Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:24 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3079019

$1:
Since January 2013, close to 40 people have taken their own lives, says Randy Littlechild, executive director of Maskwacis Health Services. That includes a rash of suicides in March and April this year, where the community of 15,000 recorded one or two every week.

"To us, that's a significant number," says Littlechild, and the community is crying out for answers. "They're hurting, they're grieving. They want action, they want some help."

Suicide is the leading cause of premature death among Alberta's First Nations people. In a 2011 report, Health Canada noted the rate of suicide there is three times that of the general population. But among those aged 15 to 24, that rate is doubled again.

There has been a similar problem in this community, like many other native communities with suicide and slow suicide(people drinking themselves into a grave). What I find frustrating is the despondency that drives so many to take their lives at such a young age could be alleviated through education.

They hate life on the reserve and don't see a future for themselves here, yet they are so hostile towards getting an education. I try and tell students(young and adult) that this is their ticket to something or somewhere better, or an opportunity to improve conditions in the community if they choose to stay. Yet, we continue to have attendance rates well below 50% beginning as early as Grade 2.

$1:
"For the younger kids, it could be bullying in school, cyberbullying, it could be sexual interference," says Littlechild. "There's a lot of reasons, and you have to look at the socio-economic impacts of the community itself."

Among the recent rash of suicides is a growing number of adults and older people. Littlechild says unemployment, housing and education are contributing factors. He also lists the overall environment of the community.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:32 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/dramatic-rise-in-maskwacis-suicide-rate-creates-critical-crisis-1.3079019

$1:
Since January 2013, close to 40 people have taken their own lives, says Randy Littlechild, executive director of Maskwacis Health Services. That includes a rash of suicides in March and April this year, where the community of 15,000 recorded one or two every week.

"To us, that's a significant number," says Littlechild, and the community is crying out for answers. "They're hurting, they're grieving. They want action, they want some help."

Suicide is the leading cause of premature death among Alberta's First Nations people. In a 2011 report, Health Canada noted the rate of suicide there is three times that of the general population. But among those aged 15 to 24, that rate is doubled again.

There has been a similar problem in this community, like many other native communities with suicide and slow suicide(people drinking themselves into a grave). What I find frustrating is the despondency that drives so many to take their lives at such a young age could be alleviated through education.

They hate life on the reserve and don't see a future for themselves here, yet they are so hostile towards getting an education. I try and tell students(young and adult) that this is their ticket to something or somewhere better, or an opportunity to improve conditions in the community if they choose to stay. Yet, we continue to have attendance rates well below 50% beginning as early as Grade 2.

The socioeconomic structure of the reserves has to change. If children grow up surrounded by poverty and alcoholism, it's no wonder where they end up as adults.

We have too many of these remote ghettos around the Country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am

Hobbema isn't remote, and has a population of 15 000.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Hobbema isn't remote, and has a population of 15 000.

Remote or not, that doesn't really address my point of these reserves serving as ghettos.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:50 am

Trudeau tried to undo the Indian Act and get rid of status 40 years ago. Too much political opposition even for him. Maybe one day...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Trudeau tried to undo the Indian Act and get rid of status 40 years ago. Too much political opposition even for him. Maybe one day...

It was a pipe dream. Equality for all Canadians native or not.

I still find it amazing that Trudeau as a Liberal would even consider dismantling the Indian Act, settling land claims, paying out the Natives and allowing them to own and sell property.

Of all the things that man did, this is the only one I ever agreed with and it's like you say, unfortunate that the majority of politicians especially those of his own party didn't feel that the Natives could take care of themselves, were worthy of being equal or could ever get along without help from that self flagellating group of do gooder's who's sole purpose in life seems to be championing the people they want kept downtrodden.

To bad history can't be redone because we likely wouldn't be having this discussion had Trudeau succeeded.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Yet it's Trudeau who gave Aboriginals special status in the constitution, which is part of the problem. Almost impossible now to make everybody equal.

They're stuck by their own dogma that they are special, while also feeling inferior and scared to mix in the wider world where they're not special at all. They're being fed, what one commentator called a "dream castle" where it will all be handed to them on a platter, and with recent CSC decisions who can blame them.

But it's two way street. We came in and took their land, told them their culture was worthless and put them on reserves and residential schools. That sort of damage to a people doesn't just fade overnight, and we've never made an real effort to reach out a hand. What we do is give welfare and try to buy them off to stay out of our way while we get down to business.

It's going to take both sides making the effort. I doubt it will ever happen.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Surely more money will solve this problem.

andyt andyt:
We came in and took their land, told them their culture was worthless and put them on reserves and residential schools.

Yeah, remind me next time to bring a bigger gun, I didn't take enough land last time.

:roll: :roll: