bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:24 pm

But the bad news is that much of Quebec will root for France :(

And Latvia has some beaches on the Baltic...I think.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Be cheering like crazy for the Japanese women's team in the soccer final to punk out those American twats like they deserve. Don't like cheaters, egomaniacs, dirty players, and never will. And, just to get it out into the open, that bitch ref should be forced for the rest of her career to wear a Team USA jersey for every game she "officiates". :x

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Well I just saw the game and yeah, the DOG call was brutal and then the hands penalty kick, just friggin gagged me.

Tough one to lose but nothing to hang their heads over. It'll be hard for them to get up for the next one.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Canada Robbed by Norwegian Referee Christiana Pedersen in Olympic Semifinal

Quote:
Sports Illustrated said a few minutes ago, "I saw something for the first time tonight. Norwegian referee Christiana Pedersen made a game-changing call that incensed the Canadians when they were up 3-2 late in the second half. I have never seen a team in an elite-level game given an indirect free kick in the box for the opposing goalie being deemed to have held onto the ball longer than the six-second time limit. But that's exactly the call Pedersen made against Canadian keeper Erin McLeod. If the referee had warned McLeod before, it might be a bit more understandable."

Watched every minute of today's Olympic semifinal between Canada and the US. It was, as every article i've read says, one of the greatest sporting events in Olympic history, certainly Canadian sports history and maybe all of sports history. What a shame to have the win stolen from the Canadian team by terrible officiating by Norwegian refree Christiana Pedersen who chose to ignore a clear hand ball inside the box on American midfielder Megan Rapinoe and then, in the 81st minute, made the unheard of delay-of-game free kick against McLeod and gave the resulting indirect free kick just inside the Canadian area.

Then, after that unbelievable call , the resulting free kick hit Marie-Eve Nault on the chest and arms and referee Christiana Pedersen of Norway ruled it a hand-ball. Experts worldwide, even in the USA, are saying It was a shocking call, given the strength of the drive and the fact that Nault made absolutely no move with her hands beyond pulling them into her chest.

The US played agreat game, they controlled the ball and the game throughout. In that sense the US deserved the win. But they control Christine Sinclair who scored a hat-trick and they wouldn't have won without the help of Norwegian refree Christiana Pedersen who should never be allowed to referee another big match again. I know this sounds like sour grapes and i'm almost always rooting for the non-winning team [or individual] because i love an underdog but i'm not a whiner and today the Canadians were robbed.

The Mud Report

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm

It's official.

Canada has become the Oakland Raiders of international sport. Feking twat Nowegian referee's notwithstanding. :twisted:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:02 pm

FIFA may discipline Canadian players, coach over ref remarks

Quote:
The governing body of soccer is considering disciplinary action over blistering comments made by Canada's coach and players following a loss to the United States in the semifinals of the Olympic women's soccer tournament.

FIFA says it will analyze the remarks by the Canadians, who were upset with the referee over a call rarely seen. Goalkeeper Erin McLeod was whistled for holding the ball too long, starting a sequence that led to the Americans' tying goal late in the game.

The U.S. won 4-3 in extra time, advancing to Thursday's title game against Japan where they're guaranteed to come away with at least a silver medal. Canada was relegated to the bronze-medal match on Thursday against France.

In the semifinals, Canada was looking for its first win against the U.S. since March of 2001, a span of 27 games, but a pair of goals from Megan Rapinoe, and a late penalty kick from Abby Wambach got the powerful American squad to extra time, where Morgan came through with her late-game heroics.

Wambach's penalty came after the Americans were awarded a free kick outside the Canadian box by Norwegian referee Christiana Pedersen when goalkeeper Erin McLeod was whistled for the rarely called violation of holding the ball for more than six seconds. Marie-Eve Nault was charged with a handball in the penalty area on the ensuing kick.

Wambach revealed Tuesday that she subtly lobbied for the call by counting out loud when McLeod had the ball.

Canadian coach John Herdman was livid with Pedersen on Monday.

"She'll have to sleep in bed tonight after watching the replays, she's got that to live with," he said. "We'll move on from this, I wonder if she'll be able to."

McLeod said Pedersen told her that she had held the ball for 10 seconds.

"Not even close," McLeod replied.

Christine Sinclair, who scored all three of Canada's goals, said afterward that "the ref decided the result before the game started."

Sinclair also said she pleaded with Pedersen to reconsider the pivotal call.

"She actually giggled and said nothing," Sinclair said. "Classy."

Sinclair felt the Canadians were robbed of a victory.

"Obviously, we're disappointed and upset. We felt that the referee took it away from us, so, yes, we are disappointed. We feel like we didn't lose, we feel like it was taken from us. It's a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started."

CBC

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Canada's Derek Drouin earns high jump bronze

Quote:
Canada’s Derek Drouin captured an Olympic bronze medal in the men’s high jump event on Tuesday in London.

In one of the most unusual finishes, Drouin, of Corunna, Ont., will share the bronze with two other competitors — Mutaz Essa Barshim, from Qatar, and Great Britain’s Robert Grabarz.

It was the first Olympic medal for Canada in the men’s high jump event since Greg Joy won silver at the 1976 Games in Montreal.

Russia’s Ivan Ukhov won the competition, while American Erik Kynard earned the silver.

More to come

CBC

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Alex Despatie finishes 11th in Olympic finale

Quote:
Two-time diving silver medallist Alex Despatie finished 11th Tuesday in the men's three-metre springboard, the final Olympic event of the Canadian's career.

