bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Chagrin wrote:
Thank god we have Michael Phelps!

No offense to you Canadians, but I have been following the Olympics, but not paying too much attention to it on TV, but has Canada won a medal yet? :?:

Nope.

We are 77th in the world.

Fuck Summer...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Damn, shit sucks.

Oh well, take comfort in the fact you'll hand our asses back to us on a silver platter in the winter. [B-o]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 pm

Canada 0

one American 5 GOLD

can we start an anti- American rant about that :lol: :lol: :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:42 pm

saturn_656 wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
Besides, we're a winter nation. Who gives a fuck if we can't win at summer sports.

I hear this excuse all the time and it is 100% unfiltered BS. Like I mentioned in another thread quite a few winter nations are doing decent.

Look at Russia, known as a "winter nation" yet it has 12 medals.

Sweden and Finland, another couple "winter nations" have won 2 each so far. Norway got one.

Canada used to be good at the summer olympics, in '84 we were the number six country with 44 medals. A respectable standing. Jump to '96 and we got only 22. Jump to '04 and Canada wins 12.

In '08 I predict we will do even more poorly than '04.

1984? Well why aren't you complaining about our atrocious medal count in 1980? Oh right, boycotts are only important when trying to prove YOUR point.

Yeah, and every time the Olympics roll around, when we get no medals in the first couple of days, nay-sayers like you bitch and moan...oh where are thou medals?

Your point that Finland and Sweden are ahead of us is laughable. How many did they get in ALL of 2004? Sweden = 7, Finland = 2. Looks like both of them had their events already...they also both got less than us in 2000, 1996, 1992, 1984, and 1976. Prior to that, it looks like Canada and Sweden took turns beating each other by a couple. Feel free to look for yourself;

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008 ... T_MAP.html

As for Russia, well, let's see, they are about 6 times as big as us, so they are going to have more medals, and unlike us, they have sub-tropical regions (like Sochi, on the Black Sea) where they can train year-round, unlike us. We have to send our athletes to the US/South America to train year round in a lot of sports. That costs a lot of money.

The problem is that 1984 created all sorts of unrealistic expectations. After that, everyone suddenly thought, Canada is an Summer Olympic superpower, when in reality, Canada has almost always done poorly (look back before 1976 if you don't believe me). In fact, after WW2, we were single digit medal winners (less than 10 medals) in EVERY Summer Olympics until 1976 when we got 11.

If we don't have any AFTER the entire Olympics are over, then congrats, you're right. But bitching and moaning while they are still underway (and our best chances haven't been in a medal competition) is simply retarded.

We'll win at least 12 medals this Olympics, if not more. The rowing teams alone are in contention for at least three. Then there is always a couple who come out of nowhere, and we might be able to snag a few in track, which hasn't even started yet. To the best of my knowledge, the only place where 'sure things' AKA world champs have not got a medal are in swimming and doubles tennis so far.

Give the kids a chance...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:06 pm

bootlegga wrote:
If we don't have any AFTER the entire Olympics are over, then congrats, you're right. But bitching and moaning while they are still underway (and our best chances haven't been in a medal competition) is simply retarded.

IMO I'll be right if our showing is poorer than Athens. The head of the COC has said he expects us to be in the top 16. I can already tell you that won't happen.

But I'll bite my tongue until the show is over.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:17 pm

:rock:

We have better things to do in the summer,and this year the olympics is just a backstage event.
In Canada we have an important vote which could change history :wink:
Do you think we would notice if Canada said all unclaimed lottery money would be put into the athletic programs..etc...not a chance
The only thing we care about right now is if the Ranger will Live,or Die

[B-o]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:26 pm

CanadianLynx wrote:
We have better things to do in the summer,and this year the olympics is just a backstage event.

In Canada we have an important vote which could change history :wink:

Vote that could change history? Hmm? :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:31 pm

mtbr wrote:
Canada 0

one American 5 GOLD

can we start an anti- American rant about that :lol: :lol: :lol:

You bet. Michale Phelps is a genetic creation of the Project for a New American Century, a protype for a superbeing that will be mass produced to spread American hegemony in teh Middle East and get the OIL!!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 pm

bootlegga wrote:

Give the kids a chance...

