Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 am

IcedCap wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
You need to stop smoking the stuff you sell. Canada is a winter nation and we care FAR more about Hockey than we ever will about the Summer Olympics.

Personally, I could care less if we win a medal at the Summer Olympics. It's all about bragging rights and undetectable drugs, not sportsmanship these days. Anyone who thinks Croatia is a better place to live because they have more medals than us is welcome to emigrate there.

Kudos to the athletes who compete, but our government has far more important things to spend money on, like Arctic sovereignty or tax breaks.

I don't know what the smoking reference is about, maybe you're mixing me up with someone else.
Canada is not a winter nation, look out the window how much snow do you see? besides what does the weather have to do with indoor sports like swimming, gymnastics, wrestling etc etc. You do have something right though people care about Hockey more but its funny how no one complains about all the rinks and arenas that get built with tax payer money which is basically back-handed funding for hockey development.

Really? That's funny. When I was in the mountains this past weekend, there was plenty of snow... :wink:

Face facts, we only have maybe 3 months of summer in most of Canada and the rest of the year is too cold to train outside for many sports. Last time I checked, using all those indoor facilities weren't free. But if you live Australia, you can go swimming pretty much anytime you get to a lake or the ocean. Same with jogging, cycling and tons of other sports. Hard to do that year round here. And other sports get ingrained in a nation's pysche, like hockey and Canada, Baseball and the US, Judo and Japan, etc. That means more people participate in these sports and those countries therefore have a deeper talent pool to pick candidates from, and therefore a better chance to get on the podium.

People can bitch and moan about Canadians finishing 4th or 6th or 20th, but the reality is that that is pretty damn good. To be able to say you were the 4th best person in the WORLD (out of 6+ billion people) in 2008 in your event is not too shabby IMHO.

As a patriot, I'd love to see Canada get 50 medals. As a realist, I don't want us to spend hundreds of millions of dollars annually on something that boils down to favoritism from judges, undetectable drugs and other BS.

Like I said, I can think of far better uses for $400 million (what Australia spent prior to the Sydney Olympics) or the billions the US/China/Russia spend on training programs, drugs and gifts for winning medals.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 am

bootlegga wrote:
Like I said, I can think of far better uses for $400 million (what Australia spent prior to the Sydney Olympics) or the billions the US/China/Russia spend on training programs, drugs and gifts for winning medals.

As I understand it, American athletes get little financial support from their government. Private sponsors are the primary source of income.

But no Canadian company could be bothered to provide serious sponsorship to Canadian athletes I suppose...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 pm

saturn_656 wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

As I understand it, American athletes get little financial support from their government. Private sponsors are the primary source of income.

But no Canadian company could be bothered to provide serious sponsorship to Canadian athletes I suppose...

I'll agree that corporate sponsorship here is far less than in the US, but some companies do sponsor athletes, like RBC, Bell and a couple others.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Carol Huynh advances to the gold medal match in Women's Wrestling.....1st medal... gold or silver.... :rock: :rock:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Wrestler guarantees Canada's first Olympic medal

Carol Huynh has guaranteed Canada's first Olympic medal by advancing to the gold medal match of women's freestyle 48-kilogram wrestling.

Huynh defeated Tatyana Bakatyuk of Kazakhstan by winning one technical point in the first period and four points in the second period.

Bakatyuk was scoreless in both periods.

[flag] [flag]

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/wrestling/st ... match.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Wow.

We got one. Woot.

Go Canada?

*gets immediately attacked by every American and any Canadian who has jumped off our bandwagon*

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Woo Hoo! Go for Gold Carol!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:24 am

So I havent watched one bit of these farce of games...well because I am boycotting and because the summer olympics blows donkey dicks, but i was in the beer store and the dude had it on tv...I saw a final showing of third place for something...dont exactly know what, but did we place somewhere somehow?....did the 54 year old fencer take out a chinese diplomat..cuz that would have been cool

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:32 am

No medals or massacres yet. Sherraine Schalm was penalized for roughing in her match against Hungarian Ildiko Mincza-Nebald in the epee. And coach Dragan Jovanovic was ejected in the third quarter for arguing a call with the referees in the Men's Water Polo. Our best chances are today in wrestling and rowing.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:41 am

Silver medal in Mens Pairs rowing [flag]

Last edited by Hyack on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:58 am

Carol Huynh wins GOLD in Women's 48kg Freestyle Wrestling [flag] [flag]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:03 am

Clear a path to the podium, bitches!!

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:36 am

Wrestler Verbeek captures Canada's third medal

Canadian wrestler Tonya Verbeek won the second Olympic medal of her career and Canada's third of the Beijing Summer Games on Day 8 of Olympic competition.

The Beamsville, Ont., native won bronze in the 55-kilogram weight class, beating Ida-Theres Nerell of Sweden by a score of 1-0, 1-0 in the bronze medal match.

Verbeek won silver at the 2004 Athens Summer Games.

Her bronze medal in Beijing came minutes after her teammate Carol Huynh won Canada's first gold at 48-kilograms, and less than an hour after Canadian rowers Scott Fransden and Dave Calder won silver, Canada's first medal of the 2008 Summer Games.

[flag] [flag] [flag]

Last edited by Hyack on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:48 am

bootlegga wrote:
ManifestDestiny wrote:
yeah its bad for you guys this year.

Canada kicks Ass? [huh] :lol:

Wait til it's over and then start chirping. Most of the events where we have a good shot at getting a medal haven't finished yet.

Besides, we're a winter nation. Who gives a fuck if we can't win at summer sports. We've been kicking ass lately in the Winter Olympics, which is where we should focus anyways. Like Zip said, let's talk again in 2010...

Lets look at all these summer sports.

* Aquatics
o Diving (8) INDOOR
o Swimming (34) INDOOR
o Synchronized swimming (2)INDOOR
o Water polo (2) INDOOR
* Archery (4) INDOOR or outdoor
* Athletics (47) Indoor and outdoor
* Badminton (5) Indoor

* Baseball (1) outdoor
* Basketball (2)Indoor
* Boxing (11)Indoor
* Canoeing (16) outdoor
* Cycling (18) Indoor and outdoor
* Equestrian (6) outdoor winter ?
* Fencing (10) Indoor
* Field hockey (2) outdoor

* Football (2) Outdoor ..how many Canadians play indoor soccer???
* Gymnastics (18) Indoor
* Handball (2) Indoor
* Judo (14) Indoor
* Modern pentathlon (2)outdoor
* Rowing (14) outdoor
* Sailing (11)outdoor
* Shooting (15)indoor and outdoor

* Softball (1) outdoor
* Table tennis (4)indoor
* Taekwondo (8)indoor
* Tennis (4)outdoor or indoor ever see a tennis dome in Canada
* Triathlon (2)outdoor
* Volleyball (4)indoor
* Weightlifting (15)indoor
* Wrestling (18)indoor

Looks like the Summer Olympics have a lot of weather proof events.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:37 am

Heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee we go!

Go Canada :rock:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next