Regular unit) with the Canadian forces is the Black Watch I do believe. AdamNF, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment only dates back to 1949 when it comes to service as a Canadian regiment - with the only predating recognitions being the RNFLDR's battle honours from WW1...all battle honours previous to WW1 that the Regiment had weren't authorized to be held by the 1949 regiment when it was reformed.

EDIT:

BTW, the PPCLI was raised to fight WW1, they didn't exist nor was there any plans to form it during the Boer War. The Royal Canadian Regiment fought the Boer War, though they were formed back in 1885 of course. I can't recall any specific regiment being formed for the purpose of fighitng the Boers.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:42 am

Good lets see if we can get THIS thread going again...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:04 am

$1:
AdamNF, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment only dates back to 1949 when it comes to service as a Canadian regiment - with the only predating recognitions being the RNFLDR's battle honours from WW1...all battle honours previous to WW1 that the Regiment had weren't authorized to be held by the 1949 regiment when it was reformed.

No it was formed in 1795 by Major Thomas Skinner and were known as Skinner's fencibles.

$1:
# The Royal Newfoundland Regiment of fencible infantry that we represent was first formed in 1795 by Major Thomas Skinner, R.E. to provide for the defence of Newfoundland, England's oldest colony. Disbanded in 1802 according to the terms of the Treaty of Amiens, Skinner's fencibles were again reactivated in 1803 for service in the Americas. It was to consist of one grenadier company, one light company, and eight battalion companies, and in all respects was to be on the same footing as His Majesty King George III's regiments of the line. Through vigorous recruiting, regimental strength reached 683 men by the year 1805.

http://www.battleofgeorgianbay.huronia. ... /faqs.html

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/na-can ... 80newf.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... recan.html

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/govhouse/governors/g32.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:47 am

Adam, read my entire statement, I said it only dates back as a CANADIAN UNIT to 1949.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:28 am

Ah yes.

Though it was not technicaly a Canadian unit it is the oldest unit in Canada.