You're right. Consider me chastened!

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:15 pm

Canadians shouldn't 'throw in the towel'

Quote:
The head of the Canadian Olympic Committee says Canadians who are upset with their country's lack of medal production at the Beijing Games should calm down and relax.

The fact Canadians haven't won a medal in the pool has sparked a heated debate among readers of CBC.ca/olympics who are frustrated that Canada has been shut out so far in the Games that are now in Day 5.

Chris Rudge, chief executive officer of the COC, told CBC's Heather Hiscox in China that "this is the time to support the athletes who are there."

He says that after the Games are over, Aug. 24, that all aspects of the entire Canadian contingent's performance will be examined.

One CBC reader wrote "we are on the road to mediocrity," while another said "[it's] sad when you see these third world Countries at least winning a medal or two and a rich, large country like Canada has won 'squat.'"

Rudge says more money is coming into the system in the next few months. He also wishes Canadians would be more vocal about the Olympic team when the Games aren't being held. He says that would help create the atmosphere needed to generate more funds.

Before the Games, the COC predicted Canada would be in the top 16 for medals. He stands by that prediction, and says "you don't throw in the towel yet."

Silken Laumann, who won three Olympic medals in rowing for Canada, appreciates how fans feel, but she also echoed Rudge's sentiment about getting behind the Canadian athletes competing in China.

"Canadians are expecting medals, we like to know we're doing as well as countries like Australia, but I think we need to take a step back," Laumann told CBC Newsworld.

"For instance, looking at what's going on in the pool, sure we haven't won a medal yet, but there are a lot of our swimmers who have set Canadian records, who have had personal-best performances, and that's worth something, and I think we should be proud of how our athletes are doing."

Like bootlegga said.....Give the kids a chance....

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/story/2008/0 ... anada.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Oh, I'm still cheering for Canada...

I just don't care about summer sports.

And to not admit that we are blowing is to be blind.

We may have 1 or 2 before this is done.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 San Jose Sharks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:07 pm

canada really needs to rethink how the money is spent. but about 1 week after the olympics are over everyone will forget about beijing

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:48 am

mixedfarmer wrote:
canada really needs to rethink how the money is spent. but about 1 week after the olympics are over everyone will forget about beijing

Huh? What's a "Beijing"?

;)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 am

bootlegga wrote:
You need to stop smoking the stuff you sell. Canada is a winter nation and we care FAR more about Hockey than we ever will about the Summer Olympics.

Personally, I could care less if we win a medal at the Summer Olympics. It's all about bragging rights and undetectable drugs, not sportsmanship these days. Anyone who thinks Croatia is a better place to live because they have more medals than us is welcome to emigrate there.

Kudos to the athletes who compete, but our government has far more important things to spend money on, like Arctic sovereignty or tax breaks.

I don't know what the smoking reference is about, maybe you're mixing me up with someone else.
Canada is not a winter nation, look out the window how much snow do you see? besides what does the weather have to do with indoor sports like swimming, gymnastics, wrestling etc etc. You do have something right though people care about Hockey more but its funny how no one complains about all the rinks and arenas that get built with tax payer money which is basically back-handed funding for hockey development.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:45 am

IcedCap wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
You need to stop smoking the stuff you sell. Canada is a winter nation and we care FAR more about Hockey than we ever will about the Summer Olympics.

Personally, I could care less if we win a medal at the Summer Olympics. It's all about bragging rights and undetectable drugs, not sportsmanship these days. Anyone who thinks Croatia is a better place to live because they have more medals than us is welcome to emigrate there.

Kudos to the athletes who compete, but our government has far more important things to spend money on, like Arctic sovereignty or tax breaks.

I don't know what the smoking reference is about, maybe you're mixing me up with someone else.
Canada is not a winter nation, look out the window how much snow do you see? besides what does the weather have to do with indoor sports like swimming, gymnastics, wrestling etc etc. You do have something right though people care about Hockey more but its funny how no one complains about all the rinks and arenas that get built with tax payer money which is basically back-handed funding for hockey development.

good point, what does hockey have to do with the outdoors?

Canada is a one trick pony, maybe we should campaign for some ice sports to be moved to the summer olympics to prevent getting skunkedat the podium.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 9  Next