Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am

It depends on how China goes about it's expansion and who they decide to colonize.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 am

CommanderSock CommanderSock:
It depends on how China goes about it's expansion and who they decide to colonize.

They've already sent colonists to many parts of the world including Canada. Many Chinese see themselves as Chinese first, the country they live in as a far second if at all. I think any expansion/colonization will be more economic than military, and so far we seem very eager to "sell them the rope with which they will hang us."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 am

Now that would be an interesting question.

Many people like to talk about China not being territorially aggressive;
fact is they don't really have anywhere to go.

Have a look at the map..

Russia ? no
Mongolia ? why ?
Afghanistan ? no way
Tajikistan / Pakistan ?
India ? no, they could raise a rather large army.
Burma
Vietnam
Laos
North Korea ? friends already placed in all locations
Tibet ?.. oh, they took it already.

Japan ? umm, no

They will simply continue to buy everything they can,
especially in Africa.
Good prices, no discussions about stupid things like human rights.. perfect.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:30 am

The British empire wasn't contiguous, nor is the US sphere of influence. Even the USSR looked well beyond its borders once it had established its buffer zone. Take a look at the Chinese activities in Africa.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 am

China dabbles into Africa on its own peril.

Today they end up buying land for export to China, but without benefit to Africans or their rights the rebels will take things into their own hands.

Niger Delta, South Sudan, Congo's LRA and so on.

The Delta Rebels crippled Nigeria's economy in 2009, they single handedly shut down Chevron and Shell's offshore operations. They have called the Chinese "locusts" and said if China is allowed to purchase oil blocs they will take it upon themselves to make sure no oil is processed.

Again...China is colonizing at its own peril.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 am

Actually China is also colonizing into Siberia. As the Russians there dwindle, apparently Chinese are flooding across the border.

As for colonizing at its own peril - I guess you can say that about any colonizer. But money talks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 am

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
I hate to be the doomsday prophit but I seriously worry that at some point we will have to go to war with china.

We should have stopped trading with these dictators long long ago and taken the moral ground over the "profit at any cost" ground.

Now we are the ones feeding an oppressive government of the east that has more people then most of us would ever care to count and has nuclear bombs. It could end up being some very scary moments if they ever get a leader in government like Hitler who decides the Chinese people are a superior race that needs more room to grow.

Scary stuff.

Ahhh, the constant worry over who will supplant the Americans. In the 80s, it was the Japanese, then in the early 90s, the newly reunified Germany was supposed to make us quake in our boots. Now it's the Chinese.

China is a paper tiger militarily and even economically. Their army and air force are mostly equipped with weapons built during the 60s and 70s. for example, little old Taiwan has almost as many modern fighter planes as the the entire PLA air force, while Japan and South Korea actually have more. The PLA Navy is full of small ships (only a few destroyer-sized vessels) and has little to no blue water capabilities, meaning they can intimidate Brunei and the Philippines in the South China Sea, but can't send a task force to worry North America (frankly, they be lucky if it made it here at all without running out of fuel). Their nuclear subs are several decades behind the USN, RN, the Russians, and even the French, so even a strategy of sea denial is also out of the question. Even the 'advanced' Kilo subs they bought from the Russians aren't that great.

The recession has hurt them almost as much as it has hurt us, as we're no longer buying all the stuff they can make, which in turn led them to cut back on natural resource imports. This is worrying because while Shanghai, Beijing and other coastal areas are/were booming, the rest of the country is essentially a dirt poor 3rd world nation, full of migrant workers desperate for a few dollars a day in income. Xinjinag province (where the vast majority of the Uighur ethnic minority lives) has a lousy economy and is only valuable to China for its natural resources, which is why the unrest there is disturbing to the CCP. They remembered how they overthrew the Nationalists and desperately want to prevent the same thing from happening to themselves.

Perhaps instead of constantly looking over our shoulders in paranoia, we should focus on making our own nation better.

andyt andyt:

They've already sent colonists to many parts of the world including Canada. Many Chinese see themselves as Chinese first, the country they live in as a far second if at all. I think any expansion/colonization will be more economic than military, and so far we seem very eager to "sell them the rope with which they will hang us."

Many Chinese but not all, and that number drops once you start talking 2nd and 3rd generation.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:58 am

Russia will mop the floor with China if it does anything such as laying claim to its territory.

The Russians won't hesitate to exterminate humans; their valuation of life is low.

Russians would rather turn their own land into a nuclear scrapheap that to allow anyone else to have it.

Multiple times in history there has been no hesitation in aggressive scorched earth policies.

About Africa…Its combined population will within 10 years rival that of China (currently its 1.1 billion). I’m not even sure that’s up for grabs anymore. Too many Africans there now, too many mouths to feed, too many cars to fuel, too many bodies to house.

When Europe colonized it, Europe had a larger population. This is not the case today.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I hate to be the doomsday prophit but I seriously worry that at some point we will have to go to war with china.

We should have stopped trading with these dictators long long ago and taken the moral ground over the "profit at any cost" ground.

Now we are the ones feeding an oppressive government of the east that has more people then most of us would ever care to count and has nuclear bombs. It could end up being some very scary moments if they ever get a leader in government like Hitler who decides the Chinese people are a superior race that needs more room to grow.

Scary stuff.

