canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:00 pm

It's not that Canada is bad, it's that we're downright embarrassing. I remember the last Olympics when some hotshot hurdler was supposed to win us a medal and completely biffed it on the very first hurdle. I mean--come on. The first hurdle?

Then there was some fifty year old Chinese import in fencing (one of the few Olympic "moments" I caught) and she got her butt completely kicked--again, embarrassing. Then there was the rowing--which apparently we are supposed to be good at, and again the team disappointed, not even making it to the medal round.

I mean, put some fucking effort into it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 am

yeah its bad for you guys this year.

Canada kicks Ass? [huh] :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 am

ManifestDestiny wrote:

yeay, yeah, yeah--rub it in. [hockey] See you in 2010!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:16 am

ManifestDestiny wrote:

Wait til it's over and then start chirping. Most of the events where we have a good shot at getting a medal haven't finished yet.

Besides, we're a winter nation. Who gives a fuck if we can't win at summer sports. We've been kicking ass lately in the Winter Olympics, which is where we should focus anyways. Like Zip said, let's talk again in 2010...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 am

Can we please put a stop to all this we're a Winter Olympics bullshit, sorry but no one in the world gives a toss about the Winter Olympics and besides the Scandinavians, Russians etc have the same climate as us and they've got medals.
I honestly hope we don't win a single medal then at least something might be done.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 am

bootlegga wrote:
ManifestDestiny wrote:

Wait til it's over and then start chirping. Most of the events where we have a good shot at getting a medal haven't finished yet.

Besides, we're a winter nation. Who gives a fuck if we can't win at summer sports. We've been kicking ass lately in the Winter Olympics, which is where we should focus anyways. Like Zip said, let's talk again in 2010...

well with all the Global Warming going on around here I thought we were a summer nation [huh] :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:24 am

Who gives a shit about Summer Sports anyway? This is Canada, dammit. The land of Skiing, Hockey playing, Curling, and Figure skating.

Though, I didn't think we'd suck this much ass at a few summer sports.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 am

IcedCap wrote:
Can we please put a stop to all this we're a Winter Olympics bullshit, sorry but no one in the world gives a toss about the Winter Olympics and besides the Scandinavians, Russians etc have the same climate as us and they've got medals.
I honestly hope we don't win a single medal then at least something might be done.

You need to stop smoking the stuff you sell. Canada is a winter nation and we care FAR more about Hockey than we ever will about the Summer Olympics.

Personally, I could care less if we win a medal at the Summer Olympics. It's all about bragging rights and undetectable drugs, not sportsmanship these days. Anyone who thinks Croatia is a better place to live because they have more medals than us is welcome to emigrate there.

Kudos to the athletes who compete, but our government has far more important things to spend money on, like Arctic sovereignty or tax breaks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:30 am

Ooops! Double post... :oops:

Last edited by bootlegga on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am

bootlegga wrote:
Besides, we're a winter nation. Who gives a fuck if we can't win at summer sports.

I hear this excuse all the time and it is 100% unfiltered BS. Like I mentioned in another thread quite a few winter nations are doing decent.

Look at Russia, known as a "winter nation" yet it has 12 medals.

Sweden and Finland, another couple "winter nations" have won 2 each so far. Norway got one.

Canada used to be good at the summer olympics, in '84 we were the number six country with 44 medals. A respectable standing. Jump to '96 and we got only 22. Jump to '04 and Canada wins 12.

In '08 I predict we will do even more poorly than '04.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:43 am

saturn_656 wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
Besides, we're a winter nation. Who gives a fuck if we can't win at summer sports.

I hear this excuse all the time and it is 100% unfiltered BS. Like I mentioned in another thread quite a few winter nations are doing decent.

Sweden and Finland, another couple "winter nations" have won 2 each so far. Norway got one.

Canada used to be good at the summer olympics, in '84 we were the number six country with 44 medals. A respectable standing. Jump to '96 and we got only 22. Jump to '04 and Canada wins 12.

84 was boycotted by Russia no wonder we did so good :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 am

mtbr wrote:
saturn_656 wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

84 was boycotted by Russia no wonder we did so good :lol:

Maybe I'll bar graph Canadian medal standings so everyone can see the downward trend...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:30 pm

IcedCap wrote:

the Scandinavians, the Russians....and....think....think....YES! the Canadians! I'm sorry if this is news to you.

I heard someone going on today about how it's teh money. We don't give enough money to sport. Baloney. A lot of these athletes that are choking came in rated very high in the world. Obviously, to reach that pinnacle, they must have had satisfactory training. If you are ranked second in the world and you come in fifth, like Canada's men's synchronized 3 m diving, then it's not money, it's just choking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Thank god we have Michael Phelps!

No offense to you Canadians, but I have been following the Olympics, but not paying too much attention to it on TV, but has Canada won a medal yet? :?:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:44 pm

We better kick ass in 2010...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 9  Next