The Laval, Que., native, who took silver in this event at the last two Olympics, missed badly on his final dive, his torso hitting the water at almost a horizontal angle. His final score of 413.35 over six dives placed him second-last among the 12 finalists.

Russia's Ilya Zhakarov upset reigning Olympic and world champion He Chong of China to win the gold medal. Zhakarov scored 555.90, while He's score of 524.15 earned him the bronze medal. The silver went to China's Qin Kai (541.75), who went into the final round separated by 1.25 points with Zhakarov and attempted a much easier dive than the Russian.

China had won all five of the diving events held before this in London.

Canada's Francois Imbeau-Dulac missed the cut for the final by one spot.

Injury throws off Despatie
Despatie's preparations for the London Olympics were thrown into disarray in mid-June when he struck his head on the board while practicing for an event in Madrid. He suffered a concussion and a 10-centimetre cut just below his hairline that required stitches and metal clamps to close.

The injuries kept Despatie out of training for weeks, but the 27-year-old later decided to go ahead and compete in what he has said will be his final Olympics.

Despatie finished sixth in the synchronized 3m event with teammate Reuben Ross.

Canada's dominant diver for a generation, Despatie burst into the spotlight as a 13-year-old at the Commonwealth Games in 1998, when he captured gold in the 10-metre platform. He went on to compete at the 2000 Olympics before winning back-to-back silver medals in the individual three-metre springboard in both 2004 and 2008.

Despatie has also won world titles in each of diving's three individual disciplines — the 1m springboard, 3m springboard and 10m platform — becoming the first diver in history to do so.

CBC

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanos wrote:
those American twats

Geez. :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Thanos wrote:
those American twats

Geez. :roll:

Yeah Bart, I agree with ya there (for the most part.... :wink: ).... :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Sorry. The rage took me to a bad-mannered place. :oops:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Hyack wrote:
CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
That referee should be shot. That was the main contributor to Canada losing, the smaller factor being Canada blowing the lead repeatedly after gaining it. Christine Sinclair did everything she could do in that game. The others should have stepped up as well, but they didn't.

I'm getting really disappointed at the 'Canada Falls Short' headline this Olympics. Why can't we have shiny gold medals aplenty?

-J.

I hate ragging on the officials in any sport, but the "delay of game" call in the 76th minute was a crock of shit considering the importance of this game, Canada had the lead 3-2 but was scored on directly because of the poor call and resulting penalty kick. Full marks to both teams for a great, well played game. Canada will now play France for the Bronze.....

GO CANADA!!

Where were the cards??? At the very least, the poor excuse for a ref should have issued a yellow card which - normally - would be followed by a red card for delay of game. Also the fact that the 'ref' was seen to high five one of the US players then rub her thumb and finger together after the call is suspicious. Then, Wombach admitted after the game that she 'subtly' influenced the 'ref' by counting loudly.

And now FIFA is investigating our team for comments made after the game??? Were I the Canadian team, I would seriously think of withdrawing from competition in protest - but a Bronze is on the line and that would be unthinkable.

What a frickin' shame that one person can do so much to influence what was an outstanding game by both teams.

Kudos to the U.S. for the win - they played well. I will be cheering for Japan in the final.

GO, CANADA, GO! :rock:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanos wrote:
Sorry. The rage took me to a bad-mannered place. :oops:

[B-o] :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Hope you don't mind this little interjection but this seems like the right place for it:

Edit:

Also saw this which has now made me a fan of Usain Bolt. He stopped an interview to honor the US national anthem...and I am sure he does this for every national anthem, as well which rates him a PDT_Armataz_01_37 from me!

http://www.wimp.com/interviewdeference/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 am

Canadian paddlers van Koeverden, Oldershaw win silver, bronze

Quote:
Canadian kayaker Adam van Koeverden won silver in the men's K-1 1,000-metre final at the London Games on Wednesday while teammate Mark Oldershaw followed that up with a bronze in the men's C-1 1000m canoe final.

Van Koeverden, of Oakville, Ont., led for most of the race at Eton Dorney before Norway's Eirik Veras Larsen passed van Koeverden in the final 250m.

Larsen finished in three minutes 26.462 seconds for gold, van Koeverden took second in 3:27.170 and Germany's Max Hoff made the podium with a 3:27.759.

"Overall I am happy with my race," van Koeverden said. "I tried to get as much air in my lungs and keep it going. Everybody is out there trying to win the race and I feel like my race plan went well. I was looking for a good finish. I can find the silver lining in silver."

It's van Koeverden's fourth Olympic medal. In the Athens Olympics, he won gold in the K-1 500m and bronze in K-1 1,000m, adding silver in the K-1 500m four years later in Beijing.

The 30-year-old was the top qualifier in the semifinals with a time of 3:28.209. Hoff was second (3:29.294) and Larsen was third (3:29.547).
Connect with van Koeverden, Oldershaw

Just minutes later, Burlington, Ont.'s Oldershaw came from behind in his canoe race to capture bronze in 3:48.502.

Germany's Sebastian Brendel won gold in 3:47.176, while Spain's David Cal-Figeroa held off Oldershaw for silver in 3:48.053.

Oldershaw, a third-generation Olympian and first of his family to make the podium, gave Canada its 13th medal of the London Games.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/canoekayak/s ... ay-12.html

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next