canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:18 am

I heard this term used for the first time today by one of the Cree teachers. Once it was used an an exclusionary term/concept, but it now seems to have become and accepted way, by some, to determining who can be labelled First nation. I

I've listed the wiki page, and it refers to how it was is used in the States, but it seems to be gaining popularity here. pay attention to the section of what determines membership in a tribe.....1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32(equivalent to one great-great-great-grandparent) up to membership by lineal descent(no minimum blood quantum requirement, but members must be able to document descent from original enrollees of tribal rolls).

What the hell happens if this ever comes to pass in Canada? Time for us all to get DNA testing. I've had family in North America since the last decade of the 1600s, so maybe I can score some benefits.

As it currently stands, according to a friend who received his status at age 19 (his maternal grandfather was white/mixed, his dad was white) his kids could marry whites and still be eligible for status, but their kids couldn't unless they married someone with status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_quantum_laws

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 am

Kind of reminds me of Homeopathic "Medicine". Dilute the solution until it can't possible have one molecule left of the original, and claim that it still possesses the efficacy of the original.

Sure you are only 1/64th First Nations blood, so you should still get 100% of the benefit!

edit: And, I'll bet that if they go to something like 1/64 or lower, that they end up including a lot of distant Asian ancestors in that mix.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

In the USA, raising the blood quantum fraction is a time-proven way of kicking undesirables out of tribes.