Ahhh, the constant worry over who will supplant the Americans. In the 80s, it was the Japanese, then in the early 90s, the newly reunified Germany was supposed to make us quake in our boots. Now it's the Chinese.

China is a paper tiger militarily and even economically. Their army and air force are mostly equipped with weapons built during the 60s and 70s. for example, little old Taiwan has almost as many modern fighter planes as the the entire PLA air force, while Japan and South Korea actually have more. The PLA Navy is full of small ships (only a few destroyer-sized vessels) and has little to no blue water capabilities, meaning they can intimidate Brunei and the Philippines in the South China Sea, but can't send a task force to worry North America (frankly, they be lucky if it made it here at all without running out of fuel). Their nuclear subs are several decades behind the USN, RN, the Russians, and even the French, so even a strategy of sea denial is also out of the question. Even the 'advanced' Kilo subs they bought from the Russians aren't that great.

The recession has hurt them almost as much as it has hurt us, as we're no longer buying all the stuff they can make, which in turn led them to cut back on natural resource imports. This is worrying because while Shanghai, Beijing and other coastal areas are/were booming, the rest of the country is essentially a dirt poor 3rd world nation, full of migrant workers desperate for a few dollars a day in income. Xinjinag province (where the vast majority of the Uighur ethnic minority lives) has a lousy economy and is only valuable to China for its natural resources, which is why the unrest there is disturbing to the CCP. They remembered how they overthrew the Nationalists and desperately want to prevent the same thing from happening to themselves.

Perhaps instead of constantly looking over our shoulders in paranoia, we should focus on making our own nation better.

andyt andyt:

Many Chinese but not all, and that number drops once you start talking 2nd and 3rd generation.

Wise words Boots.

I think we should start our own political party.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:05 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

Scary stuff.

andyt andyt:

I remember the first time I say the Chinese Navy in port - a few score rusting Romeos and Whiskys, some beat up old Ludas, and not much else. Not terribly intimidating, and it reamins such to this day.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:23 pm

I agree Gunnair. We have people running around telling us how powerful the Chinese are and how they will 'topple' the US and it's lone super-power status.

I'm not convinced.

I always remember how the Grapes of Wrath was banned by Stalin. You would have thought that dirt-poor farmers of the Depression era would have been great propaganda for the Soviets.
Stalin didn't want his dirt-poor masses reading about US poor that could still afford a car.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:20 am

Did not this topic start in health care and racism , owell don't laugh at their military as they own most of the debt we have the Chinese that is .

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:37 am

OldChum OldChum:
Did not this topic start in health care and racism , owell don't laugh at their military as they own most of the debt we have the Chinese that is .

Not Canada's. The USA yes.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am

My opion of racial stereotyping is that, if a certon race doesn't like to be stereotyped. Than stop acting like the stereotype. I also find it rather hilarious that out of all the white stereotypes. Nobody, not even whites has called racism or tried to prevent that type of stereotyping. Such as mentioned in this thread, white typically being stereotyped as pedofiles. We are not the only race that has a pedofilia problem however when it comes to the west, we are generally the most commonly pedofiles. Maybe due to our higher % of white population, who knows. However when a cop looks for a pedofile. He is going to stereotype which will be directed to a white guy.

When there has been a gang related killing, corner store robbery, etc. They will stereotype a black man. So on and so forth. Every race creates there own stereotype, they can either own up to it or call racism whenever somebody calls them out. Seems to me however that it's only whites that can pretty much own up to there own faults. Being we are pretty much considered the only race capable of racism, or having stereotypes that can be called out without being racist.

As for the whole native thing, I mean c'mon. Sorry the poster hurt your feeling but I am guessing you don't know many natives. Natives made there stereotypes and prove day to day to that they can keep it. If somebody calls that out, than tough luck.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:56 am

Bacardi4206 Bacardi4206:
My opion of racial stereotyping is that, if a certon race doesn't like to be stereotyped. Than stop acting like the stereotype. I also find it rather hilarious that out of all the white stereotypes. Nobody, not even whites has called racism or tried to prevent that type of stereotyping. Such as mentioned in this thread, white typically being stereotyped as pedofiles. We are not the only race that has a pedofilia problem however when it comes to the west, we are generally the most commonly pedofiles. Maybe due to our higher % of white population, who knows. However when a cop looks for a pedofile. He is going to stereotype which will be directed to a white guy.

When there has been a gang related killing, corner store robbery, etc. They will stereotype a black man. So on and so forth. Every race creates there own stereotype, they can either own up to it or call racism whenever somebody calls them out. Seems to me however that it's only whites that can pretty much own up to there own faults. Being we are pretty much considered the only race capable of racism, or having stereotypes that can be called out without being racist.

As for the whole native thing, I mean c'mon. Sorry the poster hurt your feeling but I am guessing you don't know many natives. Natives made there stereotypes and prove day to day to that they can keep it. If somebody calls that out, than tough luck.

What a retarded post.

Races aren't monolithic blocks of ant colonies. A race is made up of individuals, who aren't controlled by or answer to some kind of racial overlord.

The problem is that stereotypes are just that. Nothing but sweeping generalizations.

They pigeonhole individuals in uncomfortable situations before they're given a chance to even prove themselves.

Do we ostracize every law abiding black man for all black criminal's behavior?