CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 60115
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:15 am
 


BRAH wrote:
FFS we have nothing to apologise for except Celine Dion.


If you want to make up for Celine Dion then feel free to give us Carly Rae Jepson! She's the cutest little thing in the world! [B-o]


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28133
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
BRAH wrote:
FFS we have nothing to apologise for except Celine Dion.


If you want to make up for Celine Dion then feel free to give us Carly Rae Jepson! She's the cutest little thing in the world! [B-o]


Nope. You chose Bieber and Dion, now live with those decisions.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 60115
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:26 am
 


:lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 am
 


I think there's been substantial progress on the reconciliation front. There may be a bit of a backlash because the current government promised way more than they can deliver. But First Nations, at least in BC, are far more involved in decision making on their traditional territories than they have been in the past.

I'm not a big fan of removing statues or even issuing apologies. I think that providing First Nations a voice in the governance of their traditional territories and negotiating treaties is key. So I'm kind of hopeful. I kind of have to be.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 12284
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:55 am
 


Zipperfish wrote:
But First Nations, at least in BC, are far more involved in decision making on their traditional territories than they have been in the past.

I'm not a big fan of removing statues or even issuing apologies. I think that providing First Nations a voice in the governance of their traditional territories and negotiating treaties is key. So I'm kind of hopeful. I kind of have to be.



They definitely are but the problem is that there are people who shouldn't be are involved in decision making that has no bearing to their own traditional territories who are. A fact which is helping to fracture native solidarity and annoy the crap out of the rest of Canada.

You get the okay from a band for development and then out of the blue another band or chief from across the country who isn't even geographically connected to the territory in question speaks out and the Federal Gov't seems to respond immediately and addresses their concerns even if it violates the rights of the band doing the original negotiating.

Prime example. The Northern Gateway Pipeline. There are numerous bands who's land the pipeline would have traveled through who gave their consent but, then you had Natives who usurped the authority of these band chiefs and councils who have no real recourse.

Quote:
First Nations leaders who support pipeline projects are afraid to speak out because they have become stigmatized by some protesters, AFN national chief Perry Bellegarde said.

"There's a stigma now attached to supporting economic development. There's a stigma that somehow you're not a First Nations person, if you support a pipeline," he said in an interview with CBC News. "I think we have to slow down and stop and say 'We balance things between the environment and the economy.'"

"The point is that some of those chiefs are quiet and yet I know they support," he said. "It's about who's the loudest sometimes."


https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/first- ... -1.3878846

I wonder if this attitude of overlordship by Bellergarde and the Assembly of First Nations is the old, "we know what's better for you than you do" attitude because if it is, it's time to stop because all it's doing is fracturing their base disrespecting the integrity and ability of individual bands to do what's best for their people and making progress much more difficult.


Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:

They definitely are but the problem is that there are people who shouldn't be are involved in decision making that has no bearing to their own traditional territories who are. A fact which is helping to fracture native solidarity and annoy the crap out of the rest of Canada.

You get the okay from a band for development and then out of the blue another band from across the country who isn't even geographically connected to the territory in question speaks out and the Federal Gov't responds immediately and addresses their concerns even if it violates the rights of the band doing the original negotiating.

Prime example. The Northern Gateway Pipeline. There are numerous bands who's land the pipeline would have traveled through who gave their assent but then you have people Natives who are usurping the authority of these band chiefs and councils who have no real recourse.

Quote:
First Nations leaders who support pipeline projects are afraid to speak out because they have become stigmatized by some protesters, AFN national chief Perry Bellegarde said.

"There's a stigma now attached to supporting economic development. There's a stigma that somehow you're not a First Nations person, if you support a pipeline," he said in an interview with CBC News. "I think we have to slow down and stop and say 'We balance things between the environment and the economy.'"

"The point is that some of those chiefs are quiet and yet I know they support," he said. "It's about who's the loudest sometimes."


https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/first- ... -1.3878846

I wonder if this attitude of overlordship by Bellergarde and the Assembly of First Nations is the old, "we know what's better for you than you do" attitude because if it is, it's time to stop because all it's doing is fracturing their base disrespecting the integrity and ability of individual bands to do what's best for their people and making progress much more difficult.


I don't see this so much as a problem, as a sign of progress. Yes, different First Nations have differing interests, differing politics, just like the provinces do. If they are scrapping it out, and hammering out tough agreements based on what's best for each, that's a good thing.

Overlordship of the AFN? I don't think so. The AFN is a comparatively weak organization.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Previous  1  2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.